• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

My First Warstory! (Featuring CommandurrClowncrete)

How's the warstory?

• Awesome!

Votes: 8 88.9%
  • Good.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Improvable...

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters
Reaction score
(This was originally going to be a blog post, but the character limit prevents it from being the case. Instead, here it is.)

Let me tell you something I never told you before: I never played an online Pokémon battle before. I am serious. Even though I had written some things about Pokémon battling, I never actually got to battle a real player. So one day, when our resident experienced battler CommandurrClowncrete (very long username, I know, so he will be called CC henceforth) offered me a battle, I wasn’t sure what to do. I accepted the offer, but I didn’t know where to start. He suggested a semi-offensive team, so I did just that, and made this team that I will show you later. It wasn’t until today that I got to battle him for real, and this is the battle, provided with this nice link.

Viewing Pokemon replay: winstein-vs-RbyCC--2012-04-03-1

However, it’s no fun just to watch the battle, so each of us will provide our commentary and insights every turn.

winstein's team
Spr_5b_598.png
Spr_5b_593_f.png
Spr_5b_639.png
635.png
609.png
232.png
CC's team
Spr_5b_392.png
Spr_5b_038.png
Spr_5b_549.png
Spr_5b_555.png
Spr_4p_479O.png
Spr_5b_205.png

Battle between winstein and RbyCC started!

Tier: Wifi OU
Mode: Singles
Rule: Unrated

winstein sent out Ferrothorn!
RbyCC sent out Infernape!
winstein: Hello
RbyCC: hi!

winstein said:
When selecting CC’s PO name, I see that he’s using a Sun team. I am a bit worried because three of the members there are quite hard hitters, but since it’s my first battle, I might as well make the most out of it. Speaking of that, I would like to try out a Sun team some time. I wonder if CC could see my team, which I hope is the case, because that way, it’s fair game.

It surprised me to find out that my first Pokémon is going to be the lead. As a first timer in the game, I felt assured when CC welcomed me in the comment below, and he kindly explained to me that it’s because wifi clause isn’t on. Now, this is obviously not good for me because CC had the advantage, so I could only switch out into something safer.
CC said:
So, the battle starts. And at face value, I clearly have the advantage. My CB Infernape can kill his Ferrothorn multiple times. Unfortunately, there is something which immediately has ramifications on the battle. There is no wifi clause, which means that there was no team preview. Volt-turn requires team-preview to be successful. With team-preview, I can know what my opponent uses as his stealth-rocker, whether he has his T-tar or Politoed, which ground types he has, etc. Without team-preview, I am firing blindly which is always risky.
Now I don't believe that winstein will keep his Ferrothorn in against Infernape, with a flare blitz looming. Since I predict a switch, I will use U-turn to scout and grab the momentum.

Start of turn 1
winstein called Ferrothorn back!
winstein sent out Chandelure!

RbyCC's Infernape used U-turn!
It's not very effective...
Chandelure lost 27 HP! (10% of its health)
RbyCC: Welcome to the world of battling!
RbyCC called Infernape back!
RbyCC sent out Darmanitan!

Chandelure: 90%
Darmanitan: 100%

winstein said:
I reckon Chandelure is a safe switch, thanks to its dual immunity to Infernape’s dual STAB, but what surprised me is that CC went for the safe route by tagging out. When I see Darmanitan, I guess it is the Scarf variety based on deduction, and Chandelure is a Scarf variety itself, so it’s better to get out while I still can because Darmanitan is faster and it might use a powerful Rock Slide or Earthquake.
CC said:
I send in my Darmanitan to threaten him with a Rock-Slide. My Darmi is scarfed and can easily wreak havoc over any team with the sun up. At this point I think about using U-turn since I predict him to switch out. However, Chandelure is gonna be a big pain for my side, since it hard-counters almost four of my Pokemon. This is precisely why I decide to go for Rock-Slide, because if he stays in on my U-turn, I have no clear Chandelure switch-in. Ninetails, Infernape, Forretress and Rotom-W are sitting ducks against Chandy, leaving me with Lilligant who can't take a fire attack either.

Start of turn 2
winstein called Chandelure back!
winstein sent out Jellicent!

RbyCC's Darmanitan used Rock Slide!
Jellicent lost 116 HP! (28% of its health)

Jellicent restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

Jellicent: 78%
Darmanitan: 100%

winstein said:
I am amazed that Jellicent took little from a Rock Slide, so I overestimated Darmanitan’s power. By the way, even though the replay shows this Jellicent to be a male, I am actually using a female Jellicent, because in my opinion, they look much better than their male counterparts. Darmanitan’s escaping for sure, but I don’t know what’s next, so I went for the safer move. What is the safe option you ask? Definitely not Will-O-Wisp, because this is a Sun team with four Fire-types, so I went for something unconventional.
CC said:
He switches in his Jellicent to take the Rock-slide who will just shrug it off. I definitely don't want to keep Darmanitan in and take a super-effective Scald while not being able to do anything. At this point I decide to send in Ninetails. I need the sun up, pronto, for my team. I can easily take a scald after it has been weakened by Drought and with the weather up, my Lilligant will have its Chlorophyll activated as well.

Start of turn 3
RbyCC called Darmanitan back!
RbyCC sent out Ninetales!

RbyCC's Ninetales's Drought intensified the sun's rays!
Jellicent used Taunt!
RbyCC's Ninetales fell for the taunt!

The sunlight is strong! (No more of this message from here on)

Jellicent: 78%
Ninetales: 100% (Taunt)

winstein said:
One thing I am surprised is, how on earth does Jellicent taunt the opposition? Is it the noblewoman’s laugh? Anyway, with Ninetales not being able to do much now (I think), and because I am not confident with Jellicent’s ability to deal with Ninetales, I better switch out into something new.
CC said:
Now, that Step one is complete, its time to go to Step-2: send in Lilligant. If he uses Scald, Lilligant will laugh at the damage and easily force Jellicent out.

Start of turn 4
RbyCC called Ninetales back!
RbyCC sent out Lilligant!

winstein called Jellicent back!
winstein sent out Hydreigon!

RbyCC: wow nice double switch.
winstein: Yah, I guess.

Hydreigon: 100%
Lilligant: 100%

winstein said:
It appears that he had a similar idea, and so a double switch occurs. He complimented me for the switch, but I didn’t do that back, so CC, I want you to know that I think the double switch is great too. Lilligant is a great switch to Jellicent, just as Hydreigon is a good switch to the now taunted Ninetales. So, Lilligant is known as a Sun supporter, but even then, I didn’t expect much from it. I just went and attacked.
CC said:
And out of nowhere, winstein pulls out a switch which immediately puts me on the back-foot. My Lilligant has nothing to beat the hydra with and I will be massacred with a Fire-Blast, if I stay in. However, this is another scenario where I have my back pressed to the wall. I can't switch out to any of my other mons either, since a Draco-Meteor pretty much Ko'es the rest of my team(except Forretress, who cannot take the above-mentioned Fire-Blast either). This is the 4th turn. I don't want to sack something this early. So I decide to put it to sleep.

Start of turn 5
RbyCC's Lilligant used Sleep Powder!
Hydreigon fell asleep!

Hydreigon is fast asleep!

Hydreigon: 100% (Sleep)
Lilligant: 100%

winstein said:
Honestly, that caught me off guard. Sleep Powder is an awesome move that I complimented any Pokémon with this move, and of course, my opponent too. Looks like Hydreigon’s not going to be doing anything, and if Sleep Clause is active, I think it’s OK to leave Hydreigon, a normally restless and vicious Pokémon to rest and let the others do their thing. I suppose Ferrothorn is a good choice because it walls Lilligant, without regard to a potential Hidden Power Fire.
CC said:
Ha, and this is why I love Lilligant. I laugh at those sad sacks who keep saying, "Lilligant needs coverage" when my support Lilligant is easily my MVP in 50% of the matches. Leaf Storm clean koes shit left and right. Hp Rock gives great coverage, and Healing wish turns the tide of the battle.

There is no Sleep clause in this battle and I had a fleeting thought about putting his incoming Ferrothorn to sleep as well. But since I am a clean player(<.< no seriously!!) I decide to refrain from breaking the "clause".

I predicted him to switch to Ferrothorn since it walls support Lilligant all day long. He knows it. I know it too. And this is precisely why I decide to switch to my Infernape. He can not only scare away Ferrothorn and U-turn to grab momentum, but can also scare away Hydra if winstein does decide to gamble and keep the Hydra in.

Start of turn 6
RbyCC called Lilligant back!

winstein called Hydreigon back!

Ferrothorn: 100%
Infernape: 100%

winstein said:
Another double switch! I am yet again surprised by this. So, it appears to be the same matchup from the first turn. This time, I am not fooled, because I am going to be daring and stay in. I haven’t have entry hazards up, so it’s a good time to get some up now.
CC said:
It works out perfectly. Now he is again under-pressure. And this also why I love volt-turn. I keep my opponent on his/her toes for the entire match. With U-turn/ Volt-Switch + stealth rock damage adding up, my opponents rarely get a chance to execute their strategies. It requires some extreme predictions to defeat Volt-turn.(No, tangrowth sucks against volt-turn, don't even bother about it.)

I predict winstein to switch out to his Chandelure, so I decide to use U-turn to grab the momentum again. I will send out Darmanitan to scare out Chandelure, while he switches to Jellicent while he switch to Lilligant followed by another switch to Infernape to force out Ferrothorn, etc, etc.

Start of turn 7
RbyCC's Infernape used U-turn!
A critical hit!
Ferrothorn lost 158 HP! (44% of its health)
Ferrothorn's Iron Barbs hurts RbyCC's Infernape
RbyCC sent out Forretress!

Ferrothorn used Spikes!
Spikes were scattered all around the feet of RbyCC's team!

Ferrothorn restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

Ferrothorn: 62%
Infernape: 87%
Forretress: 100%

winstein said:
BAM! The first critical hit in the match, in a battle that CC hope is not haxxy. My decision had paid off, because not only do I have some Spikes up, Infernape’s a little hurt from Ferrothorn’s barbs. Forretress is new to me, because I didn’t remember that he had it in the first place. When seeing Forretress, I expect Rapid Spin, so I went for the obvious: Chandelure, because it blocks Spin and threatens Forretress.
CC said:
images

And out of nowhere, winstein pulls out the most badass prediction I have ever seen!! He decides to keep in his 4x weak ferrothorn in the face of a cb sun boosted flare-blitz and set up a layer of spikes. This turn means 2 things:1)I am predictable. 2) winstein isn't. I wish I had pressed Flare-Blitz but spamming Flare-Blitz is not something I like doing this early in the game especially with a flash fire mon just around the corner.

Unfortunately, he now has a layer of spikes. Let me put it this way, Volt-turn is closely related to entry-hazards and switching(duh?). Entry-Hazards in general are bad for my team while if my opponent sets up Stealth-Rock, and I am unable to spin them away, it can mean gg. In 90% of my ladder battles, my opponent is rarely able to set-up entry hazards due to the sheer pressure from Volt-Turn. Those Heatran and T-tar which switch in to set-up sr are welcomed with open arms by Infernape's Close Combat. I've even defeated rain-stall teams by piling up pressure on Politoed and co. But this scenario is different. Not only does he have a layer of Spikes up, but he has not 1 but 2 spin-blockers in his team. These are the sort of teams I dread facing, which are fully centered around Entry-Hazards and which have multiple Fire-resists in the wings. I can easily defeat Chandelure, by repeatedly forcing him in and take stealth-rock damage. Jellicent is slightly trickier but forretress + Lilligant generally defeat it pretty soon. But defeating them both is much trickier.

And to put my wear him down plan into action, I decide to lay Stealth-Rock on his side of the field and quickly remove Chandelure. I am pretty sure he will switch in his Chandelure to block rapid-spin.

Start of turn 8

RbyCC's Forretress used Stealth Rock!
Pointed stones float in the air around winstein's team!

Chandelure: 89%
Forretress: 100%

winstein said:
For some reason, I always thought I have only one Ghost-type in the team, as my stress had caused me to forget that Jellicent is one as well. In any case, Chandelure’s in, so something’s going to be mauled by a strong Special attack. Who’s next?
CC said:
And this turn also highlights a primary draw-back of stealth-rock. I wasted a turn which I could have used for something better like volt-switching on Chandelure to Daramanitan and scare it out again. Now he has the momentum. And I don't know which Chandy-set he is using. Scarf and Sub-split are the ones I see regularly(if you can call seeing Chandelure as regular). Sub-split ones are a nightmare to face. I am divided over sending Rotom-H or Darmanitan in. Darmanitan can actually do some damage to Chandy but if it turns out to be the sub-split variant, I will be screwed since U-tun will fail to break the sub, while getting locked into Rock-Slide isn't ideal. On the otherhand Rotom-H can not only break a Sub if need nut also survive a fire attack.

Start of turn 9
RbyCC called Forretress back!
RbyCC sent out Rotom-H!

Chandelure used Shadow Ball!
RbyCC's Rotom-H lost 63% of its health!

Chandelure: 89%
Rotom-H: 37%

winstein said:
It might be strange to see me use Shadow Ball here, but I expected a switch into something that resists Fire. Shadow Ball’s the other reliable option, since my other two non-Fire attacks are resisted by Fire-types. In hindsight, this is the best move, because Forretress only resists this move on the team, and it doesn’t particularly enjoy Chandelure anyway. So, thinking that Chandelure will get the first strike with a Timid nature, I went for another Shadow Ball, thinking that Rotom-H might be Modest (meaning that it will be slower than Chandelure, in that case).
CC said:
Holy S*#t that did a lot. He not only predicts my switch-in but shaves off a brutal chunk of my main wall-breaker. I know now that he is scarfed since I see no Life-Orb recoil. Unfortunately,it is a scenario of a little information availed too late at a heavy cost.

I can switch to Forretress since he can take a shadow-ball. But I sponge the shadow-ball and what after that? My forretress runs Gyro Ball/ Volt-switch/ Sr/ Rs and Gyro ball fails to do anything substantial while all he has to do is to wear out my Forretress with repeated Shadow-Ball. I might come out on top 1 vs 1 but I would end up with my spinner's health completely deterioted.

I decide to send in Daramanitan to kill that damned ghost.

In Retrospect:Death Foddering Ninetails would have been the correct step.

Start of turn 10
RbyCC's Rotom-H used Volt Switch!
Chandelure lost 121 HP! (46% of its health)
RbyCC called Rotom-H back!
RbyCC's Darmanitan is hurt by spikes!

Chandelure used Shadow Ball!
RbyCC's Darmanitan lost 71% of its health!

winstein: How do I save a replay of this?
RbyCC: there is a save log option.
RbyCC: just above the movesw tab.

Chandelure: 43%
Darmanitan: 16%

winstein said:
Noticing how fast Rotom-H is, that means it is of a Timid nature as well, and it has Scarf to boot. I am not sure if this would give away the fact that Chandelure’s holding a Scarf and has a boosting nature, but I will take it. Instead of going to Jellicent like I did, I went for Donphan, because I really would love to use Rapid Spin.
CC said:
Well, my Rotom-H runs timid to take on +1 Gyarados.

Well, I switch in my Darmi while it takes a chunk as well becuase of a layer of spikes + base 145 spatk pokemon spamming a 80 base powered move receiving STAB and hitting neutrally. I go for Rock-Slide. U-Turn or Flare-Blitz would be better but he might stay in since sr limits his number of switch-ins and I will not trust him to "play the obvious" since I have payed for it once.

In Retrospect: I should have used Flare-Blitz but I was too chicken to predict at that point.

Start of turn 11
winstein called Chandelure back!
winstein sent out Donphan!
Pointed stones dug into Donphan!

RbyCC's Darmanitan used Rock Slide!
Donphan lost 41 HP! (10% of its health)

Donphan restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

Donphan: 90%
Darmanitan: 16%

winstein said:
During this turn, I wonder if it would be more useful to use Rapid Spin or set up Stealth Rock, because his team is weak to Stealth Rock, which would have more impact in the match than Rapid Spin. On the other hand, Rapid Spin allows Chandelure to survive more often. I went for Rocks, because it will prevent Darmanitan from coming in again.
CC said:
He had a Donphan...And now he will set up stealth-rock...Not being able to see his team prior to the battle comes to hurt me here since I had no idea about this nutter before this turn.

Keeping Darmanitan in would be beyond retarded. I immediately switch to my Lilligant to kill this elephant before it could much.

Start of turn 12
RbyCC called Darmanitan back!
RbyCC's Lilligant is hurt by spikes!

Donphan used Stealth Rock!
Pointed stones float in the air around RbyCC's team!

Donphan restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

Donphan: 96%
Lilligant: 87%

winstein said:
I decided to risk Rapid Spin, even though Donphan’s not in “Sturdy” condition.
CC said:
gg, with rocks on my side, all my chances of winning just took a giant beating. No! Let me rephrase that: With rocks on my side and 2 spin-blockers to screw my spinning, my hopes of winning start to fade away..
I decide to use Leaf-Storm. My original intention was to simply switch back to Infernape for a predicted Ferrothorn switch-in. However, over-predicting has come to hurt me in this battle. So, leaf storm it is.

Start of turn 13
RbyCC's Lilligant used Leaf Storm!
It's super effective!
Donphan lost 367 HP! (95% of its health)
Donphan fainted!
RbyCC's Lilligant's Sp. Att. sharply fell!
RbyCC's Lilligant is hurt by its Life Orb!

Pointed stones dug into Ferrothorn!

Donphan: FNT
Ferrothorn: 54%
Lilligant: 77% (SpAtk -2)

Score: 6 – 5 (Adv: CC)

winstein said:
Ouch! Well, I paid for my mistake. Without Donphan, entry hazards can’t be removed, making Chandelure’s life harder. At this point, I am a little worried about things to come. For now, I went for Ferrothorn because Lilligant’s not going to do much to it, even though I am once again banking on it not knowing Hidden Power Fire. I decided for something unconventional again.
CC said:
Finally, I get a ko. But Ferrothorn shows its smelly face again and comes back to harass my poor Lilli. I am switching out to my Foretress who can take any Gyro Ball and lure in Chandelure(lolpun).

Start of turn 14
Pointed stones dug into RbyCC's Forretress!
RbyCC's Forretress is hurt by spikes!

Ferrothorn used Leech Seed!
RbyCC's Forretress was seeded!

RbyCC's Forretress's health is sapped by leech seed.

Ferrothorn: 73%
Forretress: 62% (Leech Seed)

winstein said:
Yep, instead of stacking Spikes like good players would normally do, I decided to use Leech Seed, with the assumption that Lilligant won’t be staying. Besides, I need some recovery for Ferrothorn. Just an interesting tidbit: whenever Ferrothorn puts Leech Seed on Forretress, it will always work, because Forretress cannot spin them away in time for it to sap HP, and spinning will hurt Forretress, making a long-drawn battle between them in Ferrothorn’s favour.

Anyway, Chandelure’s going next, because it has enough HP to survive Stealth Rock.
CC said:
I am switching out this turn anyway so that leech seed won't be a problem. I'll volt-switch on Chandelure and grab the momentum.

Start of turn 15
Pointed stones dug into Chandelure!

RbyCC's Forretress used Volt Switch!
Chandelure lost 41 HP! (15% of its health)
Pointed stones dug into RbyCC's Lilligant!

Chandelure: 3%
Lilligant: 52%

winstein said:
I am surprised that Chandelure actually survived that! However, Chandelure’s candles are going out soon, so an attack is underway, no matter how futile that is.
CC said:
Finally, I have trapped his Chandelure. He can't switch out due to stealth rock. HP rock will finally get me rid of one of his spin-blocker duo.

Start of turn 16
RbyCC's Lilligant used Hidden Power!
It's super effective!
Chandelure lost 7 HP! (2% of its health)
Chandelure fainted!

Pointed stones dug into Jellicent!

Chandelure: FNT
Jellicent: 70%
Lilligant: 42%

Score: 6 – 4 (Adv: CC)

winstein said:
I thought I lost my only spinblocker, because I was conditioned to think that every team usually only have one spinblocker max. That assumption ended there when I remembered Jellicent’s another spinblocker! My hopes are raised. I was wondering what kind of Hidden Power Lilligant has, as it could be Rock or Ground. But snapping back to reality, I found out that I put in the wrong Pokémon, because Jellicent is not going to be surviving Leaf Storm anytime soon. But wait! You know how people say that you could turn a disadvantage into an advantage? I did just that.
CC said:
I don't know why he switches in Jellicent. I have a feeling that this might be a lure to force my Lilligant to use Leafstorm. Unfortunately due to the multiple hazards on my side, my hands are tied. I can't risk a double-switch to Infernape like last time, lest he decides to sack Jellicent like he did with Donphan.

Start of turn 17

RbyCC's Lilligant used Leaf Storm!
A critical hit!
Ferrothorn lost 104 HP! (29% of its health)
RbyCC's Lilligant's Sp. Att. sharply fell!

Ferrothorn: 44%
Lilligant: 32% (SpAtk -2)

winstein said:
The good news is that my lure worked. The bad news is that it was a critical hit. It’s not too bad though, because Ferrothorn still comes out strong. With Ferrothorn in, I decided to attempt an attack without considering the option that he has another Fire-type waiting in the wings…
CC said:
He unpredictably does the predictable move. Yeah I'm complex. I switch to my Ninetails since he can take any attack Ferro has and can ko back with Flamthrower.

Start of turn 18
Pointed stones dug into RbyCC's Ninetales!
RbyCC's Ninetales is hurt by spikes!

Ferrothorn used Gyro Ball!
RbyCC's Ninetales lost 27% of its health!

RbyCC's Ninetales restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

Ferrothorn: 50%
Ninetales: 41%

winstein said:
Gyro Ball isn’t quite effective despite the high power, but I can’t leave Ferrothorn on a Fire-type. Jellicent sounds about good now. I come to realise how effective the Ferrothorn and Jellicent defensive core really is. The only problem is the Rotom-H, which could effectively neuter them. That’s not the case here, but it’s something to consider.
CC said:
I'm gonna use Substitute here. He might switch in his Hydreigon or his last mystery Pokemon.In either case Substitute eases my predictions.

Start of turn 19

RbyCC's Ninetales used Substitute!
RbyCC's Ninetales made a substitute!

Jellicent: 64%
Ninetales: 23%

winstein said:
CC used an unexpected move, one that got me a bit worried because I do not know how much Surf will do, thanks to the Sun. I still went with it, hoping that the Substitute will be gone.
CC said:
He sends out Jellicent which hard-counters my Ninetails offensively. I decide to go for Will-o-wisp to get that extra damage on Jellicent that I need.

Start of turn 20
RbyCC's Ninetales used Will-O-Wisp!
Jellicent was burned!

Jellicent used Surf!
It's super effective!
RbyCC's Ninetales's substitute faded!

Jellicent is hurt by its burn!

Jellicent: 58% (Burn)
Ninetales: 29%

winstein said:
I don’t know how much a Burn will affect Jellicent, but I decided to use Surf, regardless of my safety.
CC said:
I decide to send in my Lilligant to take the surf.

In Retrospect:I totally forgot that lilligant cant take a surf after the hazards damage. I should have sacked my Ninetails and brought in my Lilligant and got of that healing wish to restore my Darmanitan who could then have ripped apart the rest of his team with Chandelure gone.

Start of turn 21

Jellicent used Surf!
RbyCC's Lilligant lost 7% of its health!
RbyCC's Lilligant fainted!

RbyCC sent out Rotom-H!
Pointed stones dug into RbyCC's Rotom-H!

Jellicent: 52% (Burn)
Lilligant: FNT
Rotom-H: 11%

Score: 5 – 4 (Adv: CC)

winstein said:
I think this is a good move by CC. Sacrificing Lilligant (who won’t be doing much any time soon), and replacing Lilligant with Rotom-H, which the FerroCent core does not like the least bit. I decided to move back to a safer and still sleeping Hydreigon, because it resists both of Rotom’s STABs.
CC said:
By now, It is game over. I send in my Rotom-H to add some damage with Volt-Switch but it wont make much of a difference.

Start of turn 22
winstein sent out Hydreigon!
Pointed stones dug into Hydreigon!

RbyCC's Rotom-H used Volt Switch!
Hydreigon lost 64 HP! (19% of its health)
RbyCC called Rotom-H back!

Hydreigon: 68% (Sleep)
Forretress: 37%

winstein said:
He’s got the momentum there, which is the advantage with U-turn and Volt Switch: they always have the advantage in pressuring the opponent by continually using one of these attacks and switching in a problem Pokémon. I won’t let that deter me, despite knowing that CC might use Volt Switch (because Jellicent is very bulky and can survive it).
CC said:
He brings out the sleeping Hydra. I decide to send out Foretress in hopes that it will remain asleep and again lure out Jellicent and wear it down to ko point.

Start of turn 23
winstein called Hydreigon back!

RbyCC's Forretress used Volt Switch!
It's super effective!
Jellicent lost 66 HP! (16% of its health)
Pointed stones dug into RbyCC's Infernape!
RbyCC's Infernape is hurt by spikes!

Jellicent: 17% (Burn)
Infernape: 62%

winstein said:
I find it odd that CC went for Infernape here. I thought I am in the clear, due to Jellicent possibly surviving U-turn. I went for Recover, because she is running low on HP.
CC said:
From this range Infernape koes cleanly with Flare-Blitz. If he switches out, the switch-in will be massacred as well, unless his last Pokemon happens to be Heatran..

Start of turn 24
RbyCC's Infernape used Flare Blitz!
Jellicent lost 71 HP! (17% of its health)
Jellicent fainted!
RbyCC's Infernape is hit with recoil!

winstein sent out Terrakion!
Pointed stones dug into Terrakion!

Jellicent: FNT
Terrakion: 93%
Infernape: 56%

Score: 5 – 3 (Adv: CC)

winstein said:
Ouch! Another of my Pokémon went down. It’s the only Pokémon that could deal with his other Fire-types well, so it’s sad to see Jellicent go. Infernape is really the Pokémon that I am now worried because Jellicent’s down, but this allows Terrakion, my big gun, to shine. This Terrakion has two setup moves, which is good to use, but I think taking out Infernape is more important, so Close Combat it is. Despite this, I am still worried about Infernape because of a possible Speed tie.
CC said:
And his last mon happens to be another which my team has problems with. What Terrakion is this? Scarfed? Banded? Sub + SdI decide to death-fodder Ninetails and see what he is running.

Start of turn 25
Pointed stones dug into RbyCC's Ninetales!
RbyCC's Ninetales is hurt by spikes!
RbyCC's Ninetales fainted!

Terrakion used Close Combat!
But there was no target...

Pointed stones dug into RbyCC's Infernape!
RbyCC's Infernape is hurt by spikes!

Terrakion: 93%
Ninetales: FNT
Infernape: 30%

Score: 4 – 3 (Adv: CC)

winstein said:
When that happened, I thought that I could have taken advantage of Infernape’s vulnerability and used Rock Polish, because Infernape is most likely carrying a Choice item. Well, the Speed gamble’s on because of this oversight.
CC said:
Remember that layer of spike? Yes, that is what precisley killed my Ninetails. Had it not been for that, I could have atleast got some insight on the set he was running. I send in my Infernape for his coveted Iron-Fist Mach-Punch.

Start of turn 26
RbyCC's Infernape used Mach Punch!
It's super effective!
Terrakion lost 258 HP! (79% of its health)

RbyCC's Infernape lost 30% of its health!
RbyCC's Infernape fainted!
Terrakion's Defense fell!
Terrakion's Sp. Def. fell!
Terrakion is hurt by its Life Orb!

Terrakion: 4%
Infernape: FNT
Forretress: 12%

Score: 3 – 3

winstein said:
You go, Terrakion! It just occurred to me that perhaps CC didn’t know what item Terrakion was holding, because Ninetales fainted before it could be revealed. If he know, and Infernape’s holding a Scarf, it could very well mean my loss. Still, Mach Punch packed a mean punch, but I am glad Terrakion came up on top.
CC said:
And at this point it is game-over. Had my ninetails survived that hazards damage, Terrakion would not only have taken LO damage but would also have its defense lowered due to Close Combat. After that Infernape's Mach Punch would surely have ko-ed..

It is gg here as his Terrakion and the entry hazards clean up what remains.

Start of turn 27
RbyCC's Forretress lost 12% of its health!
RbyCC's Forretress fainted!
Terrakion's Defense fell!
Terrakion's Sp. Def. fell!
Terrakion is hurt by its Life Orb!
Terrakion fainted!

Terrakion: FNT
Forretress: FNT

Score: 2 – 2

winstein said:
At this point, I am home free. Initially, I was afraid that Forretress will use Rapid Spin (which I suspected that CC was using), but Terrakion’s Speed made sure that doesn’t happen. What I didn’t expect was Terrakion to faint after taking out Forretress, because I didn’t take into account the Life Orb recoil.

RbyCC: gg

Pointed stones dug into RbyCC's Darmanitan!
RbyCC's Darmanitan fainted!

RbyCC sent out Rotom-H!
Pointed stones dug into RbyCC's Rotom-H!
RbyCC's Rotom-H fainted!

Ferrothorn: 43%
Hydreigon: 68% (Sleep)
Darmanitan: FNT
Rotom-H: FNT

Score: 2 – 0 (Adv: winstein)

winstein won the battle!
winstein: Alright-io, I won!
RbyCC: ..
winstein: So, how was the battle?
RbyCC: it was good.
RbyCC: it was a sort of team i dread.

winstein said:
I was surprised to see that his remaining Pokémon fainted thanks to the Stealth Rocks I put up earlier, which made me glad that they were up in the first place, because without them, Ferrothorn would not stand a chance while Hydreigon is essentially a sitting duck.

So that’s it for this battle! I personally enjoyed the thrill of a good online battle, and CC gave me just that. It has some odd moments, good predictions and certainly the fun of playing with an experienced player. I forgotten to say “gg” back to CC, but I should remember that bit of courtesy next time. Thanks for a great game!

Noticing what he said about my team being the “sort of team he dreads”, I can’t help but wonder what it means. I think CC could fill me on this one.
CC said:
And that ends the battle. It was definitely epic(It lasted for 6 minutes or so). GG to winstein who had a fairly solid team.

Going through the battle again, it was this turn where I could have arrested the downward spiral:
Start of turn 21

Jellicent used Surf!
RbyCC's Lilligant lost 7% of its health!
RbyCC's Lilligant fainted!
but I didn't stand up to the occasion I guess. Though I still have difficulty believing that this was winstein's first battle. He was playing like a pro.

winstein's Pros and Cons about CC:
+ Being an awesome opponent in my first Pokémon Online battle
+ Using a Sun team
+ Providing intensity in the battle with good predictions and momentum-building
+ Infernape’s a threatening Pokémon to face
- Darmanitan didn’t do too much​

CC’s Pros and Cons about winstein:
+ For playing well.
+ Having a solid team.
+ Using a dual ghost core, which i had trouble breaking.
+ Showing great enthusiasm for battling.
- None.​

CC's MVP, according to winstein
Lilligant

160px-549Lilligant_Dream.png

This is the Pokémon that gave me the most trouble. For one, she dispatched Hydreigon with a
simple Sleep spell, and she KO'd two of my other Pokémon as well. Grass-types for the win!
winstein's MVP, according to CC
Chandelure

180px-609Chandelure.png

It prevented Darmanitan and co. from tearing your team to pieces for just enough time. It also dented 2 of my sweepers.

I hope you enjoyed my first warstory, which is incidentally my first battle online. Tell me what you think of it in the comments. I would love to hear it. I hope you enjoyed reading this as much as we have making it.
CC said:
And yeah drop some cash behind for us starving writers!:ching:

Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
Wow. That was incredible. Both of you did a terrific job. I saw the video and read the commentary, and I have to agree CC, the moment that clinched the defeat for you was the switch from Ninetales to Lilligant.

Winstein, for someone who never battled online before, you handled yourself like a pro. Good game.

Great game guys, it looks like you both played well and the battle was awesome. Kudos to winstein for it being his first battle and using a double-ghost team and also to CC for using not only Sun teams which I love but also a U-Turn/Volt Switch team which I find pretty awesome.

Congrats guys, I hope to battle both of you. It's sure be fun.

This was quite the entertaining read, guys. And congrats on starting off PO with this epicness, winstein!

for a sec, i thought it was a red blue yellow challenge cup match. derp. good job, though.

This looked like a lot of fun! Makes me wanna post my first *official* warstory outside of my blogs, warstories we're always some of my most favorite threads to read on other sites. Keep it up winstein and Commandurr! We need more competitive battlers, more warstories, and more threads like this on Bulbagarden ;)

Damn, Winstein, you're going to be a goood battler. GG to both.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom