• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

My beautiful poorly upscaled color corrected gen 1 sprites

I have used the trainer fly glitch to get a Gengar early. It's godly early game. I do run into issues with the terrible TM system in the early games. I have no idea why they thought it was a good idea. Mega Drain is a TM it could reasonably learn without taking from other pokemon at least.
I'm lucky to be able to use Gengar. I heard from someone else in one of the other threads that Gengar is a staple of their teams. I have no idea how they managed that. Trade evos are evil. Link cables should be in every pokemon game from now and I'm angry they aren't in SV.

Attachments

• trainerfly.jpeg
    trainerfly.jpeg
    34.7 KB · Views: 18
  • Give up..png
    Give up..png
    3 KB · Views: 54
These are rough. Here I have the gym leaders. These aren't really color picked so they are in a bit of a different clothes. It's really noticeable with Erika, but she looks amazing in green and gold. I think I painted these awful sprites in a new light. :)
Anyway the firered sprites for these babies are terrible too. Let's Go has the best looking trainers they only fumbled on the Super Nerd which sucks but bleh. I mean if you want a good looking Blaine play Let's Go. Let's Go is honestly the best looking game on switch and the trainer models are most of the reason.

Attachments

• Gym Leader Squad.png
    Gym Leader Squad.png
    7.3 KB · Views: 22
Okay I lied this Onix is the reason. The model sizing looks gorgeous. Why didn't SS do this? I honestly prefer the fixed battle backgrounds to the seamless transition in SV. Mixed with the trainer sprites and the amazing battle music it just feels right. All Let's Go really needs a better Super Nerd model, standard catching mechanics, a more streamlined RBY story, non gen 1 evos, link cables, and no version exclusives. I'll like a bit of gen 1 cheese though.

About Drowzee and Hypno, boy these guys got hit hard with the special split. They're like the 3rd best gen 1 psychic type in RBY though so that's keno.

Attachments

• The Onixing 2- Attack of the Pendulum .png
    The Onixing 2- Attack of the Pendulum .png
    3.9 KB · Views: 19
I might as well paraphrase what Bumbles Mc Fumbles said about Electrode. It runs to power plants to eat electricity which causes it to float and must fall, on your house and explode. Anyways these Mimics are very charismatic and fun, and fills me with joy. Electrode is my favorite of the two, look at it enjoying life. Anyway, why are these things yellow in the sprite work? The official watercolor is red and amazing.

Attachments

• Yellow Ballers .png
    Yellow Ballers .png
    1.4 KB · Views: 15
May I offer you an egg during this trying time? Six of them in fact, and this giant palm tree.

Seriously though exeggcute has terrible sprites in RBY the green one is the most decent. I have no idea what they were smoking with its blue sprite. Exeggutor is blessed though it is an amazing pokemon. Its top in competitive gen 1 and beyond that Alolan Exeggutor is the second best regional form IMO. Even in its squat stunted Kanto form it just looks silly.

Attachments

• Endless Eggs.png
    Endless Eggs.png
    3.1 KB · Views: 28
After Revernen's latest video now I have a keen interest in Lickitung. Too bad I have to sacrifice a Slowbro for it. This is why I am completing the pokedex in my one game of pokemon blue just for an excuse to get MARC the Lickitung. I have no idea why they thought the trade was okay btw Lickitung ain't that good. It learns Swords Dance for some reason but it ain't that good.

Attachments

• Its Likalung!.png
    Its Likalung!.png
    1.4 KB · Views: 20

Attachments

• New York; Los Angeles .png
    New York; Los Angeles .png
    2.8 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Giovanni is a trainer who exists. He may have the most dialogue besides Blue in the Kanto games he is still boring. The most interesting thing about him is his battle prowess, or lack thereof. In Red/Blue it is simple he doesn't use TMs (expect fissure on Rhydon) which causes every pokemon he has expect Kangaskhan and Dugtrio to have a simply terrible moveset. Combine that with Guard Spec we have a trainer on the level of Surge and Bruno. In yellow, Giovanni is apparently decent; good for him! In Lets Go Giovanni is one the easier Gym Leaders but Lets Go is actually a bit harder than base RB in my experience. The reason I'm yapping on about this is in Fire Red, Giovanni has two Rhyhorn for some reason instead of one Rhyhorn and a Rhydon. Why? I have no idea why the so-called "greatest trainer" whose gym requirement in Lets Go is to be the 8th gym leader would ever have two Rhyhorn.

Attachments

• Two Rhyhorn am I right_ .png
    Two Rhyhorn am I right_ .png
    3.2 KB · Views: 19
Ah, the Queen of the Safari Zone, Chansey! It has an amazing shiny, it is part of the big three, and is a pain to catch. The lucky egg baby with the lucky punch that takes advantage of its incredible base 5 attack, when you could just run eviolite. The fat egg fiend that is so bulky in the already so bulky gen 1 metagame that a super effective submission from a Machamp will not OHKO it. Chansey is truly a beautiful pokemon and you should watch Mah-Dry-Bread's vids on it.

Attachments

• Lucky.png
    Lucky.png
    1.2 KB · Views: 17
Tangela is one of my favorite pokemon. It may be ass in RBY but in Lets Go I had a Tangela on my winning Elite 4 team and it struck the winning blow. Her name is Jordan and she is a perfect life form. I had to move tutor sleep powder on it but it was worth it. It's just such a smol thing with the cutest little booties. Too bad there's no eviolite in Lets Go it would be so useful. It would be good on the partner pokemon, Golbat, Chansey, and especially Rhydon and Tangela. (I mean I get its supposed to be more like classic gen 1 with no abilities no EV system and no held items, they should of gotten rid of nautures though, as they weren't in gen 1 and 2 and I hate natures.) If they are gonna force us to use NFEs for so much of the game at least make them better.

P.S. I get it was to make it more simple for the Pokemon Go crowd, but its dose feel more gen one to hit a dig on a Wheezing and to not worry about Leavate ever and to stuff your pokemon with candies without worrying about a limit.

Attachments

• Constrict God .png
    Constrict God .png
    1.2 KB · Views: 25
Ah, Giovanni's other iconic pokemon in my mind Kangaskhan! Giovanni should had 6 pokemon of Onix, Dugtrio, Nidoqueen, Nidoking, Kangaskhan, and Rhydon. If we allow cross gen evo, the Onix should be a Steelix. The Rhydon should hold an eviolite. It's just odd that he just got rid of his best pokemon up to that point in his gym battle. I get that Kangaskhan isn't a ground type but that didn't stop Sabrina! :annoyedVoltorb:

Attachments

• Mama and Sons.png
    Mama and Sons.png
    1.9 KB · Views: 19
Umm... I'm sorry how terrible the Horsea looks. The yellow sprite has such a big bobble head it looks terrible but its the only one with the correct stripes. I could have blue sprite I used tweaked a bit as I do sometimes but it's hard to do organically. I was SO tempted to use one of the gen 2 sprites for Horsea. Sedra does look good though. About the pokes themselves uhh... I have nothing to say. Lance uses one in Let's Go for some reason.

Attachments

• Hrhm....png
    Hrhm....png
    1.9 KB · Views: 20
Ah, Seaking! Unironically one of my favorite pokemon. I don't think much of Goldeen but it's fine. Seaking is honestly really cool it has lighting rod, gen 1 waterfall, and is the most mid gen 1 pokemon in existence. What's not to love!

Attachments

• Total Fin Enthusiast.png
    Total Fin Enthusiast.png
    2.8 KB · Views: 15
I actually like Mr Mime a lot. And this green sprite does paint Mr Mime is such a good light compared to its horrific 3d model. I really don't know what they were thinking with its 3d model as it looks fine in battle revolution. I mean that 3d model just sucks every bit of charm out of Mr Mime and it's sad to see.

Attachments

• Marcel.png
    Marcel.png
    1.5 KB · Views: 19
The worst of the good gen 1 bugs Scyther! What a movepool it has! In yellow, you may get wing attack to sweeten the pot at LV 50. What a glorious peck reskin at such an obscene level. In red and blue you have to mimic or bide to get past ghosts if you're doing a solo run or whatever. You don't even get the privilege of Body Slam. What a pokemon.

Attachments

• Kleve .png
    Kleve .png
    1.8 KB · Views: 28
So remember my terrible Butterfree? I did it again. Gamefreak actually color corrected one of the gen 1 sprites, yellow Jynx and they did so terribly. So I have two Jynx one Gamefreak style the other my style as I did with oddish.

Attachments

• Blackface.png
    Blackface.png
    2.1 KB · Views: 29
Back
Top Bottom