• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

My blog

I'm still alive lol
  • Procrastination
    Guys I swear I didn't spend 2 weeks procrastinating on writing this! I just had mid sems on lmao.

You know if studying was a video game, your grades (or passing) would be your objective, stress would be your motivator whilst procrastination would be your main obstacle. Everyone has experienced it to some degree. I'm sure you've even heard of those articles that will 'cure' procrastination or at least give you tips on how to deal with it. Now what I wanna do today is really look at what procrastination is, why we experience it, how it's driven and finally, how to actually beat it. There's actually more to procrastination than you might think and digging deeper into it can tell us a lot about human nature and how to optimise our performance.

Procrastination is basically postponing something for 'later'. There's several reasons why we could do this. From my experience, here's when I'm likely to procrastinate:
    - Task is too difficult
    - Task is too complex
    - Task is too boring/easy
    - Poor time management/planning
    - Distractions

Making 'better' tasks
    Before studying for anything, you should always have a goal. After all, if you don't know what you're doing, how are you supposed to do it? I'd highly recommend making a to-do list (in advance). Anyways,

If a task appears too difficult, complex or even boring we're not inclined to do it. After all, our brain wants to avoid unpleasant sensations hence if studying is associated with it, you'll feel a natural tendency to avoid it. However, what our brain doesn't understand is that our perceptions and reality can be warped. Just from a subconscious level, we can inflate tasks to be more cumbersome than they really are to the point where even thinking about it becomes gives us a headache. Hence we resort to procrastination. To clear the fog you gotta grab the bull by its horns and once you sink your teeth into it. Once you do, all that mental resistance (ie stress/anxiety towards that task) you've built up fades away (in other words, you're in the flow state). Therefore, the likely problems here are that you've made the task more unpleasant than it really is (difficulty), you don't know where to start (complexity) or you're not engaged enough (boring/easy).

Managing these is the same. Get a task and break it down to simple, specific, and actionable steps. For example, instead of 'study X subject' split it up into its components 'reviewing notes/doing practice questions/flashcards/etc'. This doesn't have to take long! Just add these 'sub-categories' underneath your main tasks. What's even better is that now you have a sense of progression, as you can cross off tasks once you complete them. This is important for keeping you engaged in the overall process and pushing you to complete the next one. Not only that, but having a plan provides you a sense of reassurance and confidence towards your studies (which is pretty important for your long term motivation, more on this later).

*Bonus tip: As a rule of thumb, focus on tasks, not time. Rather than aiming to study for X hours a day, be oriented towards results (ie your to-do list) and your time will be secondary to how much work you get done. This is important as you can free valuable time for other activities.*

What about motivation? Don't worry about it for now. Most times you'll find that it comes after you start working. Now if you're actually struggling with burnout in general, that's a topic for another day.

Time management
    Consider the following statement:
    'Work expands to fill the time allotted for it'

This right here is Parkinson's Law and helps you prevent setting unreasonable deadlines. Deadlines are pretty important. I'm sure you've noticed how your productivity spikes up during those last few hours before an assignment's due. Basically, if you give yourself a whole day to complete a task, chances are it'll take you all day to do it. My god, was this an eye-opener for me, because this was exactly what I was struggling with recently.

But how come? Surely it takes you a set amount of time to complete a task right? Even if you gave yourself too much time, shouldn't that just be spare time you'll have after completing your task early? And isn't giving yourself more time better for quality?

Not necessarily.

Like I said, we're pretty good at inflating tasks to be more complicated than they are. We can spend a lot of time overthinking certain aspects of them. Or our perfectionism could kick in and make us fuss over the most trivial things. Deadlines are also important for motivating us to actually do it and the closer it is, the more likely we'll get started on it. Therefore, giving ourselves too much time can make us just stretch out something and spend unnecessary time on it. Also, the time it takes for us to complete a task isn't directly proportional to us actually working on it. The anxiety/stress of doing the task is always on the back of our mind and can mentally exhaust us over the day. There's always a reminder that we need to do it and it can still eat away at our subconscious when we're supposed to be relaxing or something. In the end, you're just wasting time that you could be spending doing something else.

This is what I went through. On the weekends I was usually free, so I'd give myself all day to study. But what would happen is I'd procrastinate without knowing it, assuming I'd get it done later. But because I was 'busy' studying today, I wasn't actually doing anything fun. Yet I'd end up rushing my work by the end. So basically, I was in this awkward middle ground where I didn't get a lot of work done, but wasn't doing recreational activities either. So don't fall into this trap, because it is brutal.

Truth is, we're not machines who can do work all day. We have a limit and certain time periods when we're most productive. We can only do a set amount of 'high-intensity' work per day, around 2-3 iirc. Remember, high intensity work is stuff that actually requires your full concentration/effort; active tasks, not something passive (like watching lectures/reading notes, because you can do that all day lol). The idea is that there's a certain threshold where putting more time into doesn't result in better outcomes. So by then it's best to move on. You want to schedule tasks within your productive hours and get them done and dusted there. This allows you to have free time do to other things and actually enjoy life. So even if it's a small thing (since covid has made this wayy harder), have something planned in your day besides studying! This could be anything like gaming, watching tv shows, talking to friends, etc.

Because you'll find when you have something else to look forward to, not only is there a closer deadline that'll make you procrastinate less, but now you also have a reward after completing the task (and an incentive for doing it).

Distractions
    Alright, I'm guessing this is the hardest part for everyone. Regardless of how good our approach is, you won't get anywhere if you're not even focused on the right thing. Whether it's social media, a new episode for a TV series (FATISW anyone?), video games, movies, other people, etc. I'm sure there's something out there that consistently sucks your attention away from what you're supposed to be doing. For me, youtube was a big killer in the past, though nowadays social media in general like facebook/insta/snapchat/tiktok and ironically these forums+discord have been my Achilles heel. I'll mainly be tackling social media here, since its so potent.

Now if you've also been hooked onto it, don't feel bad. There's more to this than simple self control. Truth is, these apps are incredibly clever. They're meticulously designed to be as addictive as possible, as your attention is extremely valuable to these companies. Because they're free (thus you can't just profit from buying the app), most profits are made by targeted advertisements that these guys have been working behind the scenes from. Without getting too much into it, social media is pretty good at exploiting our biology (by providing us with instant gratification) to keep us as hooked as possible. There's a lot of factors that it takes advantage of to allow this (see below).

Funnily enough, I've never procrastinating by playing video games. I have a PS4 right next to me in my living room but it's never tempted me. But my phone always has. Why is this? Well, when you think about it, there's actually a lot of differences:
    - Starting: To play PS4, I have to turn on the TV, log in, select the game, wait for it to load, select my file, more loading and then I'm finally in the game (and can get some gratification). Meanwhile, all I have to do is unlock my phone, make 1 swipe and two clicks then I'm already in. It's so much easier to just start browsing social media, hence less time for you to stop yourself from doing it.
    - Vigilance: When I sit down to game, I know I'll be doing it for a while. After all, it's not feasible to play something for 10-20 minutes right (especially given how long it takes to start)? However, when was the last time you intended to spend only 5 minutes on facebook? You don't expect to. However it sucks you in without you even knowing it, throwing off you and your schedule.
    - Frequency: I don't game often (especially nowadays) but I'm always checking my phone throughout the day. I have subconsciously built a habit of doing it, so I'm more inclined to do so.
    - Satisfaction/progression: Gaming is a more 'high-intensity' activity than browsing social media. You're more engaged in it and there's more distinct checkpoints (like playing one level/game, do this one objective, etc). But there's no end point to social media. You don't feel fulfilled/satisfied after doing it and you actually keep scrolling through in anticipation of it.

Hopefully by examining the above, you understand what factors fuel procrastination. Bottom line is, you want to make it easier to do the right thing and harder to do the wrong thing. So keep your phone away, use a website/app blocker (like selfcontrol on mac) and limit how much you check it. For recreational activities, replace social media with something more fulfilling/fun.

*Bonus tip 2: Don't rely on pure willpower to simply resist temptations. It's actually a finite resource and depletes throughout the day. Furthermore, if you spend all your energy trying to avoid more trivial things like this, you won't have enough for the more important stuff. The best way to deal with distractions is by minimising how much you'll encounter them in the first place.*

Defeating procrastination
    It's actually pretty simple and I think I've alluded to it a few times. Have a schedule of how your day should play out. You can't delay something for later, if you know you can't do it later. Schedules aren't actually as restrictive as you might think. In fact, they allow more freedom since you can manage your time and make the most of it. This doesn't have to be difficult!

Think of it like an extended to-do list and you can use something like google calendars. Basically:
    - Place all your commitments that are non-negotiable (ie classes, work, sleep, etc).
    - Make sure you factor in commuting times, so leave a good gap between tasks.
    - Strategically space out your chores/trivial stuff throughout the day to function as breaks from studying.
    - Now look at all your spare time. On weekdays you probably don't have much time to begin with due to your prior commitments. But on weekends you can slot some recreational activity in. Morning or night, it doesn't matter. Just have something you wanna do (something higher intensity remember).
    - The remaining spare time you have, that's your study time. Use your to-do list to place your tasks here.

Scheduling does take some time to get right. Don't fuss about the specific times you'll start/stop a task, just aim to have everything done by the end. It's something you'll need to adjust accordingly and there really isn't a 'one-size fits all' approach to it. You shouldn't expect yourself to stick to it 100% of the time! Remember that even if you only stick to it half the time, it's still better than 0% (and you'll get more work done than when you started!). So just aim for consistency and make sure it's repeatable for coming days. It shouldn't take that long (5-10 mins tbh), since you'll be copying+pasting a lot of the time anyway. You'll get a lot more work done if you actually have a plan, trust me.

WOW that was a mouthful. Hope you found something useful for this. Guess you've seen how passionate I'm about this lmao. I promise I'll post something more relevant in the future. Cya in the next one!

Wow 2 months
  • Pokemon rivals tier list
    Finally switching gears onto something that's pokemon related!

What makes a good rival in pokemon? A few metrics I use are:
    • Frequency: How often do they appear in the game? How much do you battle them?
    • Character: What is their backstory and motivation? Does this make sense? Could you actually relate to them? Are they even entertaining to watch and have interesting interactions with other characters, or do they lack memorable personality traits altogether?
    • Role: What do they actually do in the story? Do they have any meaningful contributions or development within it?
    • Difficulty: How good's their team? This relates to movesets, pokemon number, levels, etc. Because a good rival needs to actually challenge you in a fight.

So I'll be referring to these throughout to effectively grade each one.

Anyways here's the tier list below:
    my-image (2).png

All righty, the explanations for each tier are as follows:
    Hop
    • Massive presence throughout the game from beginning to end, battled the most times out of any rival
    • He's got a direct connection to the champion of the region (which is a brand new concept) since Leon's his older brother. Due to Galar's huge focus on the gym challenge and everyone looking up to Leon, Hop has a lot to live up to. He naturally wants to be strong and become champion as well because he feels like that's what's expected for him. In this regard he becomes cocky almost and thinks just because they're related it automatically means he'll succeed as well. He's got a genuine reason to be stronger and is almost pressured into doing it. We can even see how in his own house, Leon has way more recognition and trophies than him.
    • He struggles a lot throughout the game, losing to Bede, gym leaders and of course you. This seriously effects his confidence, especially when Bede made it personal by telling him he's almost disgracing his brother due to this lack of skills. Every time you beat him, the fire in his eyes goes out a little bit and he wonders if all that's true. If he is a failure for not being able to do what he's supposed to be able to. If his brother would be disappointed of him because of this. Unlike with most rivals, we can actually see how this affects him during battles; ditching his Wooloo (his partner) because he thinks it's not strong enough. But he's able to pick himslef back up and keep trying, eventually growing stronger but still coming short against you in the end. At the end of his journey, after being reaffirmed of his skills and clearing his doubts, he's able to finally pursue what really wants. This allows him to let go of all the pressures of being the champion's brother but he also gets closure with Leon himself. He's also incredibly invovled in the main plot and postgame, battling alongside eternatus with you and obtaining the opposite wolf.
    • Throughout the game his team isn't that impressive at first, however this drives his development. He becomes more challenging as he changes it around but even after he isn't awfully difficult. But when he obtains the other legendary, he becomes a serious threat. The rest of his team's solid too and have good movesets and are high levelled. Variety can be a bit lacking however.

I'm genuinely impressed with how well Hop was done in this game. He knocks it out of the park with all the criteria. What really cements him on top with the sheer amount of time we spent with him, we saw his full journey and development. We saw each of his struggles and how it affected him. But he gets an amazing and realistic character arc of stepping out his brother's shadow and going after your own dreams, which fits perfectly into SS's theme of aspiration. He's proof that friendly rivals can be incredible if they're well written and works because he's friendly. By the end we're rooting for him and actually want him to beat us, because he deserves it! And that's why he's the best rival in the series.

Silver
    • Battles you frequently and appears fairly consistently throughout Johto
    • Due to how malicious and hateful he can be, he sticks out and has interesting interactions with everyone around him. Being Giovanni's son is a great concept and we understand why he hates team rocket as a whole; as they disbanded and silver was abandoned due to this. His mother (Ariana) is also in team rocket which further adds salt to the wound. You can understand his pain even if you don't like his methods.
    • One of the best character arcs we've seen from a rival. Goes from hating you, stealing pokemon and blindly wanting to become stronger to respecting you, loving his pokemon (starter+crobat particularly) and becomes a better person after losing to Lance. He actually bonds with his pokemon (which we see) is even able to partially redeem his loss at the hands of Lance. It's really night and day by his last battle. He is also involved in battling team rocket sometimes but isn't that helpful or cooperative with you throughout.
    • Team isn't awfully difficult compared to other rivals, but it's got solid pokemon and movesets with them.

Somewhat similar to Hugh, but he's got a more concrete character arc and battles you more frequently throughout the game. He's more fleshed out than Gladion as well, due to appearing in both Johto and even Kanto more. I would've liked to see his connection to team rocket be explored more and potentially have closure with his parents, but he grows a lot regardless.

Gladion
    • Appears a good amount throughout the story, albeit doesn't really battle you much (only 4 times) before the league
    • Amazing character. He's edgy and distrustful of everyone because of his negative experiences at aether paradise. He wants to become stronger to help free type null and protect his little sister, which is why he joined team skull. He stole type null because he wanted to help it, since it was a botched experiment. He hates ultra beasts because of how they corrupted his mum. He can be a standoffish jerk but you understand why. Despite being a part of team skull, he doesn't have any respect from the grunts (which are buffoons themselves) and basically self-exiled himself from aether paradise. He's also got famous quotes (like 'get out' lmao). He's not a bad person, but just someone raised in troubling circumstances with nobody to turn to.
    • Since he's directly related to both evil teams and Lillie, he gets a lot of exposure. He's the MVP in infiltrating aether paradise and contributes to the development of Lillie and Hau. Outside of that he doesn't contribute too much however. He grows a lot as a person, lightening up and finally seeing you as an ally. We can also see similar development in his team, which is friendship based. He's finally able to take the lead at aether paradise and in USUM goes to kanto to become even stronger. The arc could've been fleshed out more, particularly around the end but what we've got is still pretty good.
    • Team isn't awfully difficult throughout, but in USUM especially his title defense team is solid. He's got good coverage on his pokemon and they're high levelled by this point.

Character wise, he's one of the best we've got. Everything about his character makes sense and he's got many layers to him. He could've been more present throughout the story and could've had that closing arc for himself though, such as when his type: null evolved and when he obtained his z-ring. Not everything needs to happen onscreen, but I think he falls a bit short in this department. With more time to himself and perhaps seeing his backstory play out, I reckon he could been ranked higher. Thankfully the anime improves him even more, but I'm keeping that separate here.

Hugh
    • Appears a lot and battles you mostly during early game and alongside you even more. But could've spaced out his battles better, as he gets 2 relatively similar postgame ones.
    • Touching backstory of a brother just trying to bring back a stolen pokemon from his little sister from team plasma, back then he couldn't do anything but now he's ready to take revenge. To you he simultaneously wants you to succeed but also be strong enough to help him take on team plasma. Entertaining with how he treats team plasma, literally assaulting them but you understand where he's coming from. A lot of his personality is tied to team plasma and is refreshing to see a rival actively want to bring down an evil team.
    • He's incredibly active when it comes to team plasma. Learns to forgive the old team plasma grunts and not villainze all of them and actually achieves retrieves Liepard back. By the end he's helping old team plasma reunite with their pokemon, a far cry on how he used to treat them. But outside of that, he isn't seen an awful lot and doesn't do much else.
    • Team is rather generic for most of the run, but postgame+challenge mode especially can make him pretty tough. Really good in terms of levels, movesets and pokemon variety by then.

Hugh is a perfect balance of a friendly and jerk rival. He encourages you to achieve your dreams but isn't a pushover himself. He passionately hates the evil team and we can empathise with him. Also has a kickass theme. I would've liked to battle him more throughout the mid game and improve his team by then (since he's only using 3 pokemon) but he's a pretty good rival overall.

Blue
    • Lots of battles with him, but doesn't show up much outside of them
    • Pretty standard, being Oak's grandson and wants to be the best trainer. You do learn later that perhaps he was jealous of you and wanted Oak's praise since he's basically a father figure to him. But this isn't explored too much. He constantly talks down on you which motivates you to push further and beat him to prove him wrong. Since he's always one step of you, you're always lagging behind. Also has some iconic quotes.
    • Because he becomes the champion, he's the final boss/climax of the game itself. It's all about settling your score and humbling him. In future games, we can see that this was successful and he's mellowed down. He finally respects Red and has an almost sibling-like relationship with him, a far cry as to how he originally treated him. He also mentors younger trainers (like you in LGPE) and whilst he retains a somewhat cocky attitude, it's toned down and he does have the skills to back it up.
    • Good team and movesets, especially as the games go on. He's a formidable foe by the end since he's the champion.

Blue was great for his time and reflects how simple gen 1 was. He had a clear purpose as a rival and served it pretty well. It's also good seeing him grow and progress in other games. But imo Blue lacks the same nuance that newer rivals have; why does he become such a jerk to you? He also could've been more involved with the story of gen 1, but that was also pretty simple. He makes a good template for the future and is an iconic character, but on his own he feels a bit lackluster.

Cheren/Bianca
    • Battled a lot and appear actively in the game often
    • Interesting characters, Cheren is knowledgable and wants to become stronger whilst Bianca isn't that confident in herself and has an overprotective father
    • Both are actually involved in fighting team plasma and unravelling the mystery of the legendary dragon; Cheren also learns from Alder that there's no point in mindlessly getting stronger whilst Bianca builds up her confidence and stand up to her father (thanks to Elesa's encouragement). We see the results in the sequels, with them pursuing unique roles (at the time) that best matches their personality and ambitions now.
    • Throughout the game they're not that strong, but postgame battles/teams are pretty good.

Pretty surprised with how good they ended up being when going through this. But they're pretty good characters with clear journeys that are also actively involved with the game's plot and themes. Also have a second game to show their progress and be developed further. Great stuff from gen V, though I think they don't quite leave the same mark as the ones above.

Bede
    • Battles you consistently early to mid game but disappears until the league
    • Pretty good backstory albeit a lot is implied, he lost his family but was sponsored by Rose and desparately wants to impress him by becoming champion; but this is one sided as Rose doesn't even remember him and is just using him to get wishing stars. Because he's an unapologetic jerk, he's entertaining to watch and you love to hate him. But despite how he presents himself as cool, collected, powerful and successful, if you dig deeper you can see truly how manic and broken he really is. He's too arrogant to admit it and psychic type suits him perfectly because of this.
    • Does actually become crushed after being disowned by Rose and lost on what to do. Thanks to Opal he's able to mellow out, have a genuinely good mentor, improve his battling skills and influence the people around him as gym leader. But he doesn't contribute to the actual story much as he disappears and reappears near the end.
    • Pretty easy all things considered due to his monotype team, only uses 5 pokemon by the end as well but have good movesets still

Overall he's one of my personal favourite characters as of late. Love his backstory and how his design, music and even type speciality reflects his personality. Unfortunately he's plucked out and resolved offscreen, but he has a clear journey and memorable personality. A great character, good rival but they should've done more with him in the story.

Hau
    • Battles you pretty often and appears a lot throughout the story (maybe a bit too much)
    • At first just seems painfully friendly, but you learn his connection to Hala and how he wants to step out of his shadow; also shows a more serious side to him throughout USUM in particular and later parts of the story. Meshes really well with Gladion in particular due to their opposite personalities.
    • Becomes more serious throughout the game as he's faced some bad losses, even parting ways with you for a bit; has to understand that not every battle is fun and games and is able to actually overcome Hala by the end; in USUM he even commands Tapu Koko and beats elite 4
    • Team is fairly standard but improves in USUM, still good though

Ok I've said before that he's underrated and he is. In Alola specifically a friendly character like him works perfectly and is able to lend to interesting interactions with Gladion and briefly Guzma later. He does actually toughen up and become genuinely impressive, but some of his growth happens offscreen (like beating Hala) which hinders him. There's more than what meets the eye for him, show him respect!

Barry
    • Good frequency with battles, spaced out well before and after league
    • Actually has a personality and can be entertaining, also has a reason for wanting to be stronger; to match his dad who's a tower tycoon
    • Does learn to mellow out over the story due to his loss against Jupiter and has his redemption, but pretty standard besides that
    • Team is fairly good, especially as you get to those postgame matches where they keep stacking (but those are really tedious to unlock)

He's a solid character. They could've explored his connection to his dad earlier and built up his story better though. He's actually got something more to offer than being a friendly rival and is hyperactive personality was fun to watch. But doesn't have the same emotional weight as other ones if you ask me.

Marnie
    • Not battled that much, only 3 times before the league
    • Good; she's trying to bring recognition to her forgotten home town by becoming the champion, even garnering her own fanbase throughout
    • Not much growth, she becomes the gym leader after her brother to represent spikemuth, but she doesn't actually do anything in the story
    • Not that hard, partly due to being monotype but also using 4-5 pokemon max when you've got a full team by then

A good character in of itself, but she doesn't do anything. Could've been a lot more interesting if they planned out her journey or given her a proper character arc.

Wally
    • Battle him like twice before pokemon league and postgame battles are pretty hard to unlock
    • Actually interesting, being a sickly boy who is inspired by you and is determined to grow stronger; which he eventually does to match your level
    • Barely does anything for most the game and only shows up around the end
    • Fairly easy before league, but that last postgame battle is crazy; his team is stacked, but by then you're also pretty strong yourself

A solid character but he doesn't get to do much. He actually has a character arc but we barely see the journey, instead just the result. Screentime is what he's missing tbh.

Calem/Serena
    • Battle them a good amount of times
    • Not that interesting, just your neighbours who you compete with occasionally
    • Do help with stopping team flare, at least have a more prominent role than the others
    • Relatively speaking their team is good by the end, but XY are so easy altogether that they're not that hard

Once again the friendly rivals, albeit they do actually battle you a good amount. But they're so bland and uninteresting by this point especially and lack uniqueness.

Brendan/May
    • Don't battle them much, especially around the later game
    • Pretty standard, just your neighbour and the professors kid
    • Not much involvement in the story or any growth
    • Pretty easy for the most part (except for that one time in route 119 in emerald lol) and their team isn't too impressive by the end anyways

More like friends than actual rivals, tbf they're not really the main one anyway. They don't really stand out on their own.

Trace
    • Battle him a lot actually, appears maybe a bit too much for tutorials and all
    • Incredibly bland and uninteresting, with almost no notable traits of his own
    • Basically the same role as Blue
    • Team becomes decently difficult around the end (like rematches) but nothing too spectacular

He's basically Blue but without as much personality, growth or battle prowess even. A lot of what he does well is just already been done and it's because of what the original character did anyway. He's fine for the role of the game and I like him adopting the cubone, but that's about it.

XY Rivals, grouping them together because they're not good enough to be their own anyway lol
    • Barely show up, you only battle them 2-3 times iirc
    • They have clear goals but are pretty generic
    • Do almost nothing
    • Ridiculously easy, only use 3 pokemon max when you've got your whole team

Overall, might as well have been friends over rivals or just supporting characters altogether. Just trash rivals, better in the anime but the bar was so low to begin with.

Have a good one aye. See you in the next one, whenever that is.

Attachments

• my-image (1).png
      my-image (1).png
      301.2 KB · Views: 57
    Back
    Top Bottom