• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Musical missed opportunities in Smash

Reaction score
After going through a Street Fighter binge, and listening to its music I feel that they could have added more songs from that series to Smash. But why stop there? There area lot of songs from other series that could have worked in Smash. So what songs would you have liked to be in Smash?

Here's my list:

Street Fighter Alpha - Charlie's Theme
Street Fighter Alpha - Dan's Theme
Street Fighter III - Alex and Ken's Theme
Pokémon Ruby/Sapphire - Battle! (Vs. The Three Golems)
Pokémon FireRed/LeafGreen - Battle! (Vs Deoxys)
Pokémon Emerald - Battle! (Vs. Frontier Brain)
Mario Kart 64 - Rainbow Road
EarthBound Beginnings - New Age Retro Hippie Battle
Baten Kaitos - The True Mirror
Baten Kaitos - The True Mirror (Electric Version)
Baten Kaitos Origins - The Valedictorian Elegy (Electric Version)
Final Fantasy - Chaos Shrine
Final Fantasy III - Battle Theme
Final Fantasy IV - Battle with the Four Fiends
Final Fantasy V - Battle at the Big Bridge
Final Fantasy VI - Dancing Mad
Final Fantasy VIII - The Man with the Machine Gun
Final Fantasy IX - Not Alone
Final Fantasy X - Otherworld
Mega Man - Kaze yo Tsutaete
Undertale - Death by Glamour
Strider - Level 1

new remix for: Pokemon Main Theme, Gen II wild battle theme, Gen III gym battle, Gen IV gym battle.

Gladion's theme was trash, the instruments were horrible. bout it

I forgot to mention this one:

EarthBound 64 - Trailer Theme

Yes, I know that the game was never released (technically), but the song is still in the soundtrack of the final game.

I want to them to add more FF music both from VII and other installments (lol at that though). I definitely agree with your pick of Man with the Machine Gun from VIII and Not Alone from IX, other tracks from the series I'd go for are:
Maybe I'm a Lion - FFVIII
Don't Be Afraid - FFVIII
Only a Plank Between One and Perdition - FFVIII
One Winged Angel - FFVII (yes I know it's hella overrated and it's not even my favorite either, but they did miss an opportunity with this)
Cosmo Canyon - FFVII
Birth of a God - FFVII
JENOVA - FFVII
Final Fantasy IV Main Theme - FFIV
Golbez, Clad in Dark - FFIV
MYSTIC RE-QUEST I & II - FF Mystic Quest
Hill of Destiny - FF Mystic Quest
Rock 'n' Roll - FF Mystic Quest
Battle to the Death - FFVI
Searching for Friends - FFVI
Terra's Theme - FFVI
YuRiPa, Fight! No.3 - FFX-2
Apocalypsis Noctis - FFXV

From Pokemon I'm fine with what we've got, but to add a few more then:
Giratina Battle Theme - Pokemon Diamond, Pearl, & Platinum
Bede's Theme - Pokemon Sword & Shield
Gym Leader Battle Theme - Pokemon Sword & Shield

Likewise I'm fine with what we got from most FE games, but Fates doesn't have great representation aside from Lost in Thoughts All Alone. I'd say keep both the Japanese and English versions, and let other tracks from it shine. So:
Justice RIP (Storm) - FE Fates
Road Taken (Roar) - FE Fates
You of the Light - FE Fates
You of the Dark - FE Fates
End of All (Land, Sky, & Below versions) - FE Fates

Now for other FE tracks (well just 4 & 5, I love their OST):
Prologue ~ Birth of the Holy Knight - FE GotHW (seriously this also should've been in imo, especially for FE4 music rep)
For Whose Sake - FE GotHW
Seliph's Theme - FE GotHW
Thracia Army - FE GotHW
Fateful Showdown - FE GotHW
Versus Julius - FE GotHW
Blow'in in the wind - FE Thracia 776
Wind - FE Thracia 776
Leif's Army Seeking Victory ~ Scouting for Enemies - FE Thracia 776
World Map C - FE Thracia 776
Pressing Threat ~ Dark Bishops - FE Thracia 776
Pressing Threat ~ Final Chapter - FE Thracia 776

Last edited:
for pokemon: battle! red, Battle! rival (gen 2), victory lies before you!, ANY of the black 2 white 2 remixes, assaulting rose tower, team rocket hideout (gen 1) battle! primal reversion, battle! cyrus, mt coronet, battle! gym leader (gen 4), and pokemon mansion.

for final fantasy: J E N O V A, one winged angel, the extreme, battle on the big bridge, dark messenger, you're not alone, a fleeting dream, don't be afraid, battle 1 FF9, FF10 battle theme, the decisive battle, dancing mad, stand your ground, somnus, FF12 boss battle, blinded by light, cosmo canyon, theme of final fantasy, terra's theme, theme of final fantasy 4, searching for friends, and the victory fanfare.

for dragon quest: the overture, great battle in the vast sky, the time of the decisive battle, pyramids, unknown world, a lonely youth, the observatory, orgodemir, the dragonlord, ramia's theme, and the orchestrated versions of the songs we already got.

for metal gear: rules of nature, theme of the patriots, and senator armstrong's theme.

for street fighter: akuma's theme (SF2), theme of akuma (SF4) theme of abel, theme of balrog (SF4),theme of balrog (SF5) theme of ken (SF4), crazy chili dog, jazzy NYC (3rd strike), crumbling laboratory, volcanic rim, and lair of the four kings.

for xenoblade: battle in the skies above, drifting soul, uncontrollable, zanza the divine, beyond despair and hope, the power of jin, and deathmatch with torna.

for pac man: anything from world 2.

for persona: never more, the original I'll face myself, burn my dread, anything from arena, dance!, wiping all out, backside of the TV, backside of the TV lotus juice remix, a new world fool, master of shadow, master of tatarous, shin mitsuo tensei, your affection, itawordi dorm, heaven, the whims of fate, and the fog.

for fire emblem: expedition, holy war, a song for bygone days, a battle and a beginning, truth despair and hope, determination, beneath a new light: roy's courage, the long road, a dark fall, alight, end of all, what lies at the end, the sacrifice and the saint, and dark emperor hardin.

for mario kart: rainbow road SNES, toad's factory, and mario circuit (super circuit version)

for mario as a whole: cackletta's soul, bowser's castle (new smb), bowser's road, and popple battle

for DKC: tiki tong song, irate eight, lockjaw's saga, seashore war, homecoming hijynx, welcome to crocodile isle, fear factory, music madness, life in the mines returns, aquatic ambience.

for warioware: tomorrow hill, body rock, and pirates.

for sonic: all hail shadow, dreams of an absolution, his world, time eater, titanic monarch act 2, ruby delusions, final boss of sonic advance, neo green hill zone, emerald hill zone, mystic cave 2 player, and doomsday zone.

for megaman: wily stage 1 (8), sigma's theme, and neverending fight
for LoZ: clock tower theme, eclipse of the sun, silent guardians, zelda's lullaby, and ballad of the wind fish.

for kirby: studying the factory, mind in a PROGRAM, sullied grace, the greatest warrior in the galaxy, the masked king, the original 02 battle, returning to dreamland, fountain of dreams (nightmarein dream land), dyna blade's theme, and darkness returns.

I got a lot don't I, I bet that isn't even it.

Last edited:
for street fighter: akuma's theme (SF2), theme of akuma (SF4) theme of abel, theme of balrog (SF4),theme of balrog (SF5) theme of ken (SF4), crazy chili dog, jazzy NYC (3rd strike), crumbling laboratory, volcanic rim, and lair of the four kings.
I didn't know Akuma's Theme was missing, but I didn't include Yun and Yang's theme considering that there might be issues there (although maybe Capcom fixed them).

So, a few themes they could have added to Smash:

Battle! Black Kyurem/White Kyurem [Black 2/White 2] (Remix)

Battle! Marnie [Sword/Shield] (Original)

Rainbow Road [Super Mario Kart/Mario Kart 8] (Original)

Shadow Battle [Four Swords Adventures] (Remix)

You know, seeing my extensive list of songs from my last post just makes me wanna add more

but the problem is I want songs from other franchises by the third parties, like get over it from yakuza kiwami, battle b2 from shin megami tensei IV,and daredevil from ace combat 7: skies unknown.
As for actual ones: It seems I missed I am all of me in the sonic section and god shattering star from the FE section last time.

Last edited:
but the problem is I want songs from other franchises by the third parties, like get over it from yakuza kiwami, battle b2 from shin megami tensei IV,and daredevil from ace combat 7: skies unknown.
Well, after what happened with Sans and Cuphead, I can see DLC being used as a workaround for that. Or in the case of SMT, if there's a Smash 6 and Joker comes back, they could use them for a new SMT/Persona stage.

If if recall, Sakurai said 3rd party music costs money, but even so. Couldn't they cut a couple of the robot master stages?
Also Sakurai: Makes an entire SNK album with fifty songs.

For me it's the total lack of XenoBlade Chronicles X and Hyrule Warriors music, like seriously no love for Zelda's biggest spin-off? Nor from the best game that was on the Wii U? Though for the former they would probably have to get some royalties from Hiroyuki Sawano which considering how big of a composer he is outside of the video game industry, yeah, I can kinda see why.

I'm gonna hold off on more XenoBlade Chronicles 2 just in case Rex & Pyra are added to the roster as DLC, which I'm still hoping for so much.

I just thought of a few more:

Octarmaments [Splatoon 2] (Original) Unlike Octoweaponry, this one is based on when the Octarian boss is in its final phase rather than the first phase like what Octoweaponry used.

Battle! Pokemon Trainer [Diamond/Pearl] (Remix)

Battle! Giratina [Diamond/Pearl/Platinum] (Remix)

Going through my post again I forgot to put in a few tracks from my second favorite FF game, Type-0, so to fix that:
Tempus Bellum
We Have Arrived
Divine Fire
Horror of the Abyss
War: Warrior Worth a Thousand
Show of Power
War: The White Weapon (<-- this one is especially my favorite)

And some more miscellaneous tracks that most likely won't make it in but is a nice fantasy of mine:
Caiaphas Woods - Zwei!!
Klopp Caverns - Zwei!!
Kenopi Volcano - Zwei!!
Dapne Desert - Zwei!!
Fight!! Attack of Pokkle - Zwei!!
Seize the Day - Tokyo Xanadu
Eclipse - Tokyo Xanadu
Strayed Into Passage - Tokyo Xanadu
Hazy Moon - Tokyo Xanadu
Spiritual Wall - Tokyo Xanadu
Horrifying Disaster - Tokyo Xanadu
X.R.C. - Tokyo Xanadu
Gather's Under Night - Under Night In-Birth
Night Walker (Linne's theme) - Under Night In-Birth
Unknown Actor - Under Night In-Birth Exe:Late [st]
Erudite Eyes (Chaos' theme) - Under Night In-Birth Exe:Late
Monochrome Memory (Seth's theme) - Under Night In-Birth
Flying Bird Sings of Freedom - Norn9
Discover Your Power - Norn9
Peril - Amnesia: Memories
Mahoroba no Sora - Ken ga Kimi: Momoyo Tsuzuri

(yes I admit I want more of my favorite obscure game OST's (and characters) in but I know that won't happen; especially with my last four choices being from visual novels, specifically otomes, that's gonna be near impossible)

with king of fighters 15 trailer due in one and a half hours, I thought I should add to the SNK list 50 songs isn't enough

namely goodbye esaka from KoF 2000, and ANYTHING from garou mark of the wolves, why nothing from that got in is beyond me.
maybe the tekken 7 remix of soy sauce for geese and the cyber edit of a kiss for geese from art of fighting 2, because you can't ever have enough geese howard when he's the face of SNK boss syndrome.

Going to try sticking my song choices to games that did release on Nintendo Consoles in the past as seems to be a reoccurring theme for song choices in the SSB series.

Dancing Calcabrina - Final Fantasy IV
Battle on the Big Bridge - Final Fantasy V
Force Your Way - Final Fantasy VIII
The Extreme - Final Fantasy VIII
Boss! - Plok (although it probably couldn't be used as from what I understand, the composer is rather uppity about the use of their music on anything really)
Mad Mew Mew (Dummy Remix) - Undertale Switch Edition
Natural Killer Cyborg - Mother 3
What I'm Made Of - Sonic Heroes
Beta Battle theme for what the original version of SSB was going to be if a song existed for fights at the time of production

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom