• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

My Battle Frontier/Real Life Tourney Team

Steel Trainer

Reaction score
Okay. My guidelines are as follows:

Only three Pokemon
All three at Lv. 50
No legendaries
No Wobbuffet
No baby Pokemon

And I don't do EVs. I don't have practically ANY of this team built yet and EV's just take even more time. I still have a Hoenn Dex to fill and about 160 BP to rack up. Oi...

Typhlosion
Blaze
Quick Claw

Flamethrower
Thunderpunch
Counter
Body Slam

Sceptile
Overgrow
(no item chosen yet... please help)

Leaf Blade
Crunch
Dragon Claw
Thunderpunch

Aggron
Rock Head
Leftovers

Double-Edge
Iron Tail
Rock Slide
Counter/Earthquake/Brick Break. I need decisions to be made.

Okay, this is it. Please give me help or ideas or SOMETHING. I'm not even going to be able to fill my entire Pokedex on my own because I own Ruby and Emerald. There is one Pokemon that you can't get in either: Lunatone. So Typhlosion, the Pokemon I grew up with on Pokemon Gold Version, may be but an unreachable dream...

You could always get a copy of Sapphire. Aside from Lunatone, you would get a whole-new set of TMs.

Anyway, in my opinion, even if you don't worry about breeding for Individual Values, you should probably worry about Effort Points. It isn't that hard. Natures, too, should have attention paid to them.

For Typhlosion I suggest 252 Speed, 252 Special Attack and 6 HP. The same for Sceptile. Both should be Timid in Nature.

For Aggron, 252 Attack, 252 HP and 6 Defense. Why HP? It will also help him against Special Attacks. I suggest an Impish or Adamant Nature.

Looks good, though I'd have to recommend this Sceptile variation:

Sceptile@Lum Berry
Modest Nature
EVs: 252 SPD, 252 SA, 6 HP
Thunderpunch
Safeguard
Leaf Blade
Endeavor/Crunch/Dragon Claw

You'll pack a punch with this moveset. This is particularly good in cases of foes who use Will-O-Wisp, Toxic, etc. Endeavor has proven its worth to me time and again, but you can try Crunch or Dragon Claw over it if you feel uneasy about it. But keep this in mind...it sure is fun to hit an Endeavor on a Blissey or Snorlax when the time is right.

In case you're unsure of how to get Sceptile Endeavor, the easiest way would be to raise a male Mudkip to level 46, teach it Endeavor, and breed with a female Treecko. A Pokemon veteran could tell you it's worth the wait(myself excluded from this particular recommendation, of course). There are other ways...but it'd involve a bit of chain breeding, and I don't get the idea that you're intent on waiting that long. If you don't have a Lum Berry...it shouldn't be long before you obtain one. I believe a specific phrase will get you one...but I don't recall it offhand.

As for Typhlosion, I'd say drop Body Slam. Instead, give it Sunny Day or Quick Attack. Sunny Day has the obvious perks, while Endure will help you avoid problems like Endure/Reversal. Counter doesn't work particularly well on Typhlosion, but it can be a nice surprise. I'd advise against leaving it out against stronger Pokemon with powerful SE attacks(such as Tyranitar with Rock Slide), which you wouldn't do with this moveset, anyway. To sum it up...drop Body Slam for Sunny Day or Quick Attack(preferably Quick Attack) as it can really be a lifesaved.

Typhlosion
Timid Nature
EVs: 252 SA, 252 SPD, 6 HP
- Flamethrower
- Thunderpunch
- Quick Attack
- Counter/Sunny Day

As for your Typlhosion problem in the catching aspect...I'd have to recommend seeing if you can't borrow a friend's Sapphire version or renting it from a local gamestore.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 19 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom