• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Mr. Mime belongs to Ash according to the official twitter?

I'm happy it's Ash's because I really like the species and I can't think of many Psychic (and especially, Fairy) type Pokémon that would suit him. If it was up to me though, I'd let Ash catch a different Mr. Mime (Kantonian, not its hideous Galarian cousin) or preferably, raise Mimey's offspring from an egg through Mime Jr. to Mr. Mime so they wouldn't have to retcon Mimey as Ash's or change its personality.

There aren't really a lot of Psychic types that are quirky enough or physically capable enough to suit Ash. Mr. Mime is one of those rare Psychic types that can do stuff besides psychokinesis and energy beams.

I'm happy it's Ash's because I really like the species and I can't think of many Psychic (and especially, Fairy) type Pokémon that would suit him. If it was up to me though, I'd let Ash catch a different Mr. Mime (Kantonian, not its hideous Galarian cousin) or preferably, raise Mimey's offspring from an egg through Mime Jr. to Mr. Mime so they wouldn't have to retcon Mimey as Ash's or change its personality.

Better yet imo, they shouldn't have given it to Ash in the first place. Even if we're assuming that it really was Ash's ever since the Kanto saga (and it's looking that way I guess?), I still think that out of all the Psychic types available, Mr. Mime is one of the ugliest ones. That's just my opinion of course but I'm stunned that kids actually liked Mr. Mime's portrayal in Defective Pikachu. :sick:

I admit I am disappointed. It looks like Mimey's been Ash's for two decades and we still haven't discussed how he could have won the Kalos League if he used Mimey against Alain's Charizard? For shame, BMGF. For shame. ;)
Please do not actually do that.
Better yet imo, they shouldn't have given it to Ash in the first place. Even if we're assuming that it really was Ash's ever since the Kanto saga (and it's looking that way I guess?), I still think that out of all the Psychic types available, Mr. Mime is one of the ugliest ones. That's just my opinion of course but I'm stunned that kids actually liked Mr. Mime's portrayal in Defective Pikachu. :sick:
Mr. Mime is just human-looking enough that I found his live action variant a bit creepy.

Saying that a Pokemon is only good enough to be a maid is pretty sad. It's as if all maids out there can only have that one purpose for the rest of their lives. It's especially weird for a mime that became a maid.

Mimey kicked ass in its debut. It's about time it had an actual trainer, temporary or otherwise.
The problem isn't just Mimey joining Ash's team like you've been assuming. It's the Why and How behind it, coupled with the current mentality of the writers.

The writers are not only going about avoiding having Ash capture a new Pokemon, they're also avoiding showing his reserves by taking the roundabout route and asspulling Mimey as his second at the tournament. This is coupled by the fact that they took the lazy way out and soft retconned Mimey being Ash's from the start. Keep in mind that they have absolutely no reason for this nonsensical roundabout mentality, yet they keep pulling it. There's also the Detective Pikachu pandering, although this isn't as much on an issue as the other stuff I typed. Many people wouldn't have minded Mimey joining Ash by actually showing an interest in battling and training alongside Ash and his Pokemon and later Ash asking/telling Delia about Mimey's intentions, something in a similar vein to the Aipom-Buizle trade. There's also the fact that Ash has no reason to not have a full team on hand when available outside of a fresh start, which this series obviously isn't.

If they had SS007 as an episode for what I described with regards to Mimey's intentions, then SS008 for the tournament with actual Battle Frontier relevance instead of the pointless filler it'll be, I can guarantee you that fan reception would have been warmer.

Last edited:
In hindsight it makes more sense than the assumption that his mother owns it somehow, despite of not being a pokémon trainer herself.

In hindsight it makes more sense than the assumption that his mother owns it somehow, despite of not being a pokémon trainer herself.

I don't know about that. We've seen other characters with their own Pokemon despite not really considering themselves trainers. Plus, there was no indication that Ash caught Mr. Mime for his mother. I just assumed that either Delia caught it or it just chose to stay with her without being caught kind of like how Meowth is part of Team Rocket despite not actually being caught by Jessie or James.

I don't know about that. We've seen other characters with their own Pokemon despite not really considering themselves trainers. Plus, there was no indication that Ash caught Mr. Mime for his mother. I just assumed that either Delia caught it or it just chose to stay with her without being caught kind of like how Meowth is part of Team Rocket despite not actually being caught by Jessie or James.
Mimey is indeed a strange case. In the first episode after its debut, Ash actually orders him to suck Misty's face, only for it to deny his order, and then his mother to claim that "Mimey only follow my orders" or something like that. Not sure what does that say or prove about this situation.

Wow, this is....strange. I mean, its obvious that since I haven't really been watching the new series, I wouldn't have known about Mimey having a new personality or joining the main cast, but this whole ownership thing is really weird to me. I've just always considered Mimey to be Delia's Pokemon this whole time. I mean, Ash has never once acted like Mimey is his Pokemon. Even when he'd show up with Delia, Ash barely interacted with him, nor vise versa.

Whenever Ash has visited Oak, you'd have Bulbasaur, Charizard, Bayleef, and even lesser used Pokemon like Muk and Tarous, among many others who would be so happy to see him. Mimey has never acted like that. I know he nevered travled with Ash or battled with him like the others, but still, you'd think there'd be some connection with them shown if they're meant to be Pokemon and trainer.

Ehhhhhhhhhhh, this whole thing just seems odd to me. I feel like in the back of my mind, I'm always just gonna consider Mimey to be Delia's Pokemon, or at least the Ketchum family Pokemon housekeeper.

Mimey is indeed a strange case. In the first episode after its debut, Ash actually orders him to suck Misty's face, only for it to deny his order, and then his mother to claim that "Mimey only follow my orders" or something like that. Not sure what does that say or prove about this situation.

Oh yeah. I forgot about how Mr. Mime ignored Ash's orders during its first few episodes. It kind of makes the decision to seemingly make it Ash's Pokemon more of a strange retcon with moments like that in mind.

I can only assume Ash is Miney's official trainer for some legal reason but it considers Delia it's companion. If I recall correctly, Clemont and Dedenne had that going on when it was really there for Bonnie but she was too young.

The whole thing feels like a bit of clumsy writing to cash in on Detective Pikachu. It's not really a huge deal, I think (bar the concerns over doing this instead of him using his older Pokémon that actually bonded with him onscreen), just really bizarre.

I can only assume Ash is Miney's official trainer for some legal reason but it considers Delia it's companion. If I recall correctly, Clemont and Dedenne had that going on when it was really there for Bonnie but she was too young.

At least we actually saw that Clemont caught Dedenne specifically for Bonnie because she wanted it. There wasn't anything like that for Mr. Mime and it would be even weirder since Delia would be more than old enough to have her own Pokemon. Besides that, I always thought it was strange that Bonnie didn't officially become Dedenne's trainer by the end of XY. She wasn't ten, but she was the one who actually bonded with Dedenne and took care of it. Clemont barely had any interactions with Dedenne or gave it any commands as its trainer, so she might as well be considered its real trainer.

Daren said:
The whole thing feels like a bit of clumsy writing to cash in on Detective Pikachu. It's not really a huge deal, I think (bar the concerns over doing this instead of him using his older Pokémon that actually bonded with him onscreen), just really bizarre.

Yeah, all things considered, it isn't really terrible so much as just a really weird decision. It reads more like an attempt to avoid using any of Ash's reserved Pokemon or at least prevents him from having to catch another Pokemon for the foreseeable future so that he doesn't only have Pikachu to battle with than anything else.

It reads more like an attempt to avoid using any of Ash's reserved Pokemon or at least prevents him from having to catch another Pokemon for the foreseeable future so that he doesn't only have Pikachu to battle with than anything else.
Naive though I may be for saying it, episode 12 makes me think reserves may still appear since they're introducing a World Championship instead of a regional league.

They might want to do an episode at Oak's ranch to give them all a quick introduction instead of just having them pop in, though. The Alola team would need to be done seperately, though honestly younger viewers are much more likely to have seen SuMo and be familiar with them than previous region teams. A younger boy or girl who saw SuMo and maybe even some of XY may very well still only know about Heracross from the internet.

Though honestly I'd be happy with him just starting to catch some new Pokémon soon.
Edit: From that perspective, Mimey may have been used to have him battle with someone other than Pikachu before introducing the idea of a World Championship and busting out his previous teams.

Last edited:
There aren't really a lot of Psychic types that are quirky enough or physically capable enough to suit Ash.

Since when was quirkiness a common trait of Ash's Pokémon? How many of them even have their own quirks? I can only think of a few (like Totodile and its dancing, Infernape and its Super Blaze ability, Krookodile and its sunglasses, Greninja and its Bond Phenomenon, Lycanroc and its berserk mode), so it definitely doesn't seem like a Pokémon being quirky automatically makes it fit to be Ash's.

Besides that, if they wanted Ash to have a quirky Psychic-type, why couldn't the writers have him catch his own Mr. Mime (maybe even a Galarian one, so as to give Ash his first regional form as well), instead of being given someone else's and then trying to justify it by saying that Mimey his from the start (which, based on the OG series, it's obviously not true). Or, heck, why not give him an Orbeetle? An UFO-looking Psychic-type that's able to float (giving it a unique quirk), is pretty bulky and as fast as a Mr. Mime (which I'd say makes it "physically capable enough" (if we go by game stats)), can use Light Screen just like Mr. Mime (while also having access to stuff like Reflect and Mirror Coat) and can also use some physical attacks as well.

I wouldn't think that Mr. Mime was a kind of Pokemon to fit with Ash to begin with. Admittedly, being associated with Delia for years didn't help matters either, but I think that there would be plenty of other Psychic and possibly Fairy types that would fit with Ash more so than Mr. Mime does. I don't know if I'd want him to get a Galarian Mr. Mime instead, but I do want him to get a regional form at some point during this series.

It's just straight dumb and stupid, a retcon through and through.

If Mr. Mime was Ash's, then why was he always treated like Delia's? Hell why did it even take him this long to use Mr. Mime? It's as terrible a retcon as Palpatine having a kid or one of JK Rowling's countless retcon. There have been plenty of times Ash has called upon reserves and he even used Pokemon he caught but never used during his Kanto campaign in the Indigo League itself! Remember how Krabby proved to be an absolute champ and Muk hugged the competition to death? At least Kingler not participating in the Johto League had a valid reason....

And it also makes Ash leaving his Alola team behind even more unsettling than it was. If Mr. Mime is chilling with Ash, why can't Incineroar be keeping Delia company?

And it also makes Ash leaving his Alola team behind even more unsettling than it was. If Mr. Mime is chilling with Ash, why can't Incineroar be keeping Delia company?

I don't know how leaving them behind was unsettling. At least they can keep Professor Kukui and Burnet company and I'm not sure if leaving them at Professor Oak's lab like all of his other Pokemon would have been that much better.

This is one of those things that, even though I know its now technically canon, I'm just gonna personally ignore it...lol.

This is just lazy. If they were really going to label Mimey as Ash's Pokemon, they couldn't even bother to throw in a flashback scene of Ash actually catching him? I'd still find it far fetched, but at least then you'd have the proof that it actually happened at some point. Instead, we're just supposed to watch Ash pull out Mimey's poke ball (which no one has ever known to exist before, and rightfully assumed didn't) and act like this was a thing all along? That's just disingenuous on their part.

The fact that this was done in place of Ash using a reserve or a newly caught Pokemon is even more maddening.

Is that a way to lazily give Ash his first Psychic-type and his first Fairy-type?
I didn't watch the episode, but why does Ash need Mimey to look after him? He also has a lot of Pokemon he can call on, including a Mythical.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom