• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Movies/TV My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic

Who is your favourite pony?

• Twilight Sparkle

Votes: 42 14.0%
  • Rainbow Dash

Votes: 78 25.9%
  • Pinkie Pie

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Rarity

Votes: 39 13.0%
  • Applejack

Votes: 16 5.3%
  • Fluttershy

Votes: 80 26.6%

• Total voters
My review of Keep Calm and Flutter on:

The writers finally did it, they made another episode with Discord without screwing up, and it was actually pretty good. I feared that the writers would screw up big time, but I was happy that they knew how to do it.

Discord was pretty funny in the episode. It was fun seeing him mess around with the ponies. It was also fun seeing him mess around with Angel. What else did I like? Well, Discord didn't turn Fluttershy into "Flutterb*tch" and I was so glad that Fluttershy didn't turn into the mean, cruel, heartless jerk that almost made me hate her. But she gave Discord a chance. She was stern, and she was very forgiving, now that's the Fluttershy I know and love.

Also, the last line made my Discord in the end, the title drop of "Friendship is Magic", I was wondering when that would be said in this show, I smiled when I heard it.

But while this episode was great on it's own, there is one thing that was never explained, and that thing is the fact that we didn't get a back story on exactly why Celestia wanted Discord to be good. I just wish that the writers give us a more clearer reason why Celestia wanted Discord to be good. Yes, she said she wanted him to use his magic for good, but why? Did they used to be friends when they were young, never explained. I wanted something deep to the reason why she wanted him to be good.

Now you might say "Well it's a kids show, so it shouldn't be deep". If you say that, I can only say that this reason is a total lie. Even kids shows need to treat their kid audience like adults, this is something I really wish the Pokemon anime did, but that's another story. Why do people think My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic is so good? It doesn't treat the kids like they're idiots, unlike some kids cartoons these days *cough*Spongebob*cough*. That's all I really wanted; a reason why Celestia wanted Discord to be good. Perhaps the writers are planning something big in the future, possibly involving Discord, but we have no idea as to what it might be, but maybe I'm looking too far ahead of times...

All in all, while this episode didn't reach my full expectations, but at the same time, it blew away my expectations, regardless, it was a very enjoyable episode, the writers have yet to disappoint us (other than with the Crystal Empire episodes, but that's another story), This episode definitely gets a 9/10 from me.

Oh Arceus. Two episodes left, Keep Calm and Flutter on and the Princess Coronation.

I have no problem in Alicorn Twilight.

And I refuse to accept any Alisparkle complaints without a valid reason.

Actually there are two more episodes between now and the finale. There's next week's episode "Just for Sidekicks" and the week after that where there'll be an episode where they're preparing for the Equestria Games. There are 13 episodes in season 3, not 11:)

My thoughts on Keep Calm And Flutter On.

It's very difficult for me to decide on my favourites for anything. However, in this case, I have no trouble putting this latest episode into my personal top five of MLP episodes.

Fluttershy, my favourite character in the show, trying to reform Discord, my favourite villain in the show so far? Holy crap! I'm a little surprised that she was so willing to give him a second chance, considering since she seemed to be the most angry at him before, but if it gives us more time to enjoy Discord's antics, I'm not complaining. He was just as entertaining as before, and I was constantly tense throughout the episode that he would suddenly purge the world in chaos again. The fact that Fluttershy was the one to finally change him proves she's definitely the best pony.

I'm sad that we may never see evil Discord again, I don't know if he'll be as much fun as a goody-two shoes. Oh well, nothing a few flashback episodes can't fix.

This is how I rank the episodes, from my favorite at the top to my least favorite at the bottom:
1) May the Best Pet Win!
2) Read It and Weep
3) Bridle Gossip
4) Swarm of the Century
5) Wonderbolt Academy
6) Friendship is Magic part 2
7) Friendship is Magic part 1
8) Sleepless in Ponyville
9) Too Many Pinkie Pies
10) Feeling Pinkie Keen
11) Sonic Rainboom
12) The Best Night Ever
13) Party of One
14) The Cutie Mark Chronicles
15) Winter Wrap-Up
16) The Mysterious Mare Do Well
17) The Crystal Empire part 2
18) The Crystal Empire part 1
19) Suited for Success
20) Baby Cakes
21) Fall Weather Friends
22) The Ticket Master
23) A Friend in Deed
24) Hurricane Fluttershy
25) Lesson Zero
26) Applebuck Season
27) Dragonshy
28) One Bad Apple
29) Keep Calm and Flutter On
30) Apple Family Reunion
31) Call of the Cutie
32) Look Before You Sleep
33) Putting Your Hoof Down
34) It's About Time
35) A Bird in the Hoof
36) The Super Speedy Cider Squeezy 6000
37) Luna Eclipsed
38) Sisterhooves Social
39) Ponyville Confidential
40) MMMystery on the Friendship Express
41) The Show Stoppers
42) Stare Master
43) Green Isn't Your Color
44) Over a Barrel
45) Griffon the Brush-Off
46) Hearth's Warming Eve
47) The Last Roundup
48) Sweet and Elite
49) A Dog and Pony Show
50) The Cutie Pox
51) Dragon Quest
52) Boast Busters
53) The Return of Harmony: Part 2
54) Hearts and Hooves Day
55) Spike at your Service
56) Secret of My Excess
57) Family Appreciation Day
58) Magic Duel
59) Owl's Well That Ends Well
60) The Return of Harmony part 1
61) Canterlot Wedding part 2
62) Canterlot Wedding part 1

And here's how I rank the songs, again going from best to worst:
1) At the Gala
2) Smile, Smile, Smile
3) Winter Wrap-Up
4) Art of the Dress
5) May the Best Pet Win
6) Raise this Barn
7) Babs Seed
8) Ballad of the Crystal Ponies
9) The Flim-Flam brothers' song
10) CMC theme song
11) Prepared for this
12) Cupcakes
13) The tune from the CMC crusading montage in The Show Stoppers
14) Pinkie's parasprite music
15) Singing Telegram
16) You Gotta Share
17) Giggle at the Ghosties
18) The Pony Pokey
19) The Type of Pony Everypony Should Know
20) So Many Wonders
21) The show's theme song
22) The Fires of Friendship
23) CMC's Hearts and Hooves Day song
24) Hush Now, Quiet Now
25) Evil Enchantress
26) Love is in Bloom
27) BBBFF
28) This Day Aria

-Thoughts on the episode I had been waiting for

OH MAH GAWD, THIS MAY HAVE BEEN A TOTAL FANSERVICE EPISODE, BUT WAS SO WORTH IT. The minute Discord was re-animated and alive again, I was smiling and laughing. I did it alot during this episode, including the occasional 'aww' to Fluttershy's blush, and Discord when he learned he had a friend, and was going to loose a friend. The whole episode went over really, well, and enjoyed every bit of it. The conclusion was a bit rushed like others have said, but all in all was a great episode. And poor Dashie, she got pelted by candles repeatedly.

And also one has to wonder.....What were those beavers saying to cause Fluttershy to say 'Watch your language'? :p

My thoughts of the new episode
It was Great, for a number of reasons. Discord broke the fourth wall, and of course he returned, Deamon beavers,the hilarious dinner party and of course The carrot scene. I did not Like Dashie at all in this episode, she was just Too mean.I actually thought the end was not rushed,Discord just had a sudden realisation, and we all have those don't we? Its probably up there in my top 5, but nothing can beat lesson zero.

I did not Like Dashie at all in this episode, she was just Too mean.

Given Discord mindraped her and her friends, her "meanness" wasn't entirely unwarranted. With a bad first impression like that, who wouldn't be apprehensive in the slightest?

This was a really wonderful episode. I honestly never expected them to go the redemption route with Discord, but I'm very pleasantly surprised that they did, as I felt bad for him at the end of the Return of Harmony two-parter (to an extent, I feel even worse for him now with hindsight, since it transpires that, instead of subjecting him to god-knows-how-many-years of being trapped in stone - during which he was apparently consciously aware of everything - Celestia could have solved the problem all along by just being friendly to him). :p

Did they used to be friends when they were young, never explained.

Discord stated that he never had a friend before Fluttershy, so probably not. I hope that this will be addressed in a future episode, otherwise it comes across as a mere plot contrivance to bring Discord back (not that I'm complaining, mind...).

Last edited:
After digesting the episode for a few days, I like it but I feel future episodes determine if Discord stays as awesome as he is. One thing I hope they do is not pull a grinch and make him all warm and fuzzy but show that his self-interest in keeping Fluttershy on friendly terms is what holds back his chaos. As for Fluttershy we finally get an episode not about her getting more confident but using the skills natural to her and her element to overcome an obstacle. For the first time ever (with the exception of her counter-trolling in the hedge maze) I can say I liked her character and didn't find her bland.

Still not sure how I feel about that.
I mean, Discord was the antithesis, the opposite of friendship and harmony (not to mention a great source for laughs--just ask Pinkie)
What's to happen to him now?

And now the series is to air in Japan (トモダチは魔法 tomodachi wa mahou), dubbed by Bushiroad (Cardfight Vanguard).
Plusgood? Eh...
While they're aware of the potential adult fans (They name-dropped Lady Gaga), from what I'm aware of, cutesy colorful animals (Pikachu!) make better mascots than main characters.
Stuff like this would be for an even younger audience there.

Celestia could have solved the problem all along by just being friendly to him.

My guess that he never made a good impression on the Princesses and other ponies as during his rule he created chaos here, there and everywhere. Including ponies being manipulated and causing major strife. Hell, in my headcanon, Celestia and Luna became Equestria's rulers after saving the ponies from him (that and being able to control the sun and moon with ease gets you major recognition). Anyways, Discord didn't exactly have the makings of a good friend then.

Okay, I officially hate Spike's interaction with the Mane 6. "Hey guy who saved the Crystal Empire we're all headed up for important stuff bet'cha wish you could come." Am I the only one who wouldn't be surprised if Spike joined Chrysalis or Sombra at some point? I know he won't because kid's show but really, Dragons got his own stained glass window what more does he need for some respect?

Okay, I officially hate Spike's interaction with the Mane 6. "Hey guy who saved the Crystal Empire we're all headed up for important stuff bet'cha wish you could come." Am I the only one who wouldn't be surprised if Spike joined Chrysalis or Sombra at some point? I know he won't because kid's show but really, Dragons got his own stained glass window what more does he need for some respect?

I know what you mean. While I do want to wait for the next episode to see if any explanation is given then, it does seem odd that he wasn't invited.

I did like this episode, though. It was fun to see everyone's pets again.

Thoughts on Just For Sidekicks.

This was a great little episode. Very happy to see all the pets again, especially Tank, I was beginning to think he had vanished from the face of Equestria. It was pretty predictable that all the animals would be a nightmare for Spike take on, but it was great fun to see the chaos unfold. Best part of the whole episode were Pinkie and Rainbow's goodbye to their pets.

Wow, they dropped Peewee Phoenix from the show a little unceremoniously. "Dragon Quest" was one of my least favourite episodes, so I can't claim to care too much, but it does make me wonder why they didn't just have Spike reunite him with his family at the end of that episode, instead of setting it up to look like Spike was going to have a pet of his own.

Last edited:
Wow, they dropped Peewee Phoenix from the show a little unceremoniously. "Dragon Quest" was one of my least favourite episodes, so I can't claim to care too much, but it does make me wonder why they didn't just have Spike reunite him with his family at the end of that episode, instead of setting it up to look like Spike was going to have a pet of his own.

Agreed. Disregarding the Just for Sidekicks episode (which I love of the idea including pets) Since they are the pets of the Mane 6 they should be in many more eps. With the exception of Opal and possibly Angel they really need more of the pets in there. Especially Pewee. I'd honestly like to see more Peewee.

They didn't seem to be "disrespecting" him and I think you might be going about it the wrong way. At best, it sounded like playful banter. So yeah, you're the only one and for good reason.

Last edited:
True there hasn't been any FiW-esque abuse but if you pay attention it seems more like callous indifference that can be just as bad. In the past we've seen things like Spike not being at Twilight's birthday and having to "photo-shop" a photo of himself in a group pic. Even in Crystal Empire the only real recognition Spike got was his window, which is from Celestia. Instead everyone sings for Twilight. "Since when does Twilight Sparkle ever fail?" If it weren't for Spike she'd still be at the bottom of Sombra's staircase or in his cage. Little things like this build up over time so in this episode the issue appears twice. Once Spike is clearly bitter that he is left behind, even though he played a huge role in saving the Crystal Empire, and Fluttershy is too busy trying to get him to babysit to comfort him. On the train ride RD even bluntly states Spike would have enjoyed himself. It may not be blatant abuse Spike receives but he is ignored and only remembered when useful, and this episode implies that attitude extends to Cadence.

All I'm saying is Spike is becoming the new Zoidberg, Zoidberg works because everyone in Futurama is a self-centered jerk most of the time but it doesn't really fit in MLP/

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom