• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

My least favorite pokemon game

Tom847

Reaction score
my least favorite Pokemon game was by far heart gold/soul silver. mechanics and graphics were a huge upgrade from gen 3, but trying to get through the Cynthia's team was nearly impossible. Starting off with the spiritoumb, the thing had double team was (for me) the hardest part of her team. For me a little challenge was good, like in b,w,b2,w2 where you could change the difficulty of the game, but that dang team was so well designed it just made me want to go:boom:.

So what you're saying is that you hate a game because a battle that wasn't in it was too hard for you.

1310483412100.jpg

Probably X/Y to me. While the large Pokémon selection and Pokémon Amie were nice, I felt they made too many aspects of the game much simpler.

I liked gen 4 as a whole but diamond/pearl were an absolute mess. Ridiculously slow to start with. The lack of fire types made them very unbalanced. I hated the honey tree mode of capture, as well. You needed a huge number of hms in the game, slowing down progress even more. I liked and replay Platinum occasionally. D/P? Never. It's just a painful and slow grind.

Like Lord Clowncrete said, Diamond and Pearl. I hated how slow the battles and Surfing speed were, lack of fire-types, and I felt the Team Galactic plot to be lacking. Platinum is what DP SHOULD have been.

Gen 1 and Gen 2. It's probably because I played them so many times that I'm just bored of them.

I don't really hate Gen 4 since it has a lot of stuff to do, but the slow speed would often end up being more than nerve wracking :/

pokemon esmerald and platinium...
are interesting games but I don't get fun playing them.. i don't know why

B2/W2 bored me so much that I’ve never been able to finish. I can’t even explain why, it’s just like every time I try to force myself to play it and get into it, it fails and feels like a chore. Honestly, I’d rather have just had a normal, slightly-upgraded 3rd version (a Grey Version) rather than a sequel to B/W, since at least I’ve enjoyed every other 3rd version a ton.

I actually was worried that my inability to enjoy B2/W2 meant I was getting tired of Pokémon (since B/W itself was just all right to me, not one of my faves but okay), but I LOVED Y Version so thankfully that was not the case.

B2/W2 bored me so much that I’ve never been able to finish. I can’t even explain why, it’s just like every time I try to force myself to play it and get into it, it fails and feels like a chore. Honestly, I’d rather have just had a normal, slightly-upgraded 3rd version (a Grey Version) rather than a sequel to B/W, since at least I’ve enjoyed every other 3rd version a ton.

I actually was worried that my inability to enjoy B2/W2 meant I was getting tired of Pokémon (since B/W itself was just all right to me, not one of my faves but okay), but I LOVED Y Version so thankfully that was not the case.

But did u get to the postgame? Because PWT and the other features are awesome.

But did u get to the postgame? Because PWT and the other features are awesome.
I didn't, but if a game doesn't "click" with me within 10 hours of playing or so, it's just not for me. The PWT does sound interesting, but even in other games I don't really do battle-related postgame stuff like Y's Maison for very long (except the Battle Frontier in Emerald, that was fun), so I'm not sure it'd make much difference. And I didn't really care about the story in B/W at all, so any post-game stuff about that wouldn't really lure me back in either. But maybe someday I'll go back and try to get through it.

I've always made it clear that my least favorite Generation usually was Gen II. However, technically speaking, Gen IV is actually my least favorite. Why? There's a very simple reason for that.

Diamond and Pearl, when they were first released, suffered from a severely slowed pace of gameplay speed compared to Gen III. Even considering having to downgrade back to 30 FPS didn't convince me as to why these games were so slow; Gen I ran like heck in regards to how fast it was, and that's saying a lot considering how bugged it was. So why were D/P so slow to begin with considering Platinum fixed all but one of said problems? It's simply because Game Freak was experimenting with the save game function to try and improve it but didn't manage to properly refine it in time for Gen IV's debut.

Platinum is the better game of D/P, but I will still admit it still suffers from it's own problems, which include the above mentioned slowed pace regarding saving your game (especially when accessing a PC), and also the fact both Platinum and D/P share a 24 hour reset on the Pal Park in order to use it again. This really irks me mainly because while I was completing the national dex in Gen V's time, I had at least 3 boxes of Pokemon in FireRed and only Platinum to work with regarding a save game that had access to Pal Park and all.

Then of course there's HG/SS. HG/SS, in theory, should technically be better than D/P/Pt because of the fact the whole speed issue has been resolved by this point in particular... HOWEVER, there now exists a huge problem regarding the inherited difficulty of the Johto Gyms from Gen II, and the fact the leveling curve was made much harsher for HG/SS just to ensure Red's team was the absolute strongest trainer team via normal in-game standards. Normally, I would address some of the gym related issues in Gen II... but many of the moves and abilities that make the gyms in question so hard in general did not exist until Gen IV. For instance; Falkner's Pidgeotto which is not only under-leveled but also effectively has Recover as a move? Gen IV. Bugsy's Scyther with actual, hard hitting Bug STAB? Gen IV. Whitney's Miltank with Scrappy and thus can hit Ghost Types? Gen IV. Morty's Gengar with Special Shadow Ball and Levitate? Gen IV. The list goes on and on from there on out, even extending into Kanto, but you get the idea; in Gen II, the gyms were relatively easy despite their strong Pokemon because they lacked abilities and had movepools that generally sucked, but in Gen IV, they're near perfect killing machines for whatever you'll have access to at the time.

So, yeah, Gen IV as a whole is my least favorite set of Pokemon Games without question. Thankfully Gen VI is looking to be the exact opposite problem as Gen IV was at the current time, primarily in regards to being the first ever Generation that has remakes of an older Gen that DIDN'T suck in my eyes, and the fact the first actual 3D Video Game Leap happens in this Generation as well is also a HUGE plus.

I've said it a million times by now, so I honestly don't want to post another 10 paragraph essay, but its near impossible not to when discussing Pokemon X and Y, or as I like to call them, X and WHYYYYYYY. Apart from the fantastic new Pokemon and the stellar graphics, they're awful, especially coming from the paragon of Pokemon that is Black 2 and White 2.

I've always made it clear that my least favorite Generation usually was Gen II. However, technically speaking, Gen IV is actually my least favorite. Why? There's a very simple reason for that.

Diamond and Pearl, when they were first released, suffered from a severely slowed pace of gameplay speed compared to Gen III. Even considering having to downgrade back to 30 FPS didn't convince me as to why these games were so slow; Gen I ran like heck in regards to how fast it was, and that's saying a lot considering how bugged it was. So why were D/P so slow to begin with considering Platinum fixed all but one of said problems? It's simply because Game Freak was experimenting with the save game function to try and improve it but didn't manage to properly refine it in time for Gen IV's debut.

Platinum is the better game of D/P, but I will still admit it still suffers from it's own problems, which include the above mentioned slowed pace regarding saving your game (especially when accessing a PC), and also the fact both Platinum and D/P share a 24 hour reset on the Pal Park in order to use it again. This really irks me mainly because while I was completing the national dex in Gen V's time, I had at least 3 boxes of Pokemon in FireRed and only Platinum to work with regarding a save game that had access to Pal Park and all.

Then of course there's HG/SS. HG/SS, in theory, should technically be better than D/P/Pt because of the fact the whole speed issue has been resolved by this point in particular... HOWEVER, there now exists a huge problem regarding the inherited difficulty of the Johto Gyms from Gen II, and the fact the leveling curve was made much harsher for HG/SS just to ensure Red's team was the absolute strongest trainer team via normal in-game standards. Normally, I would address some of the gym related issues in Gen II... but many of the moves and abilities that make the gyms in question so hard in general did not exist until Gen IV. For instance; Falkner's Pidgeotto which is not only under-leveled but also effectively has Recover as a move? Gen IV. Bugsy's Scyther with actual, hard hitting Bug STAB? Gen IV. Whitney's Miltank with Scrappy and thus can hit Ghost Types? Gen IV. Morty's Gengar with Special Shadow Ball and Levitate? Gen IV. The list goes on and on from there on out, even extending into Kanto, but you get the idea; in Gen II, the gyms were relatively easy despite their strong Pokemon because they lacked abilities and had movepools that generally sucked, but in Gen IV, they're near perfect killing machines for whatever you'll have access to at the time.

So, yeah, Gen IV as a whole is my least favorite set of Pokemon Games without question. Thankfully Gen VI is looking to be the exact opposite problem as Gen IV was at the current time, primarily in regards to being the first ever Generation that has remakes of an older Gen that DIDN'T suck in my eyes, and the fact the first actual 3D Video Game Leap happens in this Generation as well is also a HUGE plus.

Waaaait a minute... How is HGSS an improvement? It was still slow. And what's most annoying, No other game iirc, had such a slow HP bar drain. It takes a lot and makes Battles to be quite annoying sometimes...

Waaaait a minute... How is HGSS an improvement? It was still slow. And what's most annoying, No other game iirc, had such a slow HP bar drain. It takes a lot and makes Battles to be quite annoying sometimes...

It no longer takes forever to save whenever you access the PC at any possible time, and you can use Pal Park as many times as you want with no limits. Aside from that and the Berry Pots, though, that's just about it when they're compared to D/P/Pt.

It no longer takes forever to save whenever you access the PC at any possible time, and you can use Pal Park as many times as you want with no limits. Aside from that and the Berry Pots, though, that's just about it when they're compared to D/P/Pt.

Also worth pointing out that Hg/SS' menu system was far superior compared to d/p. You already had all the menu options on the touch screen and only had to touch the screen once to access them. In d/p, you had to press X and then scroll down and then press A again. The item(bag) menu in d/p was clunky as well. You had to scroll down a huge list of items compared to simply having six items per page and simply pressing one button to go to the next 6. (The item buttons also had images associated with them in hg/ss making identification easier, atleast for me) You could also register 2 items and quickly access both from the touch screen in hg/ss.

I haven't played the gen 6 games, but for me hg/ss were the peak when it comes to the design. They should have given us an option to put the menu in the touch screen in gen 5 instead of the multiplayer options, simply because your average player is going to need the menu a lot more than the entralink and infrared stuff.

Menu design may seem like a minor grievance but when you consider how often you use the menu during every game play session, it really starts adding up to the frustration and the "game is too slow" feeling.

My least favorite games happen to be...Red and Blue. Don't shoot me! Their graphics were very primitive, the Pokemon sprites ranged from decent to downright ugly at times, I hated the S.S. Anne music, the box feature was extremely clunky, you couldn't re-battle trainers, and it was nigh impossible to finish the PokeDex.

My least favorite game are gen 1 and two games. First games in have no colour. RBY and GSC have poor graphics and several glitches. ORAS comes at a close second but only for the lack of Emerald elements. The rest of ORAS was good but the absence of things like Battle Frontier was a real let down.

my least favorite Pokemon game was by far heart gold/soul silver. mechanics and graphics were a huge upgrade from gen 3, but trying to get through the Cynthia's team was nearly impossible.

But you can't battle Cynthia in HGSS...?

My least-favorites are equally RS and DP. They are just unrefined in comparison to their follow-ups, but even on their own, they are still rather messy.

I'll agree with RBY and GSC. They're just horrifically outdated now. Even FRLG and HGSS struggled to cover up all the warts.

That said, RGB were the originals, provided the 'heart' of the series that's lasted since. And GSC were brilliant as sequels, as well as a massive step up in mechanics and game play.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom