• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

My Big Problem with the Pokémon Anime - An Essay and a Rant

Let's bring a poll to this discussion. What do you think is more likely to happen first?

• Ash wins the Pokémon League and/or becomes a Pokémon Master

Votes: 29 34.1%
  • Our generation will pass away entirely

Votes: 56 65.9%

• Total voters
Don't misread me. Ash being in the beginning state he was at the end of a saga alone does not make it filler; it's the fact that he is unchanged in any manner in terms of age, accomplishment or character; no one needs to watch what Ash did in this saga to watch whatever is going on with whatever he does in the next region. At the end of every saga, every Pokémon he has barring Pikachu is gone, his traveling companions are all written out permanently, his rivalries are abandoned, his badges are now worthless, Ash and Pikachu are often soon to be made weaker, and so forth; all without any measure of progress or closure to the main premise of the anime. That is what makes the entire saga filler. This is precisely what happened with XY, and I predict the same thing will happen with Sun and Moon.

I still have more to respond to others later.

No duh. They want to keep the show accessible for newcomers. With there being six (and counting) Pokemon animes and over 1000 episodes combined between them, that's a necessity.

You're intended to view each region as its own self-contained show, not a continuation of what came before.

No duh. They want to keep the show accessible for newcomers. With there being six (and counting) Pokemon animes and over 1000 episodes combined between them, that's a necessity.
Actually, it isn't. They could do a better job with the writing instead.

You're intended to view each region as its own self-contained show, not a continuation of what came before.
That's not how they've done it, that's for sure. Otherwise they'd get rid of Ash a long time ago.

You have not refuted my points, just making excuses. How about you admit I'm right about on how Pokémon episodes become filler?

Actually, it isn't. They could do a better job with the writing instead.

That's not how they've done it, that's for sure. Otherwise they'd get rid of Ash a long time ago.

You have not refuted my points, just making excuses. How about you admit I'm right about on how Pokémon episodes become filler?

I don't need to refute anything because that's not how "filler" works.

it's the fact that he is unchanged in any manner in terms of age, accomplishment or character; no one needs to watch what Ash did in this saga to watch whatever is going on with whatever he does in the next region. At the end of every saga, every Pokémon he has barring Pikachu is gone, his traveling companions are all written out permanently, his rivalries are abandoned, his badges are now worthless, Ash and Pikachu are often soon to be made weaker, and so forth; all without any measure of progress or closure to the main premise of the anime.

That is what makes the entire saga filler. This is precisely what happened with XY, and I predict the same thing will happen with Sun and Moon.

I still have more to respond to others later.

Your argument as it stands says that filler is a matter of character. Filler by nature is an aspect of plot because you can have a plot with a static character from Sherlock Holmes to even the Mary Sues of fanfiction. A dynamic character isn't always necessary for a plot, especially when Ash is intended to be a flat character, per Shudo's notes, from the beginning in order to make interesting villains, hence why Team Rocket has a more extensive backstory.
Here is a typical plot of Pokemon Series:
  • Exposition - Ash finds out about the gym quest of a region and goes to compete in the league
  • Rising Action - Ash begins catching Pokemon, training them, forming rivalries, doing the gyms etc.
  • Climax - The last battle of the league
  • Falling Action - The dust settles, Ash loses, and accepts his loss
  • Resolution - Ash goes off to another region, still chasing a dream he has failed to let die of Shudo’s notes are anything to think about.

How about you admit I'm right about on how Pokémon episodes become filler?

You do not simply “become filler” because that implies a moment can be rendered filler retroactively without making it non-canon. Filler simply is. It's either not necessary to the structured plot from the beginning or is rendered non-canon.

Honestly, I think what you described may be one of the reasons why the writers have opted, for better or worse, for such a radically different formula with the Sun & Moon anime. A lot of people really seem to hate it, but I actually have kind of liked it more than I initially thought I would. In a way it kind of reminds me of Harry Potter or Winx Club, and for all the filler episodes it has, at least it's something different.

But I agree that it would've been MUCH better if they had just let Ash win the Kalos League, and then finally retired him as the main character. They could've easily brought in Sun/Elio in his place for the Sun & Moon anime. As different as the whole Pokemon School/Trials/Ultra Guardians idea is, I think it's a given that we will see some sort of Pokémon League get built just like in the games, and I'm sure Ash will lose to Tobias 2.0 there too.

Last edited:
The Kalos League was garbage even without taking Ash's loss into account

I wouldn't want him to go out on such an underwhelming league

And no, they're never replacing Ash for the reasons stated by TPC themselves over a decade ago:

kI6Zsfj.png

TPC themselves have likened Ash to Mickey Mouse, calling him an ageless icon and legend

Your argument as it stands says that filler is a matter of character. Filler by nature is an aspect of plot because you can have a plot with a static character from Sherlock Holmes to even the Mary Sues of fanfiction. A dynamic character isn't always necessary for a plot, especially when Ash is intended to be a flat character, per Shudo's notes, from the beginning in order to make interesting villains, hence why Team Rocket has a more extensive backstory.
Here is a typical plot of Pokemon Series:
  • Exposition - Ash finds out about the gym quest of a region and goes to compete in the league
  • Rising Action - Ash begins catching Pokemon, training them, forming rivalries, doing the gyms etc.
  • Climax - The last battle of the league
  • Falling Action - The dust settles, Ash loses, and accepts his loss
  • Resolution - Ash goes off to another region, still chasing a dream he has failed to let die of Shudo’s notes are anything to think about.

You do not simply “become filler” because that implies a moment can be rendered filler retroactively without making it non-canon. Filler simply is. It's either not necessary to the structured plot from the beginning or is rendered non-canon.
"Filler" may not be the right word to describe it, but "pointless" is. The goal is to become a master with winning a regional tournament apparently being part of said goal. If this part of the goal is never met, the rest can never be achieved and thus each region could be considered pointless. The same can be said for the other characters with competitive goals.

I don't get the constant cries of "Ash should be replaced!" tbh. It's almost always coming from older fans who aren't even in any position to demand appeasement since they're not part of the show's key demographic in the first place. Like, I loathe how Ash has been handled for the past half-dozen or so years, but even I can't imagine the anime without him. He's just too integral.

To be frank as much as I weigh in on the topic of the show's longevity, I've pretty much accepted it long ago. While I don't watch daily like I use to I still like to marathon new seasons through On-Demand and later Netflix.

And no, they're never replacing Ash for the reasons stated by TPC themselves over a decade ago:

kI6Zsfj.png

TPC themselves have likened Ash to Mickey Mouse, calling him an ageless icon and legend

To be fair though, different styles of storytelling result in different expectations. I don't think anyone say in the 40s or 50s ever expected Mickey Mouse to go through many life changing stories or to be replaced with a new Mouse with a pet dog.

To be frank as much as I weigh in on the topic of the show's longevity, I've pretty much accepted it long ago. While I don't watch daily like I use to I still like to marathon new seasons through On-Demand and later Netflix.

To be fair though, different styles of storytelling result in different expectations. I don't think anyone say in the 40s or 50s ever expected Mickey Mouse to go through many life changing stories or to be replaced with a new Mouse with a pet dog.
Disney also didn't give Mickey an ultimate goal for which to achieve, so that works out enough for him.

@_Dog,

I'm honestly interested in seeing your responses, especially since the anime (seemingly, I haven't watched SM in a while) has changed a lot since 2017.

On a separate note, would you be addressing the current arc of Pokemon? Because as far as I know it's the most mixed out of all the arcs, with some praising it for it's surprisingly good story and, as mentioned previously, a formula change-up, while others seeing the comedy and overall style to be detrimental to the show's development

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, this thread exists.

It's been a year since I last responded and I still think the threadstarter's criteria for filler are highly flawed at best.

Now things get interesting since Satoshi has finally won a League Conference. Regardless of how well you think it’s constructed, it happened, so what kind of impact might that have now?
We'll see what happens if the league does anything for Ash. So far it isn't very promising. It's a pity they haven't removed him.

I don't get the constant cries of "Ash should be replaced!" tbh. It's almost always coming from older fans who aren't even in any position to demand appeasement since they're not part of the show's key demographic in the first place. Like, I loathe how Ash has been handled for the past half-dozen or so years, but even I can't imagine the anime without him. He's just too integral.
The anime without Ash would actually be something worth watching once. It would actually be different for one thing. Don't defend Ash as a character. You admitted you don't like how he's handled as a character, so why keep it that way? Believe me, I'd wager my whole fortune that the Pokémon franchise as a whole would thrive perfectly fine without Ash. People heavily overestimate his value in Pokémon.

And people need to stop bringing out the "It's for kids!" argument, that's not an excuse for a subpar product, and never will. The kids wouldn't notice that a character got replaced either, so no, he's not integral.
Yeah, this thread exists.

It's been a year since I last responded and I still think the threadstarter's criteria for filler are highly flawed at best.
Would you like me to start now?

I don't need to refute anything because that's not how "filler" works.
Next time come up with an argument.

Now what was the other condition? I will confess it: It was to see Ash and Serena together in a romantic relationship. I am a so-called Amourshipper; however I concede that thanks to Serena getting axed out of the anime, where it continues Ash's adventure with Sun and Moon, Amourshipping is dead. You win, critics. But know that it came at a heavy, heavy cost.

However, allow me to close my post with this dialogue between Ash and Serena from the 40th episode of Pokémon XY. Regardless of what you may think of Serena and Amourshipping, please put your love or hatred for them aside and read the passage below:

Ash: I hope the PokéVision turns out good.
Serena: Yeah.
Ash: You see, I have a feeling that what I do at this camp might help me in my battles.
Serena: Yesterday's fishing tournament and today's PokéVision, too?
Ash: Of course! I don't think anything is pointless. Everything on our journey will lead up to victory at the Kalos League. That's why I need to work a lot harder.
Serena: You're already working hard, Satoshi. You do plenty enough.
Ash: Nah. I still have a long way to go. My dream won't come true like this.
Serena: Your dream is...
Ash: ...to become a Pokémon Master.
Serena: I see. You really are amazing, Satoshi.

I admit it, I thought all this really meant something when it was first aired. I really did. I sure was deceived.
I respect every bit of your writing and loved it as well. But after all that, after those perfectly versed words, you really expect the Japanese writers to make a romantic relation??? This is the only place I beg to differ, as I believe the anime should be, if it continues, at all costs strictly platonic. Take Ash and Dawn for example, disregarding the time with Iris. You get the rest I believe, comrade.

And to people talking about the Status Quo being dead, the anime has taken a turn for the worst by having him forcefully pushed to travel with a smug little guy, aspiring to become the owner of Mew in that fashion of his, named after a micro transaction app who would constantly scream out his name for no reason whatsoever. You people like Region jumping nowdays? What about Ash's Incineraoad, Lycanroc, Naganadel, Goodra, Greninja, Heracross, Pignite, Infernape and so on??

The status quo has persisted, Ash has left everything behind, he was made left all of them behind. TCPI pursues to flash miniature middle fingers at us and more often than not, showing some big ones. Sed.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom