• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Mr. Mime belongs to Ash according to the official twitter?

I'd also prefer Ash to catch a different Mr. Mime - if they wanted Mimey connection, Delia could've just give Ash an egg (few episodes with Mime Jr. wouldn't hurt).
It couldn't be Galarian Mr. Mime though, because it's Kantonian one that's popular.

I don't remember that either. Although, the other details from Pokemon Heisei History sound more familiar to me now, particularly with remembering Seaking, Raticate and somehow not including Noctowl.

I just find it more baffling and confusing than anything else. They've never really had any noteworthy interactions in any of the previous series, I don't think that Mr. Mime is particularly happy to see Ash whenever he comes back home and it's been associated with Delia far more than it has with Ash. But despite all of that, Mr. Mime is supposed to be considered one of Ash's Pokemon. If they did retcon this back in BW, then that makes it more confusing as to why they never bothered to clarify this much sooner. It still would have felt like a weird retcon if they had made it clear in BW, but maybe it wouldn't be as bad, especially when part of the backlash here was because it seemingly looked like they wanted to give Ash a Pokemon without having him either catch a new one or use one of his reserves. It's a really strange decision that really doesn't make sense to me. Regardless of whether or not this is a retcon, I just really think that they should have clearly established if Ash caught Mr. Mime back in the original series instead of ten or twenty years later.

Well... technically Mr. Mime is one of the reserves thanks to the retcon.

I keep going back to this, but Japanese sources have listed Mr. Mime as Ash's Pokémon for years now. This isn't really as much of a surprise to them, and I've gotten used to it already. Mimey's battle debut was competent and made me want to see more.
To be honest I wasn't impressed considering he has a huge type advantage over Hariyama, and as soon as something it was even with came in he tagged out.

It'll be really bizarre if Ash enters the World Championship with a Mimey, who he never caught or seemed to train.

I'm on the side of those who say that Ash should have just gotten a different Mr. Mime instead of the writers deciding that Ash needed to reclaim the one from Pallet Town. Like damn let Delia at least have a Poke friend.

Yeah I wish that Ash had caught a Galarian Mr. Mime although I guess that the reason why he didn't is because the Kanto version of Mr. Mime is the most popular variation and that's what needed to be promoted...?

Ash wouldn't train a new Mr. Mime any more than he's doing with Mimey. This series, like virtually all of them bar DP, isn't about training.

It would still feel less random for Ash to have a new Mr. Mime as opposed to just using Mimey. The lack of training still might be an issue, although not specific to Mr. Mime in that case, but the real problem most people have with this decision is just how sudden and weird this retcon is to begin with.

Yeah I wish that Ash had caught a Galarian Mr. Mime although I guess that the reason why he didn't is because the Kanto version of Mr. Mime is the most popular variation and that's what needed to be promoted...?
I think we all know the reason Kantonian Mr. Mime was picked: Detective Pikachu Mr. Mime memes.

Detective Pikachu + Galarian Mr. Mime isn't a mime. It's a tap dancer/comedian as Mr. Rime (literally called the Comedian Pokemon)

They wanted the Mr. Mime that actually does mime stuff.

I'll take the Mr. Mime I already know.

Except that Mimey's personality has been so overhauled that it might as well be a brand new Mr. Mime in all but name. It now behaves like Detective Pikachu's Mr. Mime (with it making weird faces for no reason and using mimed objects to help around, even when it's not helpful (which goes against how it was portrayed in the past, with it always doing anything it can to help around)) and it's shown to not only be interested in battles all of a sudden, but that it is also good enough in them to be able to take out a stronger and more experienced opponent very quickly despite having never fought in an official one before. The writers might as well have given Ash his own Mr. Mime (instead of them taking Mimey away from Delia and saying that it was Ash's all along) and it wouldn't have been any different (outside of it making being a far better writing decision, that is).

I’m fine with him owning this one, and I accept that the decision for him to own one may have been made years ago, perhaps right from the start.

but I do maintain the complaint that absolutely nothing prior across 20 years of the TV series indicated that Mimey was caught by Ash, not the debut episode, not ever.

Care to elaborate on why?
The previous commenter actually explains it pretty well.
I’m fine with him owning this one, and I accept that the decision for him to own one may have been made years ago, perhaps right from the start.

but I do maintain the complaint that absolutely nothing prior across 20 years of the TV series indicated that Mimey was caught by Ash, not the debut episode, not ever.

The previous commenter actually explains it pretty well.
Honestly, I don’t believe that to be the case with the first point because had that actually been the case, there would be some form of evidence or even hint at it belonging to him somewhere within the past 20 years of the anime. I feel that that is a massive hole in the logic on the part of them trying to make that claim. It’s essentially like a scientist making the claim that the sky is plaid; sure they may be in the position where they’re more of an expert, but they presented no evidence on their statement for it to be proven true. I feel that the decision to include Mimey in this was based on the popularity of the Mr. Mime in Detective Pikachu as shown by how they utilize the Mr. Mime faces and miming gag, something that was never present before.

The second portion, I completely agree with.

All this talk about Mimey makes me wonder if it would have been a better idea to just have James reclaim Mime Jr, make it evolve and have it act like Detective Pikachu’s Mr. Mime. If all, that would have also given an excuse to make Team Rocket appear more often, too.

Admittedly, it would be still kind of weird to see a different Mr. Mime with Team Rocket after it had been associated with Delia for so long, but since Mime Jr. was adorable and had a sweet relationship with James, I would have been happy to see it return. It also would have felt potentially more natural for it to act like Detective Pikachu's Mr. Mime as opposed to Mimey. Mime Jr. was already primarily used for comedy relief and imitated other Pokemon and people a lot more often than Mimey ever did, so that kind of behavior carrying over after it evolved into Mr. Mime would have fit. Plus, having more of an excuse for Team Rocket to appear more often would be a nice bonus.

I think he means that Ash wasn't actually shown catching Lapras in that episode, as in we never saw Ash use a Poke Ball to snag it.
But in that case, it was at least implied that Ash would have caught Lapras, not to mention that he did bond with beforehand.

Mimey's case is an absolute mess. They decided to use Mimey to avoid having to write in reserves as well as the Detective Pikachu pandering. Fine... the Japanese audience considers Mimey as Ash's capture but that part specifically was never reinforced in the actual anime itself. They could have done something as simple as a 10-15 second narrated still frame flashback to show how Ash caught Mimey. Instead, they canonized Mimey as Ash's on Twitter of all places and that too after the episode released. Pretty lame and lazy if you ask me.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom