• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Movies 1, 2, 3 to be released on DVD, Blu-ray in Australia and New Zealand: Available

Status
Not open for further replies.

BulbaBot

Dreams of electric Bulbasaur
Reaction score
Movies 1, 2, 3 to be released on DVD, Blu-ray in Australia and New Zealand: Available December 2

Beyond Home Entertainment, the official distributor of the Pokémon anime in Australia and New Zealand, will release the first three Pokémon movies on DVD and Blu-ray in Australia and New Zealand on December 2, 2015.

Read more on Bulbanews

Re: Movies 1, 2, 3 to be released on DVD, Blu-ray in Australia and New Zealand: Avail

Sucks how these are still out of print in the USA. I would do anything to have those in widescreen even if they stick to the outdated dvds and not get a bluray release, but pokemon is awful here in terms of the anime releases.

Re: Movies 1, 2, 3 to be released on DVD, Blu-ray in Australia and New Zealand: Avail

Man, the Aussies seem get all the good home media.

(and just hope they don't get eaten by Tazmanian Devils :uhoh:)

Well, the season 3 Set for the US was announced around July 30th to be released November 10th. As such, there's a small chance something like this could be announced for the US this year (I'm confident the movies will get printed in America again at some point), but I think it's more likely that we'll see them next year. Would be nice to know if there were any special features, even if they were just carried over from the original releases.

Is that Spinda "PokeCollection" logo new? Edit: Never mind, that's who posted the image.

Well, the season 3 Set for the US was announced around July 30th to be released November 10th. As such, there's a small chance something like this could be announced for the US this year (I'm confident the movies will get printed in America again at some point), but I think it's more likely that we'll see them next year. Would be nice to know if there were any special features, even if they were just carried over from the original releases.

Is that Spinda "PokeCollection" logo new? Edit: Never mind, that's who posted the image.
If it does happen, which I hope it does, I don't expect Viz to shell out for Blu-rays, or the special features. At least the movies would be in widescreen.

At the very least, you should be able to buy them digitally in HD, like you can with movies 8 & 9. As far as special features, honestly I'd be happy if they just brought over the ones from the original discs, though new ones would be nice.

At the very least, you should be able to buy them digitally in HD, like you can with movies 8 & 9. As far as special features, honestly I'd be happy if they just brought over the ones from the original discs, though new ones would be nice.
True, but I prefer DVDs… it might just be me, but it seems like TPCi and Viz are focusing their physical media-based efforts on the season sets (complete or not*), while TPCi is keeping the films to themselves, only releasing some of them digitally. Again, I could be wrong, and both companies could be planning something (it is the 20th anniversary next year, so it makes sense to hold off, I guess), but for now, i'm a little worried.

True, but I prefer DVDs… it might just be me, but it seems like TPCi and Viz are focusing their physical media-based efforts on the season sets (complete or not), while TPCi is keeping the films to themselves, only releasing some of them digitally. Again, I could be wrong, and both companies could be planning something (it is the 20th anniversary next year, so it makes sense to hold off, I guess), but for now, i'm a little worried.

Sucks how these are still out of print in the USA. I would do anything to have those in widescreen even if they stick to the outdated dvds and not get a bluray release, but pokemon is awful here in terms of the anime releases.

Tell me about it. Even if you get all the DVD's released in the US, you still have a TON of episodes missing. (Obviously the handful that were banned for dubbing from Kanto, Jynx episodes from Orange and Johto, some random ones in Johto, a few ones in Hoenn.) Meanwhile Australia has absolutely everything except the Side Series episodes and the "banned from outside Japan" episodes.

Honestly, I would love if the TPCi got over the "sensitivity" issues and recolored Jynx from black to purple in all episodes she appears in and just release the entire anime (The Six Regions, the 18 movies, the Side Series episodes and the Pikachu Shorts) in massive box collections, including newly dubbed versions of Porygon (with the version that was slowed down to prevent seizures) and Dratini and the full version of Beauty And The Beach. -_- I would love the full, unedited versions of everything in English.

This is honestly the best news I've heard in a while. I spent ages just a few weeks ago trying to track down HD versions of the early films online, and then later trying to find a PAL DVD of the first film, which yielded nothing that cost under $120.
What would make this news perfect is if the fabled "Uncut Story of Mewtwo's Origin" was included as a special feature with Movie 01... but I won't count on it.

Tell me about it. Even if you get all the DVD's released in the US, you still have a TON of episodes missing. (Obviously the handful that were banned for dubbing from Kanto, Jynx episodes from Orange and Johto, some random ones in Johto, a few ones in Hoenn.) Meanwhile Australia has absolutely everything except the Side Series episodes and the "banned from outside Japan" episodes.

To be fair, Australia doesn't have Movie 6 or 7. Beyond has been working on getting the rights to Movies 4-7 from Miramax, but they haven't yet; however, since this release means they successfully got the rights for Movies 1-3 from WB, it could happen.

On the other hand, Australia does have the entirety of Pokemon Chronicles, as well as several other special episodes (including the first PMD special, Origins, Mastermind of Mirage Pokemon, Mewtwo Returns). I think the only special episodes Australia doesn't have on home video are the ones not released in English anywhere. This is why I love Beyond.

This is honestly the best news I've heard in a while. I spent ages just a few weeks ago trying to track down HD versions of the early films online, and then later trying to find a PAL DVD of the first film, which yielded nothing that cost under $120.
What would make this news perfect is if the fabled "Uncut Story of Mewtwo's Origin" was included as a special feature with Movie 01... but I won't count on it.

That's on the Australian Mewtwo Returns DVD. That was released by Warner Bros. in Australia, so I don't know if Beyond got the rights to Mewtwo Returns along with these three movies (but I hope so). It's worth noting that the Australian Mewtwo Returns DVD is NTSC, for some reason.

The Pikachu shorts aren't mentioned at all, which I infer to mean they aren't there. Likewise, if "The Uncut Story of Mewtwo's Origin" was on there, I would expect it to be advertised too. It could be the case that Beyond only got the movie rights from WB and nothing else.

Last edited:

To be fair, Australia doesn't have Movie 6 or 7. Beyond has been working on getting the rights to Movies 4-7 from Miramax, but they haven't yet; however, since this release means they successfully got the rights for Movies 1-3 from WB, it could happen.

On the other hand, Australia does have the entirety of Pokemon Chronicles, as well as several other special episodes (including the first PMD special, Origins, Mastermind of Mirage Pokemon, Mewtwo Returns). I think the only special episodes Australia doesn't have on home video are the ones not released in English anywhere. This is why I love Beyond.

Lucky! I once tried to buy all the Beyond DVD's until I realized Australian DVD's don't work in American players... :'(

As I said in the other thread, it's obviously what we've seen on Pokemon.com recently so don't expect any extra material, just the movies themselves in widescreen.
The only thing I don't get is why they don't include "Mewtwo Returns" if they got all the WB movies (well, Pokemon.com didn't put it up yet either but I was sure they'll do it after Movie 3... now I'm not sure of that anymore... also, the "Mewtwo's Origin" thing was initially a bonus in the Mewtwo Returns DVD, not part of the actual movie, so even if they released Mewtwo Returns they'll probably not include it, or any other bonus material)

Knowing Beyond they probably won't include the origin special because it wasn't originally released with the first Movie,

No. They literally can NOT include it if they only got Movie 1.
That was never part of Movie 1 officially (speaking of the American and pretty much the "global" outside-Japan version of the anime)
It was a bonus on the Mewtwo Returns DVD. The only chance for it to be released again is a Mewtwo Returns re-release but EVEN THEN it probably wouldn't be included since just like the movie re-releases, they'll probably only get the actual movie, without any bonus material that the original DVDs included.
So it's really not their fault.

just like how 2 episodes with Charmander are in the Orange Islands set because like Pokemon.com they went with original US air date instead of chronological order,

These two episodes are officially placed where they're placed and there's absolutely no reason a company releasing a show on DVD to mess with the official episode order.
Does it make sense? No, but it also doesn't make sense to place the Riolu two parter in between the Crasher Wake two parter, yet we have to accept the fact that this is the official order whether we like it or not, whether it makes sense or not.
It may have not been the originally intended order but for all intents and purposes, that's the official episode order and will forever be so for any official TV airings and releases.
So no, this is not their fault either.

they also left out Beauty and the Beach for a similar reason.

That, again, is not their fault at all.
"Beauty and the Beach" is a special stand-alone 20 minutes episode that was like some special/bonus material that is officially not a part of any season package.
When a company buys the rights to Season 1 they obtain episodes 1-52, when they buy Season 2 they obtain the next 52 episodes or recently due to the "let's retroactively ban Jynx eps" thing it'd be the next 49 episodes.
"Beauty and the Beach" is not a part of either of these two packages, or any other package for that matter.
Therefore any company airing or releasing the show in any form is not capable of obtaining it.

If Madman had the rights on the otherhand

Everything you listed would probably be exactly the same.

all the season 2 Indigo League episodes in one Indigo League set,

Australia didn't release an "Indigo League" set, they released a "Season 1" set. They're going by season, not by arc. So they rightfully gave us what they promised.

the rest of the series would also be released in titular sets rather than the 52 episode season sets that we have

That's the only thing of what you listed that could be possible if another company released it, since Viz chose to release by arc and not by season.
I don't personally see the appeal in that as that only raises the confusion fans have on the whole season vs arc subject. If that's the only issue though you can always just look up how the seasons are actually organized and know which box sets you should buy. Like, if you want all of Kanto, just get "Season 1" and "Season 2"

Australia didn't release an "Indigo League" set, they released a "Season 1" set. They're going by season, not by arc. So they rightfully gave us what they promised.

There was the Pokémon Kanto and Orange Islands Collection, which seemed to be intended for this purpose (since the Orange Islands have so few episodes there wasn't much point releasing them by themselves, although because it's "Kanto" as a whole it also includes Ruby & Sapphire episodes). There was also the Pokémon Season 1 & 2 - Limited Edition Collection, which seemed to serve a similar purpose.

There was the Pokémon Kanto and Orange Islands Collection, which seemed to be intended for this purpose (since the Orange Islands have so few episodes there wasn't much point releasing them by themselves, although because it's "Kanto" as a whole it also includes Ruby & Sapphire episodes). There was also the Pokémon Season 1 & 2 - Limited Edition Collection, which seemed to serve a similar purpose.

Oh right, well so Australia released the show both by seasons and by arcs. At least they seem to know the differences between the two and accurately include the episodes to match what they're advertising these box sets to be.
I just wish fans started using "arcs" when referring to... arcs... rather than "seasons" as evidently the two terms mean completely different things.

To be more on-topic: I do wonder what's the current status of "Mewtwo Returns" considering Movies 1-3 seem to have been given back to TPCI from WB, or at least some sort of deal was worked out between the two regarding these movies. It'd be a shame if "Mewtwo Returns" will be forgotten just due to being a direct-to-video movie rather than a cinema movie.
Also curious as to the Miramax movies (movies 4-7) - if TPCI made efforts to re-obtain the rights to the WB movies, they will probably try to do the same with the Miramax movies, although I guess it all depends on how much Miramax will want to cooperate.
Also what about the short movies that came with movies 1-3? They used to treat these as actual part of the movies, like released together on VHS or included in most TV airings, so they weren't treated as some DVD-bonus-only material... yet they're missing from all new releases. I wonder if they decided there is not as much demand for these since it's mostly just Pokémon-talking... which might also be why they don't bother releasing the newer short movies despite dubbing them so they make do with having it for a limited time on Pokemon.com (Which is really so pointless, if that's all they wanna do with it, might as well not bother dubbing it at all)

Also what about the short movies that came with movies 1-3? They used to treat these as actual part of the movies, like released together on VHS or included in most TV airings, so they weren't treated as some DVD-bonus-only material... yet they're missing from all new releases. I wonder if they decided there is not as much demand for these since it's mostly just Pokémon-talking... which might also be why they don't bother releasing the newer short movies despite dubbing them so they make do with having it for a limited time on Pokemon.com (Which is really so pointless, if that's all they wanna do with it, might as well not bother dubbing it at all)

The Pikachu and Pichu short has been banned in Japan since 2009, and I don't know how that'll affect non-Japanese releases.

Last edited:

The Pikachu and Pichu short has been banned in Japan since 2009, and I don't know how that'll affect non-Japanese releases.

It should affect releases outside Japan since the whole issue was the narrator person, which obviously got their voice replaced by the English (and any other language) voice actors... also, movies 1-2's shorts don't have any issues and they're still missing from these recent releases. I can only assume they don't think there's enough demand for these.

Oh right, well so Australia released the show both by seasons and by arcs. At least they seem to know the differences between the two and accurately include the episodes to match what they're advertising these box sets to be.
I just wish fans started using "arcs" when referring to... arcs... rather than "seasons" as evidently the two terms mean completely different things.
Well, glossing over the fact that what you're referring to technically aren't arcs, I was actually referring to a release that was by region (thus why there are Ruby & Sapphire Kanto episodes along with the original series Kanto and Orange Islands episodes) and a release that was just a pair of seasons. What you're incorrectly calling arcs haven't been released as individual units in Australia (except on VHS, when they released all the episodes up to "Friends to the End", but did still split them into "Series 1" and "Series 2").

To be more on-topic: I do wonder what's the current status of "Mewtwo Returns" considering Movies 1-3 seem to have been given back to TPCI from WB, or at least some sort of deal was worked out between the two regarding these movies. It'd be a shame if "Mewtwo Returns" will be forgotten just due to being a direct-to-video movie rather than a cinema movie.
Also curious as to the Miramax movies (movies 4-7) - if TPCI made efforts to re-obtain the rights to the WB movies, they will probably try to do the same with the Miramax movies, although I guess it all depends on how much Miramax will want to cooperate.
I don't know if TCPi got the rights back from WB. This appears to be Beyond getting the Australia/New Zealand distribution rights, not TCPi. Especially considering that even "Pokemon the Series: XY Set 1" is being published by WB, as are other movies (many of which have been broadcast on Pokemon.com). It's possible that TCPi only recently got the rights to online broadcast back from WB, but I'm very skeptical of that. The vast majority of Pokemon DVDs in the US are published by Warner Bros. and distributed by VIZ Media.

Last edited:

Oh, well... At least the "Mewtwo's Origin" thing is still somewhat reasonably easy to find online...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom