• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

My First Nuzlocke or How I lost my sanity

Nicolas721

Reaction score
Hi guys. I've wanted to do a Nuzlocke for a long time, and SWSH's ability to make multiple save files was an opportunity to do it. I chose the female trainer and named her Melody, as the Pokemon will have music-themed names. Let's start.
  • I chose Drum the Grookey, I crossed the first routes and the Hop battle without problems, and I catch Panpipe the Wooloo. However, shortly later I got distracted by a yellow-aura Skwovet, which tanks all of Drum's attacks and kills him. What a beginning. At least Panpipe had decent attack, and I catch Whistle the Rookidee and Flute the Magikarp (as my first encounter in the lake I was forced to use it, I was hoping for a Chewtle). Panpipe and Whistle hold their own during a few battles.
  • My initial idea was for this to be a Wonderlocke, so I was ready to trade Drum away, until I connected to the Internet and I found out my NSO suscription only worked for my main account. WHAT THE F***CK NINTENDO? Do you think I have money to spare on an extra suscription? I thought of using Pokemon Scam to do the trades there, but...meh, it's easier to just keep it as a Nuzlocke.
  • Anyway, that piece of news stressed me and the high level mons on the Wild Area didn't help, so I invented the "Wild Area Clause" which said that deaths didn't counted there. I caught two mons: Synthetizer the Metapod, which I thought was going to evolve early and give me needed coverage for various types (spoiler, it didn't) and Rattle the Togepi. Rattle was the strongest at level 15, but had very crappy moves. I finished the Wild Area running from everything and had a deserved rest and a look change in Motostoke. I caught Maraca the Chewtle finally completing the team.
  • I was still traumatized by the Wild Area, so I chose to go to the Isle of Armor to grind a little (I was surprised that Nintendo didn't take the DLC out of me though). I caught Hambone the Slowpoke in the event and put it the PC. I battled Avery and...it did not go well, everyone died, his Abra was just too fast and didn't even miss a single hit. Panpipe and Maraca where the only ones who did some damage. I rematched him right away so the old team could go out in a blaze of glory, and it went surprisingly well with only two deaths. I could have used the Wild Area Clause to keep using them, but something inside me said that it was time to make a new team from scratch using Isle of Armor mons. Hambone and I went into the wilderness not knowing what to expect...TO BE CONTINUED...
Gym Badges: 0
Deaths: 7

Last edited:
This looks like it's going to be frustrating, but what Nuzlocke isn't at points?
Might I inquire if you were inspired by my runs to do this one.
Good luck, and complete support.:)

@Unovia Thanks! Maybe I exaggerated with the title, but it sounded attractive so I left it in. I've wanted to do a run like this for a long time, but you and the other bloggers inspired me to write about it :D

• Hambone and I went into the Isle of Amor to get one new Pokemon in every zone, and training until Lv 15. The new members ended up being Banjo the Buneary, Accordion the Skorupi, Bell the Chansey, Shamisen the Mienfoo and Orchestra the Exeggcute. Shamisen and Orchestra came from raids so they were a bit overleveled, but I didn't want to take any risks again.
  • I chose to battle Mustard to check everyone's strength, and his U-turn threw me for a loop. Shamisen was the star, and when Mustard's Mienfoo was at low health I choose Banjo for killing him with his high speed...but he died. I tried to do the same with Bell, but she died too. RIP to both, but at least I beat Mustard.
  • I caught two replacements for the fallen, Cymbal the Pawniard and DJ the Magnemite. I tried to do the Slowpoke mission, but the lack of a bike as well as their level 17 convinced me to do it later. I went back to Motostoke and swept the floor with Hop, realizing that I was a bit overleveled.
  • As Shamisen had the highest level, I chose to box him for a while and train a new member, Guitar the Growlithe on Route 3. She's useful against all the Grass-types from the route, so I think we're ready for the challenges that await...
Gym Badges: 0
Deaths: 9

Last edited:
  • The Galar Mine and Route 4 weren't really noteworthy save for a few things. I caught Earphone the Roggenrola and Wave the Electrike and boxed them. Bede wasn't easy but wasn't hard either, he had a few dangerous move but thanks to a few lucky shots I beat him.
  • Milo and his trainers were a walk in the park. On the trainers I used both Accordion and Guitar, and against Milo I only needed Accordion who only lost like 40% of health after battling both Gossifleur and Eldegoss in like 5 turns. He's a good boy.
  • Route 5 was...problematic. I looked at the Pokemon available to catch and Stufful seemed like the most attractive option. I went in and its attack was a bit high, so I ran away. A few minutes later I found another one with lower attack, so I send Orchestra (the Exeggcute, Grass/Psychic type) to weaken it. Well, turns out this Stufful had TWO Dark-type moves, and not weak ones: Vendetta and Brutal Swing, so Orchestra died quickly. I caught her and named her Cornet the Stufful and boxed her. I replaced Orchestra with Shamisen, which didn't need more training.
  • Then came another battle with Hop, who seemed more determined than last time. Shamisen gets rid of Wooloo, and DJ gets rid of Corvisquire. DJ is the most logical option to beat Drizzile, but then...Drizzile makes a critical hit. RIP DJ. Hambone finishes the work quickly and we move on. That ruins my plans for the upcoming gym battle, so I replace DJ with Wave in hopes she'll catch up quickly, and what's better than returning to the Isle of Armor for that...
Gym Badges: 1
Deaths: 11

• I went back to the Isle of Armor to train a little and complete the Slowpoke mission. On the road I caught Voice the Zorua, Ukelele the Dedenne and Xylophone the Sandshrew. Since the Water gym was ahead I choose to have a rotating team, adding Ukelele to the rotation. I completed the mission, and it was time to battle Avery again. His first 2 Pokemon died quickly, but...that f*cking Kadabra killed Accordion, MY Accordion. The rest of the team took revenge accordingly.
  • I went back to the Wild Area to train some more, and I caught Tambora the Timburr and Castanets the Krabby. Shortly after, the first evolution of the run happened, and it was none other than Xylophone! It was a good omen to return to the gym.
  • The trainers of the gym were easy, Wave took care of them. Nessa was easy too, it was beaten as an effort of both Wave and Ukelele. After the gym battle, Wave evolved into a nice Manectric.
  • It was time to prepare myself for the Fire gym, so I choose to train Castanets, Xylophone, Guitar and the new member Disc the Wimpod. However, I gave up on disc shortly after because he didn't learnt any Water moves. It was time to battle Bede, and Cymbal did a fantastic job with her new Dark-type moves.
  • In Motostoke it was time to have a battle with Marnie, and she actually put up a fight. Specially with Scraggy, which killed Guitar. One of my weapons for the gym was gone, but I was determined to go ahead. Castanets evolved into Kingler, which was fantastic news for the gym.
  • The gym mission was difficult, but Ukelele's Nuzzle and Parabolic Charge combination worked well and I managed to catch all 3 Pokemon. The most noteworthy was Bellchime the Litwick, who I had used immediately if it had Flash Fire instead of Clear Body. But then came the gym battle...Xylophone battled Ninetales, but died quickly due to his low defense and his burns, and Ukelele avenged him. I was scared because Castanets was the only one with super effective moves, but I had no choice but to go on. So it was Arcanine vs Castanets. A burn and a Fire Wheel left Castanets at half health, and I needed it for Centiskorch, so I was forced to use either Wave or Ukelele to beat it. Wave was the chosen one, she died but not without damaging Arcanine and giving me time to heal Castanets. Goodbye champ, I'll miss you and mourn you. Ukelele finished Arcanine, and a healed Castanets beat Centiskorch after 4 extemely stressful turns. We survived but took many losses in the way, now I the four survivors and Bellchime went into new parts of the Wild Area...
Gym Badges: 3
Deaths: 15

• The Wild Area was filled with Pokemon from level 29 and beyond, so I went to the Isle of Armor to train a little. My first choice was to battle Avery again. Cymbal took care of his first 3 Pokemon including that damn Kadabra, and Slowbro was a joint effort between Cymbal and Castanets. Through I heard that in an alternate universe things went really wrong. I received Ondo the Kubfu, which became a new member. It was underleveled, but something told me it was going to be worth it. I trained against many roaming Pokemon, they were hard but rewarding experience-wise. I recommend trying them out as they feel like minibosses.
  • Back in the Wild Area, I caught Piccolo the Sneasel and Belltower the Bronzor, and later Wailing the Yamask. I choose Piccolo to replace Bellchime because it was effective against the next gym and had something to offer with his Ice-type. The battle with Hop was easy, Ukelele avenged her ancestor DJ one-shooting the ugly Drizzile.
  • My strategy for the gym was easy, Piccolo and Cymbal would take care of everything with their Dark-types. While not everything was one-shoted, we went through the puzzle just fine. Alistair's first 3 Pokemon were beaten by Piccolo and his Beat-up. The came Gengar, who with its first shot left Cymbal with 30% of health, so I thought was in trouble, until Cymbal counter attacked and OHKNO Gengar. Yeah!
  • A battle with a chef in Glimwood Tangle made me realize that I could be more prepared for fairies, so it was time to find a way to evolve Slowpoke...
Gym Badges: 4
Deaths: 15

• I was ready to start collecting Galarica Twigs, but I forgot that you need to be able to cross water to get to the woman who combines them. Thanks Gamefreak for your excellent game planning.:bulbaFacepalm: I reached the end of the Glimwood Tangle and caught Chelo the Sinistea, but she was a bit fragile and didn't seem to learn useful moves for the gym so she went to the box. In Ballonlea I battled the Evolite Dottle trainer and it had a surprisingly good attack...that decimated Castanets. Another gym star gone, against a Pokemon that was supposed to be a wall... I
  • I brought Belltower into the team, and went into the Wild Area looking for Poison TMs, and found a Roselia in a raid. She became Lira the Roselia and was well-suited for the gym. After that we trained more on the Isle of Armor and completed the Tower of Darkness Challenge with Ondo, so he became an Urshifu. Obviously he couldn't take part on the gym, neither the new member Violin the Heracross which could be useful for the Ice gym. Belltower evolved quickly and gained strong moves.
  • It was time to take on the gym, with Belltower and Lira as the stars. The gym trainers were easy, although the fact you can't switch or heal between battles made some dents on Lira. Lira had Toxic Spikes, but Opal leaded with Weezing and Mawile meant that that strategy had to wait for a while. Those two were defeated, Ukelele took care of Togekiss and at the end it was Lira vs Alcremie. As a Gigantamax it walled my attacks, so I made some time until it worn out and then attacked and it feel quickly. Yeah!
  • A few minutes later it was time to battle Hop, and everyone did an excellent job, specially Ondo, while Violin had a decent debut. Now, the next routes await...
Gym Badges: 5
Deaths: 16

• Route 8 was easy for the most part and a good place to train. I was afraid of the Ground-type double battle as it caused me so much trouble on my main SWSH playthrough. But at the end it wasn't easy nor hard and everyone survived. I caught Tamborine the Snorunt.
  • Then it was time to take on the Circhester Gym. Five out of six of my team had effective moves so I was very confident...until Melony appeared. Her Frosmoth killed Cymbals with a Bug Buzz, and a few minutes later Darmanitan killed Shamisen with Icicle Crash. Both were OHKNO'd by neutral attacks, I don't understand why. Thankfully Ondo Dynamaxed and took revenge for his older siblings and we got the badge. The battle with Hop that followed was surprisingly easy. I evolved Lira with the Shiny Stone.
  • In Route 8 I finally got access to water, but before evolving Hambone I choose to train a little, I caught Bass Drum the Jellicent which joined the team. The trainer battles made for a good training....until that darn Pyukumuku, which killed Lira with Counter. I really wanted to use her more, but those are the rules. I went to the Isle of Armor to collect twigs and evolve Hambone, and thankfully I did it eventually. During the way I also caught Piano the Crustle, he was underleveled but had potential.
  • I finally recovered my confidence, and went on to battle Marnie and everything went well. Game Freak doing two gyms weak to Fighting in a row is a weird choice by Gamefreak, but it surely gives me the impulse to go on. Let's see what happens with Team Yell's leader...
Gym Badges: 6
Deaths: 19

• The trainers in Spikemuth were easy, and gave everyone a chance to shine. Piers was a bit difficult since I made a couple mistakes (trying to use Heracross against a Malamar, not having anything prepared for Skuntank) but eventually we all made it through, in the later case Piccolo did a fantastic job.
  • After obtaining the badge I went into the Wild Area to see if there were any Ice TMs I could give Bass Drum in preparation for the gym. I didn't encountered any, but I encountered a Rhydon which I named as Organ the Rhydon as he could be useful against Raihan's Duraludon.
  • After everyone was in Level 51 and above it was time to take on the gym. The climatic battles were hard, because my Icy Wind didn't do enough damage so I had to change Pokemon constantly, and at the end we made it. The battle with Raihan was the toughest so far, because although Flygon and Gigalith went down easily, Duraludon was very resistant and Sandaconda managed to paralyze us. But after three turns or so we survived and we managed to kill it.
  • In Route 10 I beat the thousand trainers with the ones that didn't participate in the gym and everything went fine. Before the league, I want to see certain Tundra...
Gym Badges:8
Deaths: 19

• I went into the Crown Tundra, and since Peony's team is in the 70s I had to ignore Nuzlocke rules for that one battle. I thought I would white out, but we won with 1-2 members surviving. I caught Song the Swablu, which evolved quickly and Bagpipe the Suicune in a Dynamax Adventure, which I decided couldn't be used until after the League. I followed the story until the part where Peony gives you the scrolls, then I opted for exploring the place and train until the late 50s.
  • Later it was time to take on the Challengers Cup. Marnie and Hop went down easily and I didn't lose any team member. The problem came with Bede. In my memory Milo or Nessa was the first one, so I made a time that could cover both of them, leaving my Steel-type (Belltower) behind. Add that to my lack of understanding about how Psychic and Fairy resistances add up and you have a disastrous battle. I had to rely on Full Potions to make it through, and I had a loss...My dear Ukelele, which succumbed to GMAX Hatterene. Hambone saved the day, but it was really sad to see her go, specially since she was my only option against Nessa.
  • I crossed my fingers Milo was next, but nope, it was Nessa. The anxiety that I had to hit her with only neutral moves made me take a bad decision, send Violin the Heracross against Pelipper...RIP Girl. Ondo saved the day and we moved on both failures. Fortunately, we went up from there. Allister went down easily thanks to Piccolo, and the Raihan battle was actually pretty fun. Everyone did their best and did not let the weather weaken us. Organ got rid of Duraludon, and now it was time to do the unfamous Episode Eternatus...
Gym Badges:8
Deaths: 21

So this is it, the end of the main story. And it begins with...

• Those Steel trainers fell easily thanks to my team. However, in the battle with Rose I made a mistake, underestimating an attack-boosted Ferrothorn, which caused Piano's demise. Just when I had started to think Steel-types weren't that bad... The rest including the dynamaxed elephant toy went fine.
  • And now it was time to face Leon. I was scared but eventually bear his mons, shoutout to Piccolo for beating Haxorus and to Hambone for tanking some hits before I healed. Organ was the one I chose to battle Charizard, but of course he had to have G-Max grass
    whatever it's called lmao
    and OHKNO her losing my Dynamax AND my rock-type. My best option was to use Hambone's surf, but first I had to stall waiting for Dynamax to end, and it felt like 10 turns to be honest. After Charizard went back to normal. Hambone finished him in 2 or 3 turns with surf. While I obviously wanted Organ to survive and kill Char with rocks, it was very significant that my oldest team member was the one who finished the battle, he's definitely my ace.
  • With the league out of the way, I think I'll advance both DLC stories a little before taking on Episode Descendants, since it has a few fights I'm not looking forward to...
Post game completed: 0/3
Deaths: 23

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom