• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

My First Gen V Competitive Team

GSP

No sh*t Sherlock
Reaction score
I'm just gonna cut to the chase here.

Lead- Zoroark
Nature: Timid (+Spe, -Atk)
Ability: Illusion (Comes in disguised as the last Pokemon in your party)
Item: Focus Sash
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 Sp. Atk / 252 Spe
~Taunt
~Dark Pulse
~Flamethrower
~Extrasensory

I love this Pokemon. It comes in disguised as another Pokemon, so it has that element of surprise. Taunt makes sure no one can put in entry hazards (Stealth Rock, Spikes, etc.). Dark Pulse for STAB, Flamethrower for coverage (especially against Ferrothorn) and Extrasensory against Fighting-types if Zoroark is ever revealed.

Baton Passer- Gorebyss
Nature: Calm (+Sp. Def, -Atk)
Ability: Swift Swim (Speed increases if it's raining)
Item: White Herb (Returns any reduced stat back to normal once)
EVs: 252 HP / 24 Sp. Def / 232 Spe
~Iron Defense
~Shell Smash
~Surf
~Baton Pass

Shell Smash is awesome. Sharply raises Atk, Sp. Atk and Spe. Unfortunately, it lowers both defenses. That's what the White Herb's for. Iron Defense raises Defense and Surf for STAB and so Gorebyss isn't Taunt bait. Baton Pass is to pass on the changes to a sweeper.

Revenge Killer/Scout- Scizor
Nature: Adamant (+Atk, -Sp. Atk)
Ability: Technician (Moves with 50 or less base power get a 50% boost)
Item: Occa Berry (Weakens any Fire-type attack once)
EVs: 8 HP / 252 Atk / 248 Spe
~Bullet Punch
~Pursuit
~Superpower
~U-Turn

Bullet Punch and Pursuit get a boost from Technician and the former is a STAB priority move. The latter's power is doubled when a Pokemon switches out, making no one switches out with impunity. Superpower is for Steel-types, especially Heatran, Magnezones with HP Fire and Ferrothorn. U-Turn is for quick getaways.

Annoyer- Sableye
Nature: Careful (+Sp. Def, -Sp. Atk)
Ability: Prankster (Gives +1 priority to all non-damaging moves)
Item: Leftovers (Restores some HP every turn)
EVs: 252 HP / 120 Def / 136 Sp. Def
~Recover
~Will-O-Wisp
~Taunt
~Night Shade

Will-O-Wisp is to cause damage against anything that's not a Fire-type or has Guts. Taunt is to stop people from setting up anything against it. Recover keeps it alive, and Night Shade will always deal 100 damage, taking out most Pokemon in a few hits.

Physical Sweeper- Salamence
Nature: Naive (+Spe, -Sp. Def)
Ability: Moxie (Raises Attack 1 stage after every KO)
Item: Life Orb (Take some HP in exchange for powering up attacks)
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Sp. Def / 252 Spe
~Dragon Dance
~Dragon Claw
~Earthquake
~Fire Blast

Dragon Dance to raise Attack and Speed, Dragon Claw for a powerful STAB that doesn't confuse you (aka Outrage) and Earthquake and Fire Blast for coverage. Moxie raises Mence's Attack after every KO, making his attacks even stronger.

Special Sweeper- Gengar
Nature: Timid (+Spe, -Atk)
Ability: Levitate (Makes it immune to Ground-type attacks)
Item: Life Orb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Sp. Atk / 252 Spe
~Shadow Ball
~Giga Drain
~Focus Blast
~Hidden Power [Ice]

Shadow Ball for STAB and Giga Drain to take out Bulky Waters. Focus Blast for Ferrothorn and Dark-types and Wide Lens boost it's accuracy a bit. HP Ice gets rid of Flying- and Dragon-types.

So here you go. Make any adjustments you like. I'm trying to avoid using legendaries/Ubers, but if you want to add them in, go ahead. :)

Last edited:
You should use Huntail over Gorebyss, as Huntail is much cooler.....but....that's just me. xD

For Genger, I would replace Wide Lens. All it does is increase the Accuracy of Focus Blast to 77% (I'm pretty sure). And I would make it Timid so it can outspeed more.

Team looks quite solid as a whole. Just a few nitpicky stuff, but hopefully it helps.

Zoroark seems fine to me, as long as it works for you. I've seen Zoroark work amazingly and I've seen it bring about a team's demise. If you have the prediction and skill with it, by all means continue using it.

Gore is fine, but I recommend replacing Iron Defense with Ice Beam or another coverage move like HP Electric. This Pokemon can nearly pull off a sweep alone after a Shell Smash so why not take advantage of that. Iron Defense just isn't worth a move slot most of the time, imo. Don't be afraid to add more SpAtk EVs too.

That is one of my favourite Sableye sets, but I usually swap out about half the Defensive EVs into Special Defense. WoW hits more or less everything Sableye will be up against and with the additional Special Defense EVs it lasts much longer.

I recommend swapping out Zoom Lens as. Although the accuracy boost would be very helpful, 10% is pretty abysmal. Either go with Choice Scarf, Choice Specs or Life Orb and you should be fine. Timid nature is generally preferred if you aren't running a Scarf set.

One thing I do notice though is how your team consists of basically sweepers and is very hyperoffensive. You could definitely use at least one wall, but I'm not quite sure what now. Does Gorebyss usually get off a Shell Smash and Baton Pass into something safely? What Pokemon are proving problematic for you?

For a first team, it definitely seems pretty solid and has quite good synergy, so good job.

@GSP

Team looks quite solid as a whole. Just a few nitpicky stuff, but hopefully it helps.

Zoroark seems fine to me, as long as it works for you. I've seen Zoroark work amazingly and I've seen it bring about a team's demise. If you have the prediction and skill with it, by all means continue using it.

Gore is fine, but I recommend replacing Iron Defense with Ice Beam or another coverage move like HP Electric. This Pokemon can nearly pull off a sweep alone after a Shell Smash so why not take advantage of that. Iron Defense just isn't worth a move slot most of the time, imo. Don't be afraid to add more SpAtk EVs too.

That is one of my favourite Sableye sets, but I usually swap out about half the Defensive EVs into Special Defense. WoW hits more or less everything Sableye will be up against and with the additional Special Defense EVs it lasts much longer.

I recommend swapping out Zoom Lens as. Although the accuracy boost would be very helpful, 10% is pretty abysmal. Either go with Choice Scarf, Choice Specs or Life Orb and you should be fine. Timid nature is generally preferred if you aren't running a Scarf set.

One thing I do notice though is how your team consists of basically sweepers and is very hyperoffensive. You could definitely use at least one wall, but I'm not quite sure what now. Does Gorebyss usually get off a Shell Smash and Baton Pass into something safely? What Pokemon are proving problematic for you?

For a first team, it definitely seems pretty solid and has quite good synergy, so good job.

@GSP
Thanks for your reply. I know my team is hyperoffensive. I'm trying to look for a Pokemon that's not only a wall, but can get off some stat increases and Baton Pass it off safer than Gorebyss. Possibly switch Scizor's role to Baton Passer and get a good wall (physical as physical attackers are dominating the metagame right now) to replace Gorebyss. Any suggestions?

@GSP
Thanks for your reply. I know my team is hyperoffensive. I'm trying to look for a Pokemon that's not only a wall, but can get off some stat increases and Baton Pass it off safer than Gorebyss. Possibly switch Scizor's role to Baton Passer and get a good wall (physical as physical attackers are dominating the metagame right now) to replace Gorebyss. Any suggestions?

You could just go with the classics.

Skarmory (B/W) - Smogon University

If you use the first set, go with Stealth Rock over Spikes.

Edit: And I'm assuming the 4 Attack EVs on Zoroark is a typo. Those 4 can go into HP or Defense, whether they make much of a difference or not.

@GSP

You could just go with the classics.

Skarmory (B/W) - Smogon University

If you use the first set, go with Stealth Rock over Spikes.

Edit: And I'm assuming the 4 Attack EVs on Zoroark is a typo. Those 4 can go into HP or Defense, whether they make much of a difference or not.
Haha good ol' Skarmory. I sort of looked over it since it seemed sort of predictable. But whatevs :p
Lol yeah that was a typo. I put it into HP.

i thin this is what you wanted me to rate

i'd imagine gorebyss BPs to gengar. anything else doesn't really make sense, except maybe scizor. but you could give it a choice band for more power, choice scarf for more speed but same attack you currently have. band is used much more commonly then scarf, so scarf could pull a surprise kill. or you could use life orb.

also, who does zoroark copy?

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom