• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

My fakemon batch :)

stunning_cyan

A relic of the glorious age
Reaction score
I am usually an artist nicknamed stunning_cyan but I never made my own fakemon before. So I decided to give it a go and loved it. Creating a monster anatomy really tests your nerves and patience but it makes you think more than usual character design does. So, here's what I created+the description of inspirations I had. Some of these were on my mind for a while (like Flambelle) and others were a sudden spark of inspiration (like Toxitroop).
houndoom.png

This is a white hound pokemon (technically a dalmatian though) based on the idea of a 'noble dog' who is bred to be very intelligent and loyal to their aristocratic master even after their death. The chess pattern implies that the hound pokemon is smart enough to understand their master's strategy. Inspiration: crest animals, chess, noble hounds, smart hunter dogs, aristocratic dogs.

gothitelle.png

This is by far the most fun design I created. I never particularly liked vanilla Gothitelle so I wanted to make her less plain. This one has many inspirations: japanese caterpillar woman yokai, female harlequins, witches from fairyrales who operate via poison, indian nagas and even the Caterpillar from Alice in Wonderland. This pokemon is meant to be possessive, envious and a bit sassy, shedding poisonous tears at the sight of something they want to have but can't have (like a trinket).
toxitroop.png

Gas mask design is already fun to incorporate into a design but it's actually based on a real life animal called a water bear - the only (microscopic) organism who can survive space and whose snout is the only thing in the animal world which resembles a gas mask. This pokemon is meant to be a master of survival in harsh environments so here's astronaut inspiration, paratrooper inspiration and deep diving gear inspiration. Plus the hood is a bit like a japanese ninja monk (they were also famous for their strength and survival skills).

flambelle.png

Well, I have always thought that flamingo is a too gorgeous of an animal not to be a fire-fairy pokemon. :) Its design is based on carnival dancers and dancing/gymnastics/figure skating competitions (its feathers pattern resembles typical dress of figure skaters and so on) and is meant to be hypnotic for people who stare at it. The pun in the name includes words flame, belle, flamboyant and even flambe. :)

rattom.png

My take on the idea of a sneaky rodent who goes from a helpless fellow who likes to play dead to a bit of a gloomy prankster (or maybe even a creep because the 'tom' part may be 'phantom' and may be 'peeping tom', haha). It is meant to be based on spies, thieves and treasure seekers.

Attachments

• houndoom.png
    houndoom.png
    645.9 KB · Views: 3,159
  • gothitelle.png
    gothitelle.png
    478.8 KB · Views: 41
  • toxitroop.png
    toxitroop.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 52
  • flambelle.png
    flambelle.png
    428.2 KB · Views: 47
  • rattom.png
    rattom.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,012
I’m in love with the regional Houndoom and Rattom, your sense of design is really astounding. I also like how you used the chess pattern to express the Houndoom’s wit! Are these fakemon for the game you mentioned in your other thread you’re making or are these just for fun? Either way these designs are poppin’ and thank you for explaining what inspired each, makes them even cooler to appreciate!

I’m in love with the regional Houndoom and Rattom, your sense of design is really astounding. I also like how you used the chess pattern to express the Houndoom’s wit! Are these fakemon for the game you mentioned in your other thread you’re making or are these just for fun? Either way these designs are poppin’ and thank you for explaining what inspired each, makes them even cooler to appreciate!
Thank you so much! No, these are just for fun! My own game is not fakemon based but all original. :) It is steampunk! Think you would appreciate a more steampunk setting about science? However, if someone is making a romhack with these fakemon designs, I'd be more than happy to provide them, with credit, of course!

Back
Top Bottom