• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

My first competitive team!

Supreme Leader Palpitoad

The Toad of Honor
Reaction score
Here we go:

Gogoat @Leftovers/Big Root
EVs: 252 Def, 252 HP, 4 Atk
Ability: Sap Sipper
Moves:
Horn Leech
Rock Slide
Aerial Ace
Bulk Up

This is my main physical wall. I got advice before to use Lefties on Gogoat instead of Big Root so Leftovers will be his main item, if I get a good item advice for Arcanine(next pokemon in this text)since I do not know what other item to give an Arcanine. Anyways, Gogoat has the bulk to take a couple of hits while using Bulk Up and then hit back with Horn Leech and recover health and kill my opponent fast. Then I have Rock Slide as it covers all weaknesses Gogoat has except Poison. Aerial Ace is there since Gogoat can be easily walled by other Grasses otherwise. Sadly my Gogoat has a nature that gives it -Speed, but it has not been to much of a drawback for me honestly.

Arcanine @Leftovers
EVs: 252 Def, 252 HP, 4 Atk
Ability: Intimidate
Moves:
Roar¨
Will-O-Wisp
Flamethrower/Fire Fang
ExtremeSpeed

I got the idea to use Arcanine as a wall/tank from the youtuber ShadyPenguinn(is it allowed to use others ideas like that?). This Arcanine will Burn threats as well as Roar out things that tries to set up. ExtremeSpeed is for priority, which is always good and I need Flamethrower or Fire Fang since two team members are weak to Ice so I need a counter. I got the choice of ability from Shady too(as well as ExtremeSpeed). Initimidate can really be useful against physical attackers like Aegislash, Garchomp and such. At last I want to use Lefties on this(again from Shady)but Gogoat needed that one too. So who should I use them on?

Goodra @Assault Vest
EVs: 252 Sp Def, 252 HP, 4 Sp Atk
Ability: Gooey
Moves:
Fire Blast
Thunderbolt
Sludge Bomb
Dragon Pulse

My Goodra is a Special wall and it has 4 attacking moves which gives it great coverage. This makes it a great candidate for an Assault Vest so I plan to give one to Goodra. It covers all its weaknesses quite nicely and as I have seen the endurance it has now when it carries Leftovers(I do not have the Vest yet)I am pretty sure taht it will be a fantastic Special wall when it has the Assault Vest. Not really much more to say here. It has a nice nickname though: Lord Goo.

Greninja @Life Orb
EVs: 252 Speed, 252 Sp Atk 4????(I forgot what it has 4 in. I do not have the 3DS on with me right now.)
Ability: Protean
Moves:
Ice Beam
Surf
Dark Pulse
Extrasensory/Grass Knot

This is a special sweeper. I use the Protean strategy everyone uses. My only problem here is that I do not know if I should let it carry Grass Knot or Extrasensory. Any advice?

Excadrill @Air Balloon
EVs: 252 Atk, 252 Speed, 4 HP
Ability: Mold Breaker
Moves:
Earthquake
Rock Slide
Swords Dance
Rapid Spin
This is some kind of physical sweeper. I will Swords Dance with it and use Rock Slide and Earthquake to kill other pokes. I need Rapid Spin too, to take away rocks and stuff that people might put up.

Alakazam @Alakzamite
EVs: 252 Sp Atk, 252 Speed, 4 Sp Def
Ability: Synchronize/Trace
Moves:
Focus Blast
Psychic
Shadow Ball
Dazzling Gleam

My Mega and another Special Sweeper. I know that I may need another Physical but my physical Mega contender is Mega Pinsir and it is weak to Ice just as Goodra and Gogoat so I do not want to use it. Instead I will try to use Alakazam as Mega and use Special moves. I think that I get pretty good coverage with these moves so I will go with them.

Now I need advice. Is this a good team? Should I replace one of the memebers? Change a moveset? And please give me advice about the Item sistuation with Gogoat and Arcanine.

Thanks for reading!

Shady actually uses Rocky Helmet on his Arcanine and relies on Morning Sun for recovery. You could try that.

Anyways, your team is major weak to strong Knock Off users. A Crawdaunt or Bisharp could blow through most of your team. Try sticking a Chesnaught or MGyarados on there somewhere.

@-Glory Blaze-; Thanks! I seem to recall his Arcanine healing with Lefties but then I am probably reminding wrong.

I could sap Gogoat for Chenaught or Alakazam for M-Gyarados. Which would be best?

I'd actually recommend swapping Goodra for MGyarados and MAlakazam for Focus Sash Alakazam.

Honestly if you go for a grass type use Venusaur.

Venusaur doesn't really add anything to this team though, especially if he's already using MGyarados and this will be forced to use Venusaur-N instead of MVenusaur.

*3 days have passed. Palpitoad is by now recommended to use 6 completely different Pokemon because suggested options to improve the original team require support from different Pokemon, one after another*

Instead of saying "replace this with this", I ask whether you have tried testing it out on Showdown?

*3 days have passed. Palpitoad is by now recommended to use 6 completely different Pokemon because suggested options to improve the original team require support from different Pokemon, one after another*

Instead of saying "replace this with this", I ask whether you have tried testing it out on Showdown?

No. I have not tried the team yet and I don not have Showdown. I have used the Greninja, Gogoat and Goodra before though and everyone, speciallyGogoat preformed well.

In that case I'd recommend you to do exactly that. :) Theory's all nice and dandy, but in reality the team might fare a lot better than expected or fail the testing completely, both are a possibility.
And as long as you have access to the Internet, you also have Showdown. :D

You can replace Gogoat and Arcanine for Heatran. You shouldn't really be having a Grass Type for a Tank. Grass types just have too many weakness'.
As for Arcanine, its pretty situational. Intimidate + W-o-W is pretty favorable combo but the Fire Type draws it back. Any water type just wrecks Arcanine.
And rite off the Bat, your team gets wrecked by Talonflame...
Also try getting more sweepers; you have no pKmN w/ priority moves or speed boosting moves.

You can replace Gogoat and Arcanine for Heatran. You shouldn't really be having a Grass Type for a Tank. Grass types just have too many weakness'.
As for Arcanine, its pretty situational. Intimidate + W-o-W is pretty favorable combo but the Fire Type draws it back. Any water type just wrecks Arcanine.
And rite off the Bat, your team gets wrecked by Talonflame...
Also try getting more sweepers; you have no pKmN w/ priority moves or speed boosting moves.

Gogoat actually does well as a tank. Mine tanked a Flare Blitz and Rock Slide gives it great coverage.
As for priority, Arcanine will have ExtremeSpeed.
Thanks for yor advice! I will watch out for Talonflame. @Alexey; I tried one Showdown battle with this team. I lost 2-0 since I did not count with the opposing Excadrill using Poison Jab with ended up killing my Gogoat. I may have lost anyways but that was a game-changer.

Last edited:
Unexpected sets always screw everything up, but they're unexpected due to often being sutiational (and I love using unexpected sets). You might want to have 15 or 20 more battles with the team and see how well it fares.
Heck, some people test teams out for days or even weeks.

Unexpected sets always screw everything up, but they're unexpected due to often being sutiational (and I love using unexpected sets). You might want to have 15 or 20 more battles with the team and see how well it fares.

Well my own Gogoat uses Aerial Ace which is not very expected. Thanks for your advice! :)

Well my own Gogoat uses Aerial Ace which is not very expected. Thanks for your advice! :)

Always test teams. The RMT that I posted about a month ago I used in like 20 battles. Its always good to test before moving to your game cart as training 6 useless Pokemon is annoying and pointless.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom