• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Movies/TV Movie Box Office, Releases, and Discussion

Movies Coming Soon August 5th, 2016

08/05/16
Nine Lives (2016)
Plot: An uptight businessman finds himself with nine lives... when he finds himself transformed into the family cat, and he's not exactly happy with the furry change of scenery.

08/05/16
Suicide Squad (2016)
Plot: You know them as the most devious and dangerous super villains of our time: Deadshot, Killer Croc, El Diablo, Enchantress, Slipknot, Harley Quinn, Captain Boomerang and The Joker... but the government knows them as The Suicide Squad - recruiting the baddest people on the planet for black ops missions in return for clemency. But how can you control those who have no control of their own?

From what I can tell, Nine Lives looks like The Shaggy Dog but with a dude turning into a cat instead of a dog. Probably not going to see it. Suicide Squad looks pretty good and now that it's coming out we can stop writing internet articles about Jared Leto being weird and I know a bunch of people who want to see it.

Also going to see Lights Out sometime this week with my dad and sister, looking forward to it!

NERVE was really good, surprised that it got the no. 8 spot. Anyway, not interested in the two movies that are about to come out, I'll probably watch Nine Lives though when it comes out on television.

Weekend Box Office (August 5 - 7, 2016)

1 Suicide Squad $135,105,000.00
2 Jason Bourne $22,710,000.00
3 Bad Moms $14,204,000.00
4 The Secret Life of Pets $11,560,000.00
5 Star Trek Beyond $10,200,000.00
6 Nine Lives $6,500,000.00
7 Lights Out $6,005,000.00
8 Nerve $4,900,000.00
9 Ghostbusters $4,800,000.00
10 Ice Age: Collision Course $4,300,000.00

I honestly wasn't expecting Suicide Squad to be number one, given that I've heard like, nothing good about it from anyone I know who saw it. Disappointing because I was looking forward to it.

Movies Coming Soon August 12th, 2016

08/12/16
Florence Foster Jenkins
Plot: Florence Foster Jenkins is a New York heiress with the dream of becoming a world-renowned opera singer. There is just the slight problem that she has absolutely no aptitude for singing whatsoever.

08/12/16
Pete's Dragon (2016)
Plot: A park ranger who grew up hearing tall tales from an old wood carver of a dragon who lives in the forest finds the stories may have a truth, at least to Pete, a young orphan who lives in the forest and claims his best friend, Elliott, is the dragon in question, even if Pete is the only one who can see him.

08/12/16
Sausage Party
Plot: A lone supermarket sausage wants to know the truth about what happens when the "chosen" leave the grocery store. Enlisting the help of some fellow products, he won't stop until her learns the truth - no matter how down and dirty things get.

Weekend Box Office (August 12 - 14, 2016)

1 Suicide Squad $43,770,000.00
2 Sausage Party $33,600,000.00
3 Pete's Dragon $21,501,000.00
4 Jason Bourne $13,620,000.00
5 Bad Moms $11,450,000.00
6 The Secret Life of Pets $8,840,000.00
7 Star Trek Beyond $6,800,000.00
8 Florence Foster Jenkins $6,580,000.00
9 Nine Lives $3,500,000.00
10 Lights Out $3,220,000.00

Sausage Party - Budget $19 million - SUCCESS
Pete's Dragon - Budget $10 million- SUCCESS
Florence Foster Jenkins - Budget $19 million - FAIL

I've heard surprisingly positive things about Sausage Party now that it's out. I'm mildly curious, but the shaky cam is probably still a dealbreaker.

Movies Coming Soon August 19th, 2016

08/19/16
Ben-Hur (2016)
Plot: A Jewish nobleman finds his family ruined after being falsely accused of a crime and betrayed by his friend, a Roman. After surviving years as a slave, he rises from the depths and vows revenge for his betrayal.

08/19/16
Kubo and the Two Strings
Plot: Kubo is living a quiet, normal life in his village when a vindictive spirit from the past turns his life upside down. Now, the target of monsters and gods alike, Kubo will have to seek out a magic suit of armor, one worn by his late father, a legendary samurai warrior.

08/19/16
War Dogs
Plot: Based on a true story - David Packouz and Efraim Diveroli and two party-hearty bros living in Miami who discover an exploit that allows small business to bid on government contract. Starting small, things get out of hand when they find themselves under a $300 million contract to arm the U.S. allies in Afghanistan.

Pete's Dragon - Budget $10 million- SUCCESS

The reported budget was $65 million, and that doesn't take into account additional costs like marketing, distribution, etc. It won't be a massive flop on the scale of The BFG, but unless it performs significantly better at the international box office, it won't be much of a success story either.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom