• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Mr. Mime belongs to Ash according to the official twitter?

Back then in the end of 2018, Pokemon Heisei History counted it as one of his pokémon, and there was very little argument from fandom back then.

That's strange. I honestly don't remember hearing that before. If they considered Mr. Mime one of Ash's Pokemon before PM, then that makes it even more confusing. It still seems like a weird retcon. The notion that they wouldn't want to make it clear that Ash caught Mr. Mime for over twenty years is pretty ridiculous. I don't know if they could have already planning out PM by the time Pokemon Heisei History, but maybe they wanted an excuse to keep Mr. Mime with Ash due to the Detective Pikachu movie and threw that detail out there just in case.

Back then in the end of 2018, Pokemon Heisei History counted it as one of his pokémon, and there was very little argument from fandom back then.

That's because most people back then assumed it was a mistake; iirc people cited the absence of Noctowl (?) and the inclusion of Seaking on that chart as further evidence that there had been an error.

If I had actually seen this Pokemon Heisei thing myself back then I probably would've taken the side of the people who didn't take it seriously, but to be honest I think we all just need to learn to put up with the 'retcon' and move on. I don't see the good in getting upset over this subject when no change will come of it.

That's strange. I honestly don't remember hearing that before. If they considered Mr. Mime one of Ash's Pokemon before PM, then that makes it even more confusing. It still seems like a weird retcon. The notion that they wouldn't want to make it clear that Ash caught Mr. Mime for over twenty years is pretty ridiculous. I don't know if they could have already planning out PM by the time Pokemon Heisei History, but maybe they wanted an excuse to keep Mr. Mime with Ash due to the Detective Pikachu movie and threw that detail out there just in case.

Well for more proof he was included with all of Ash's Pokemon back during the Best Wishes era in the official japanese site, so the "retcon" if it ever happened was done almost a decade ago.

I really don't know why this discussion is going on, it was confirmed by the current and official japanese twitter account to be "Ash's Mr. Mime" why some people can't accept the fact it belongs to him Idk...

Well for more proof he was included with all of Ash's Pokemon back during the Best Wishes era in the official japanese site, so the "retcon" if it ever happened was done almost a decade ago.

I don't remember that either. Although, the other details from Pokemon Heisei History sound more familiar to me now, particularly with remembering Seaking, Raticate and somehow not including Noctowl.

Henry Suarez said:
I really don't know why this discussion is going on, it was confirmed by the current and official japanese twitter account to be "Ash's Mr. Mime" why some people can't accept the fact it belongs to him Idk...

I just find it more baffling and confusing than anything else. They've never really had any noteworthy interactions in any of the previous series, I don't think that Mr. Mime is particularly happy to see Ash whenever he comes back home and it's been associated with Delia far more than it has with Ash. But despite all of that, Mr. Mime is supposed to be considered one of Ash's Pokemon. If they did retcon this back in BW, then that makes it more confusing as to why they never bothered to clarify this much sooner. It still would have felt like a weird retcon if they had made it clear in BW, but maybe it wouldn't be as bad, especially when part of the backlash here was because it seemingly looked like they wanted to give Ash a Pokemon without having him either catch a new one or use one of his reserves. It's a really strange decision that really doesn't make sense to me. Regardless of whether or not this is a retcon, I just really think that they should have clearly established if Ash caught Mr. Mime back in the original series instead of ten or twenty years later.

That's because most people back then assumed it was a mistake; iirc people cited the absence of Noctowl (?) and the inclusion of Seaking on that chart as further evidence that there had been an error.
Well, he definitely caught a Seaking in OS168, same way how he caught a Beedrill. And there is a big difference between missing to add a pokémon he caught by mistake and adding a random pokémon by a mistake.

This is the first I'd heard that Noctowl was missing so I looked it up and yep, he seems to be AWOL.
Kinda funny they remembered Seaking, Beedrill, and Raticate, but not poor Noctowl.

Unless...
...unless Mimey is Noctowl in disguise. :confused:
What if

Noctowl was never actually caught and this has all been its Hypnosis :unsure:

This is the first I'd heard that Noctowl was missing so I looked it up and yep, he seems to be AWOL.
Kinda funny they remembered Seaking, Beedrill, and Raticate, but not poor Noctowl.

Unless...
...unless Mimey is Noctowl in disguise. :confused:

Die you just watch the picture of it or is there a way to see the full special? Because I think more pokémon are missing from the picture. Charizard for example.

Maybe those pokémon are offscreen from the picture? Or they forgot them but they included pokémon Ash owned for less then an episode like Raticate (traded back), Beedrill (given to Casey) and Seaking (released because of the rules of the fishing tournament)... They were so worked up by details, they forgot some really important ones.

Die you just watch the picture of it or is there a way to see the full special? Because I think more pokémon are missing from the picture. Charizard for example.
I saw a clip. After the group picture there's a bit where Ash's Pokémon move across the screen right to left--Charizard was there, but I still didn't notice Noctowl (though to be fair that part's rather crowded), and it included an entire Tauros herd instead of just one.

I saw a clip. After the group picture there's a bit where Ash's Pokémon move across the screen right to left--Charizard was there, but I still didn't notice Noctowl (though to be fair that part's rather crowded), and it included an entire Tauros herd instead of just one.

Well I'm glad the individual Tauros all got some love for once. I hope it were 30 Tauros. ;)

I’ll consider mimey an official ash Pokémon, but I hope ash gets a psychic type and fairy type Pokémon of his own.

Better yet imo, they shouldn't have given it to Ash in the first place. Even if we're assuming that it really was Ash's ever since the Kanto saga (and it's looking that way I guess?), I still think that out of all the Psychic types available, Mr. Mime is one of the ugliest ones. That's just my opinion of course but I'm stunned that kids actually liked Mr. Mime's portrayal in Defective Pikachu. :sick:
I'm happy it's Ash's because I really like the species and I can't think of many Psychic (and especially, Fairy) type Pokémon that would suit him. If it was up to me though, I'd let Ash catch a different Mr. Mime (Kantonian, not its hideous Galarian cousin) or preferably, raise Mimey's offspring from an egg through Mime Jr. to Mr. Mime so they wouldn't have to retcon Mimey as Ash's or change its personality.
I can think of few psychic types for ash. Espeon, Orbeetle, Gallade, Meowstic, and Medicham.

But Mimey is already Ash's so why does he need another Psychic or Fairy Pokemon? Why can't Mimey fill that vacancy?
Because of the fact that it’s a complete asspull that they even claim that it’s his Pokémon in the first place considering that not only has it been with his mother since day 1 but at literally no point was it shown to have been captured or under his command before the Battle Frontier episode. And considering he’s the main character that the show has exclusively followed for over 22 years, there’s no excuse for such a claim as all of his captures have been shown (or confirmed in the capture episode as was the case with Lapras). It’s honestly insulting to those who have followed the anime that they just expect everyone to just eat up such obvious malarkey.

Delia told Mimey to look after Ash. It turned out that meant more than just cleaning his underwear, seeing as Ash doesn't even care about that. God forbid should Mimey not follow Delia's every whim even when she isn't around (he's still doing what she asked, but that isn't the point).

They could have just had Ash catch a brand new Mr. Mime and I guess that would have been fine? I'll take the Mr. Mime I already know.

Delia told Mimey to look after Ash. It turned out that meant more than just cleaning his underwear, seeing as Ash doesn't even care about that. God forbid should Mimey not follow Delia's every whim even when she isn't around (he's still doing what she asked, but that isn't the point).

They could have just had Ash catch a brand new Mr. Mime and I guess that would have been fine? I'll take the Mr. Mime I already know.
Look after is not the same as come under one’s ownership. When a Pokémon who is known to be a caretaker is told to look after someone, that implies be their caretaker as they’re someone you trust to take care of that person. And given how they’ve basically retconned it’s personality into a meme of the Detective Pikachu Mr. Mime, yea I’d rather it be a new Mr. Mime. Hell, with this being part Gen 8, it could have even been a Galarian Mr. Mime for the sake of advertisement.

Catching a new Mr. Mime would have been better. At least it would have been a weird retcon seemingly done so that Ash didn't have to catch a new Pokemon before Dragonite or rely on one of his reserves. If they did change Mr. Mime's personality and make it more of a strong battler, then it isn't really the same Mr. Mime we've known either. There was no indication prior to that episode that Mr. Mime could be good in battle. With those kind of changes to its behavior and retconning it to make Ash his trainer, it would have been simpler to have Ash catch a brand new Mr. Mime instead. While I don't think the Galarian form would have fit him, at least that would have been more interesting too.

I keep going back to this, but Japanese sources have listed Mr. Mime as Ash's Pokémon for years now. This isn't really as much of a surprise to them, and I've gotten used to it already. Mimey's battle debut was competent and made me want to see more.

I keep going back to this, but Japanese sources have listed Mr. Mime as Ash's Pokémon for years now. This isn't really as much of a surprise to them, and I've gotten used to it already. Mimey's battle debut was competent and made me want to see more.

Even with other Japanese sources on this topic, it still doesn't make sense to me. If Mr. Mime has been considered Ash's Pokemon for years, they never made that clear within the anime itself for over two decades. Ash never really had any noticeable interactions with Mr. Mime, never showed any interest or desire to use it in battle, which one would think he would have for at least the Indigo League, it never gets that excited to see Ash return from a journey and Mr. Mime has been glued to Delia pretty much since its debut. Even if this wasn't a retcon for PM specifically, I'd still say that it's really bad decision to not make a capture like this clearer from the start.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom