• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Music that just happens to fit your characters?

Kelleo

Secret Sword of Justice
Reaction score
So, I had started recording my singing again after not doing so in a long time (because I wanted to improve it first), and it got me thinking about how my friend showed me some music awhile back that he thought fit one of his characters. I then started thinking about what music would just so happen to work well with some of my characters. Have you ever decided that a song you like should be a sort of theme for your characters?

In the case of FE: Dawn of Darkness, I personally think "Go the Distance" from Disney's Hercules fits Bryan to a T. Bryan's backstory is a lot like that of Hercules in this movie, though I was never actually intending that. Both of them grew up shunned by others and felt like something was missing and they belonged somewhere else. I think Bryan could even sing this song word for word and it would make perfect sense. The lines about being strong would refer to his mental/emotional strength more than physical, but yeah.

And while I'm on Bryan, I also think "I Didn't Know That I Could Feel This Way" from Lady and the Tramp II fits him and Faline as a couple (seeing as they're one of DoD's couples). Faline was never sure that she would ever find a man worthy of her heart, and Bryan didn't know the first thing about love period (besides the definition of the word, of course). Bryan singing Scamp's lines and Faline singing Angel's even works nicely.

Staying on DoD, I think "I Won't Say I'm In Love," also from Hercules, fits Azura around the point where she starts developing feelings for Leyon and is all in denial about it. lol

Ike and Elincia are canon FE characters, but I like "Love Will Find a Way" from The Lion King II for them due to the way I wrote the story of their relationship. Certain obstacles complicate their being together, but they literally believe that love will find a way to bring them together peacefully, without the need for secrecy or anything.

Lastly, I like Elton John's version of "Can You Feel the Love Tonight?" for a couple that I've yet to include in a story, but plan to eventually. I'd say "Love Will Find a Way" can also fit though, seeing as this couple also has some obstacles getting in their way.

For Zelda: The Ancient Power, I actually made up a theme myself for Kelli, it's a fuller version of the song she teaches Link. Judo though, I like this one song from a Twilight Princess trailer for him. I'd have to go digging for it at this point though.

And in a comedic sort of way, I like "I'm a Believer" by the Monkeys for Frederick and Kelli (yes, I have another character named Kelli now) in my FE: Awakening stories. Specifically for Frederick's side of the relationship. lol For a more serious theme for those two though, I like "Happy Together" by the Turtles. In fact, one of my stories about them uses the same title.

That's all I've thought of at this point. I might find more "themes" in the future though, who knows?

For the longest time, I've felt the Gloria Estefan song "Reach just screamed "Ash" (not just the Ash we know and love, but my imagining of him, as well.

If you listen to the song, you'll notice the words just sound like Ash:

[video=youtube;RTatFx6Nwt4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTatFx6Nwt4[/video]

I've always imagined Ludivico Einaudi's La Nascita Della Cose Segrete be to be Josh and Eve's theme. I listened to it quite a lot when it came to writing the end of the Azalea Town arc

[video=youtube;KHUQCx969m8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHUQCx969m8[/video]

(Oh, it worked!)

Last edited:
I have particular pieces of music (all of which are soundtrack from either a game or film) in mind for most of my characters. At some point after starting to upload the story, though, I'm planning to start a competition in which readers (assuming I get some) can try to find music which they think suits each character, which might be quite entertaining. Therefore, it might not be an especially sensible thing to do to disclose what music I match with whom here. Not implying that anyone reading this is actually going to read my story, but you never know. Maybe I'll even get some sort of award. Ha. Who do I think I'm fooling?

So yes, most of my characters have dedicated music from something or other, but I can't disclose exact details here for sake of competition. Sorry.

One of the traveling companions my MC of my second story arc meets is ex-military, specifically a tanker. While he is typically cool headed, he will not hesitate to give somebody a complete and total ass-whooping. In this regard he has gained the nick name "Blitz" which I believe is best represented by this song, "Ghost Division".

[video=youtube;keXfiffBzFw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keXfiffBzFw[/video]

Well, I'm in early stages of planning a Pokemon world story about a rock band on tour, so obviously music is heavily on my mind. I have a long Spotify playlist of classic rock, but in particular, my main character's anthem would probably have to be either The Breeders' cover of Happiness is a Warm Gun, David Bowie's Look Back in Anger, or Elton John's The Bitch is Back.

In Yu-Gi-Oh! Gates of Time, due to moments that, if that chapter were instead an episode of an animated series (which there are one or two chapters I'm planning out which I think would work better as videos than written), certain songs would be established as the leitmotif of each protagonist. For Michael, it would be the Legend of Zelda main theme, due to him being the descendant of Ocarina of Time's Link (who, in card form due to the character himself not actually appearing, also gets the song whenever something big happens involving him). Kaiba (not the canon Kaiba, mind you) gets the intro of Duel Madness (which most fans of the original series know as the "Kaiba hacking theme"). Alexander Garnet (who was just introduced in the last chapter posted) has Gaur Plains, the BGM of the Bionis' Leg in Xenoblade Chronicles (chapter four has three more Xenoblade tracks associated with both him and the remainder of the duel, but saying them now would be spoilers, so sorry). The next protagonist, who's coming soon in the story, has a bit of a tale to her for the song. What I can reveal without major spoilers is that she's a duelist in an underground dueling league where everyone wears masks and has different dueling personas (a lot like professional wrestling, but completely unscripted), and the top duelists get theatrical entrances, complete with an entrance theme. Her main trick is using her, well... female charms to fluster any male opponents she has (and the occasional woman, if she has THAT kind of info on her opponent) and get them playing sloppy. Her theme's "Legs" by ZZ Top, and yes, she does know how to use them.

The last one, I haven't formally chosen one yet, but the current placeholder song is the original series's main theme. As for them as a group, whenever an especially epic team moment occurs (or just serving as a Theme Music Power-Up as the catalyst for such a moment) is a mash-up of their individual leitmotifs (much like the one remix of "Pursuit - Cornered 2001" from Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney, "Unlimited Corners"), with varying degrees of the individual songs, and which ones are used at that moment, depending on the characters involved in the moment.

Finally, there's Navi the fairy (yes, THE Navi from OoT that everyone hates because of her voice clips whenever she wants to talk). Her's is the song Overfly, the second ending theme from Sword Art Online. But not the original Japanese version. The English adaptation by Amanda Lee (of the YouTube channel LeeandLie), to be exact. To find out why, you'll have to wait for her to explain it much later (during the third arc of GoT, when things get really serious).

I've never really thought of theme songs for the characters in One Big Conspiracy, which is weird because that's kinda been my shtick for years. Jimmy's developed into an out-and-out badass, so he'd have something heavier with lyrics about battle and victory, like "The Warrior" by Disturbed.

Winona is notably much calmer compared to Jimmy and Flannery, though she's still a free-runner and flying ace. For her I usually go with the Red Hot Chili Peppers' cover of "Higher Ground" by Stevie Wonder - and not just for the name. It's upbeat and funky, and the lyrics can be compared to Winona's desire for everyone to be happy.

Speaking of Flannery... she isn't exactly mentally stable. That, combined with her constant anger explosions and panic attacks, pretty much makes her a lock for Megadeth's "Sweating Bullets."

Wallace is tricky, as he's generally an easygoing, nice guy. He's an artist, and considering he almost got on a plane that would explode on takeoff, I guess "Artist In The Ambulance" by Thrice could kind of qualify, as he's pretty much getting a second chance at life.

Finally, Gengar is "Dead Man's Party" by Oingo Boingo. While he's a friendly joker that likes to have fun, don't forget he's also a ruthless ghost fighter that can and will fuck you up if you mess with him, his trainer, or his friends.

A number of my characters have battle themes.

• Joanie Aimes: "Number One" — Hazel Fernandes (first theme) / "Saturday Night's Alright for Fighting" — Elton John, covered by Nickelback (second theme) — As a musician herself, Joanie would be quite likely to choose her own battle theme, and both of these pieces are the type of music that ignites her fighting spirit.
  • Collie Calloway: "The Blue Danube" — Johann Strauss II — Collie is a bit of an airhead, and waltzes through her battles like she's walking on air. So a calm, cheerful waltz as her battle theme seems appropriate, if dissonant.
  • Annie Jameson: "Hura-Mafa Flow" — Gali — Annie's nature as a tech-wiz/programmer, exemplified by a heavily-modded Porygon-Z being her main fighter, makes this ominous techno-dance track a perfect fit.
  • Bella Austin: "Ichirin no Hana" — High and Mighty Color — There's a specific reason for this one, but it's a plot spoiler, so just trust me for now.

• Icira Witherflame: "The Radio Tower Takeover" — Junichi Masuda, arr. Shinji Miyazaki — Icira's particular flavor of battle is based more on careful strategy than brute force, almost like a game of life-size chess. This pondering, yet foreboding theme conveys Icira's state of mind quite effectively.

That's all I've got for now.

This arrangement of a piece of music from Unreal Tournament would fit Peter Sine to a T:

[video=youtube;pYXVdgvjQAE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYXVdgvjQAE[/video]

A clearer, high-quality audio link

It fits Peter in part because it sounds like something he'd compose, and part because it defines his character, or at least how he believes he is. It takes a simple idea, a simple line, and builds on it, sculpting a soundscape with impressive yet subtle depth. It's less about immediately making an obvious in-your-face impression, but more about a crisp, cleanly crafted auditory immersion, fading back and letting the listener settle in. Yet even then, after the listener has had time to settle into the soundscape, the music comes out and makes its impression, standing up and out, but still firmly constructed on the success it had before.

Many of the songs on Muse's latest album, Drones, fit my Xenoblade Chronicles fanfiction—so much that I renamed the piece after it (and the chapters after the individual songs). The album tells the story of someone who has been subjugated and turned into a "human drone" (which would appear to be an oxymoron, but it refers to how someone in command is controlling the person and having them kill for him so he does not have to get directly involved). I can't say too much about my fic without having to explain a bunch of things about Xenoblade (I'll still have to post some spoilers for the connection to be at all clear), but it explores the backstory of the character Xord. Xord, a dedicated father and blacksmith, is taken and turned into a Faced Mechon—a monstrous fusion of man and machine—to be used as a weapon by the antagonist. He tries to resist, but eventually he is made subservient and loses sense of who he was. By the end, he's a psychopath who delights in killing and consuming people for his leader. The events of the story don't really go along with the songs in album order, but they fit well if they're rearranged.

Hmm... interesting topic. When it comes to my story (Psychic Duelist Django), I often envision certain music or songs that fit the situation or character, albeit unintentionally. In my case, however, as I don't listen to much music (well, music with lyrics, anyway), as a lot of songs get stuck in my head and annoy me to no end as a result, I often listen to video game music or songs that have non-English lyrics. It's strange, I know, but that's how it works for me. But moving on, here are some music I feel would fit my characters and/or various situations.

Django:
With him, as the main hero, a number of music pieces seem to fit him. The ones that seems the most notable to me are the Japanese opening for Megaman NT Warrior (Break Through the Wind) and the BGM Engraved Memories from Megaman Star Force. The former seems to fit him during most of his events, such as Duels, activating hidden powers like Divine Soul Mode, and his desire for a better future, while the latter seems to reflect his deep-rooted sorrow and pain from the brutal loss of his family by Lucifer. Self Determination from Breath of Fire 3 works as a battle theme for him against Lucifer.

Lucifer:
As the main villain of the series, a few pieces of music come to mind for him. The first is Under Pressure from Breath of Fire 4, which seems to reflect his cunning and devious nature along with his tendency to make everyone tense just by being present. The second is A Crisis from Breath of Fire 2, which gives off a feeling of desperateness when someone challenges him due to his superior powers and skills. Voice from the Dark also seems to fit his evil, vicious, and blood-thirsty desires. Rotten Dragon's Breath from Breath of Fire 3 also fits him as it emphasizes on his cunning, evil, underhanded, and stealthy mentality.

Tempest:
As the female lead and Django's love interest, a couple come to mind. First is More Than Words from Breath of Fire 2, which not only makes one envision her tender moments with Django, but also of her own pain of being abandoned and betrayed by her race. The song We'll Be There from Yu-Gi-Oh! Music to Duel By, also fits her, as it not only shows her loyalty to the gang, but also how she'll stand by Django's side to the end, no matter what happens.

Cody:
Two pieces of music come to mind for him. The first is Blazing Internet from Megaman Network Transmission (Fireman's stage), while the second piece is Brave Heart from Breath of Fire 4. The former reflects his fiery, outgoing nature while the latter gives a courageous vibe that reflects his never-dying fighting spirit, along with the fact he uses Heroic Champion/Challenger monsters, which fits his nature well.

Leo:
For Leo, there is one music that fits him like a glove: Life's a Beach from Breath of Fire 3. Not only does it reflect the nature of his deck (WATER monsters), but it also shows his energetic and excitable personality.

Fiona:
The music that I feel fits her perfectly is Healing from Breath of Fire 3. It's soothing sound reflects her gentle, caring, supporting nature, as well as her honed empathy ability.

Duels:
For Duels, Tiger Power and Donden from Breath of Fire 3 seems to fit the bill nicely. Just seems to be the right pitch, tone, and style for most Duels. In much higher-stake Duels, such as against Kain, Lucifer and/or Number 96, Surge of Power from Megaman Battle Network 6 works well, as it sounds high-stake and aggressive, which is what both villains tend to Duel in that nature, while in Kain's case it's because he's an arrogant, proud, and high-and-mighty character with a large fondness for brute power. Desperate Fight also works well here, especially when a character is cornered or someone (namely Django), is struggling to fight back during a Psychic Duel. Summon the Dragon from Yu-Gi-Oh! Music to Duel By, also fits for most high-stake Duels (fitting, don't you think?).

Avalon:
When it comes to Avalon, one piece of music fits him: Castle Wyndia from Breath of Fire 3. It has a noble sound which Avalon embodies, plus it shows his respectful and loyal nature to the Spirit family, seeing them as the true kings of the Psykinoxes.

In general, during the gang's day-to-day adventures, the music Our Journey from Breath of Fire 2 fits well. It has both a feeling of adventure, braving the unknown, while still dealing with daily events.

That should about cover it. Wow, long-winded post.

Tregrenos, a villain designed after MissingNO., was inspired by Stone Sours "Absolute Zero". Tregrenos was created to give the RP a proper villain, someone who looks and acts like a puppet until he decided to cut the strings and destroy the OPs world. Though, he was not malice. No, he was an artist. He viewed the world as an ongoing play and he wanted to maintain the spotlight. He was the conductor and the screams of the innocent, fear and panic were his music. He was ongoing, everliving, unable to truly die, so his gift to everyone he killed was a magnificent conclusion to their life. Well, at least in his eyes.

However, as the song states, he simply "wasn't the hero". The world was at a turning point and he felt it needed a villain. In a seperate story, "The Story of Yewer", there was already a villain who was close to Tregrenos. When revived Tregrenos took on the role of a hero, though he did get some enjoyment at the torment of the previous stories hero unable to do anything against Tregrenos, unable to tell the fools who thought of him as a hero of his wicked crimes in fear that he might turn on them. Tregrenos knew the "hero" feared this and pushed him, sering if he could break the "hero" verbally before departing.

Unfortunately, due to the actions of the forum moderators I was unable to finish the story. Banned for "sock puppeting" due to creating a second account named Tregrenos whose only role was to give the story depth. When the ban ecpired the RP was moved to the "Archives" forum, which meant nobody would ever see it. Debated for a week, but the moderators effectively killed the story and wouldn't relocate it back to active RPs.

This is not really one specific character that fits this music, but rather a specific scene, or should say a specific period of a specific character that fits this music so well.

It is a song called 0.vers sung by SawanoHiroyuki[nZk]:mizuki. Originally featured within an anime opening song album. But this song is not used within that anime, I think it is not used in any anime either.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fn1X13VgBwI

What I really like about this song is not only just the heart-breaking and desperate atmosphere yet that sophisticated sentiment of yearning for that 'special one' of the first person, but also the lyric itself. It just portray perfectly that deeply agonizing emotion of one of my specific character in one specific scene. Every time I listen to this song, I feel like my heart is tearing apart in the exact same way like him during that scene.

This was what I planned for my current Pokemon crossover fic after halfway where many major events had already happened (Through, I do have to say there is still a looooooooooooooong way until my fic actually reaching that point).

Raye Arakawa, the second main character within my fic, a cool-looking but anti-social tsudere guy having a scarred heart due to his wounded past. He possess a Gallade (formerly Ralts) since childhood that knows his "true kind self" now sealed deep inside his heart. Despite his trainer is always hold a surly and aloof attitude towards anything except his pokemons, Gallade cares about his master profoundly, always hoping one day Raye will open his long-shuttered heart and regain his former self like what he was during the childhood.

However, after one major event in the halfway of the overall story, Raye oppositely closed his heart more tightly than before. Previously as he was still being lenient on his own pokemons, now he doesn't show any concern to them at all. Even with the mind-reading power of Gallade, all he could intercept from the heart of his master is just a "black hole", or more correctly speaking "emptiness". As a important sidenote, Gallade was purposefully laid off by his trainer during that previously mentioned major event, so Gallade doesn't know the reason that cause the darkening of the heart of his trainer. As Gallade wanted to know the details about it, but afraid to question his master, he was agonize during that period of doubtfulness. That was a battle of skepticism vs loyalty.

Then, things gone worse as Gallade insisted on unquestioning his master. After a short secretive incitement conversation between Raye and the Villain, as the latter wanted to scout the former to join them. Raye during that time had already felt completely indifferent towards the activity called "battle", hoping for something that may stimulate his benumbed heart, so something more exciting which is called "war". Although he didn't affirm immediately as he was stopped by Gallade, but not long after as there was a combat with another force where all the main characters are fighting to protect a town, Raye's Gallade during this battle performs so badly as he was not only unable to read the thought of his master, but having too much of previous concerns hindering his in-battle decisiveness. After then, that Villain appears in front of everyone, specifically pointing towards Raye, "If you felt unsatisfied about the previous battle, come with me and I'll provide you with satisfaction". As every other is being cautious and ready to battle that Villain, the induced Raye stopped everyone, and surprise to every other he agreed to join them. As Gallade wanted to persuade his master not to do so, Raye destroyed his pokeball returning him to the state of "no owner", and just fling off these words: "You are no more my pokemon and I'm no more your master. If you dare to stand in my way, ......then I'll take you on just like any other wild pokemon I encounter in the field", and disappeared together with the Villain.

Those words and reaction of Raye, could any of the spectators truly understand how deeply it hurts Gallade, as during that time the pokemon is still devoting his body and soul wholeheartedly to his former master? Atsusi, the protagonist of this fic, was unable to comfort Gallade, can only watch from the side this abandoned pokemon shed into tears......

Last edited:
I was writing a fanfic with Mewtwo in it and, while various songs have bounced back and forth, I think "See Emily Play" by Syd Barrett's Pink Floyd would make a neat leitmotif for him.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom