• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

My Pokemon game

Misty

I'm the TRASH MAN! I eat GAHBAGE!
Reaction score
This is basically a culmination of everything I'd like to see in Pokemon.

First, graphics. To me, I like sort of a FFTA-style fixed 2.5D setup. Not only is this fairly easy to do and it will look very nice, but the 2D sprites can be used for battles *AND* the overworld. This cuts down on development resources and results in nice graphics and effects.

The plot would be much stronger. A lot of the better ideas from previous Pokemon games would be borrowed(RSE's ideas in particular), with the addition of some tried-and-true JRPG ideas as well as some of my own. More developed characters(especially the villains), more "ally" concepts(like Lance in GSC and Steven in Emerald), and probably a talking main character. The game would NOT end after you beat the Champion - there's an overarching plot. However, it would still take place all in one region.

Music would be orchestrated - the DS can handle this, and I hear it has a very nice sound system, so this will definitely be a plus. Maybe some vocal tracks... but in any case, probably no voice acting. It's still a cartridge medium, so it's probably best not to push it.

Then there's the battle system... As far as aesthetics, I imagine something like Super Mario RPG, with a 2.5D appearance, and attacks would actually be shown to hit the opponent's Pokemon :p The actual system would have some real-time elements, like a dumbed-down ATB. Full ATB would be nice, but the system isn't conducive to balance. Speed would affect this, but speed boosts would not stack(i.e., no 3x Agility for 4x speed), and would probably wear off after time, sort of like Final Fantasy Tactics, where status effects wear off after some number of "ticks".

The touch screen would display a great deal of data, and with real-time, this is actually fairly important. It would also be used to select actions(attacks, items, changing Pokemon, etc). I'm not sure how far to push concepts like dodging - in the end I'd probably just keep that stuff out, as it's the kind of thing that needs stringent testing to balance, and I am a practical person.

The final result would probably be rated E10 or, more likely, T - a more mature game with a lot of new elements, but also a lot of old elements for the old fans.

What's ATB? o.o 2.5 D sounds cool. Other than that, there is nothing here that I haven't heard elsewhere and don't really agree with. Ok, maybe it would be better if pokemon had more substance, but I wouldn't sacrifice its light-hearted innocence for that. For those that read my fanfic back in the day, it would be something like that. This is just how I feel, though. I would not be sure how to increase replayability beyond the measures already taken, and I think something like the Frontier Brains would be enough for you competitive people. I apologize if I offended anyone, this conversation always makes me irritable.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Staff
ATB is kind of hard to explain to people who haven't play the SNES/PS1 FFs. Anyway, you start with a bar which slowly fills. When the bar is full, you can take your turn. After that, the bar resets and begins to fill again, at a preset rate. This creates sort of a real-time effect.

The Isometric style would have to put in a lot of work to beat a 64 bit top down 2d. Top-Down and Horizontal 2D with 64 bits to play with can look farking fantastical... Isometric on the other hand tends to accentuate the blockyness of it's terrain (FFTA reeks of this). Personally, i'd rather they just stick with what's tried and true and make it even more lush looking, more detailed and animated.

And I totally agree that any semblance of an actual plot would make a main Pokemon game 100x better.

• Staff
The problem with the pure 2D look is that it's kind of limited. About the best you'll get is Chrono Trigger-style graphics, which are admittedly quite good, but comparing it to Super Mario RPG, you can see how the expanded movement helps the game.

I think that a main Pokemon game could pull off pretty much any look it wanted, afterall we only gawk at the graphics for the first couple of minutes before being sucked into the brand new world completely.

If they could do Isometic and pull it off beautifully, i'd love it. But i'd still see them sticking with top-down. To be honest, if we were to think of what D/P could be - i'd imagine we're either talking top-down 2d or some sort of 3d affair. I dunno if they'd take into consideration the Isometric approach.

Like I said though, whatever way the graphics were done, if it works then big thumbs up all round.

Personally I'd like to see some Golden Sun styled graphics with a more team based battle system. So it would get to be like a Advance Wars system for that. I think that'd be really cool. ^.^

Please note: The thread is from 19 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom