• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

My Pokemon Rewatch

TheLetherHed

Reaction score
Well, just recently I've had a sudden renewed interest in the Pokemon franchise after purchasing Platinum. I wanted to start watching the anime too (the new episodes) but I thought it might be more fun to watch the series from beginning to end (or at the least the current season). I'm excited to watch how the show evolves over the many seasons, like new characters, new pokemon, the changes visually due to technology, and all the good stuff. :D

Now, when I was a kid I remember watching a lot of the kanto series, maybe only one or two from OI, a Johto ep every now and again, AG once in a while, none from the BF series, and certainly none from the new DP series. So I guess this isn't exactly a rewatch since I haven't seen a lot of these episodes... but I like to of it as going back and watching the eps I missed.

I binged for a few days, stopped, watched some more, and now the binging is returning. Though I'm only at ep. 54 of the indigo league (I'm not sure if that's a lot for just a couple weeks, but I'll try to pick up the pace), I feel like I've come too far to stop now.

Here's some things I noticed and just felt the need to share:
- First of all, ever since Ash took down Koga... I feel like the twerps are just going nowhere. But I have noticed the announcer suddenly reminding us about Blaine at the beginning of the past few episodes, so I hope it's coming up.
- Did anyone else think Togepi's egg was just horribly plugged in. I mean, Ash just suddenly rolls over top of an egg at the end of the prehistoric pokemon ep... and he's in the middle of some canyon. That was just terribly done... but kinda hilarious, I guess.
- The fillers havent been doing so well for me. I mean, the St. Anne arc (boat sinks, getting off the boat, giant pokemon island) was just awesome to me. Easily my favorite fillers. But now I have one about it Princess day... and the VERY NEXT ep was about it being Kid's day. Ugh... and the one where Ash catches Muk was byfar my least favorite ep. I mean there are still some good ones (I enjoyed the Prehistoric Pokemon one, despite the random togepi egg plug at the end) but honestly, I just really want them to get to Cinnabar Island. I'm probably just used to the incredibly fast pacing, what with Ash getting 6 badges in just 32 ep. I think the last one I watched was about Bulbasaur going to evolve but it refused too (much to my dismay...) and then learned Solar Power. Awesome move, Venusaur was cool, but I think I was just dissapointed Bulby didn't evolve. :-/
- I'm starting to become desperate for something from TR that doesn't involve Jesse, James, and Meowth. I need me some Giovanni I guess hehe.

Well, any thoughts on the rewatch? Maybe some hope for future eps... because honestly it's getting bleak right now heh. I promise to stick with it though ;)

Yes yes yes. Phew, it's always nice to find someone who thinks the gap between Koga and Blaine was ridiculous, Bulbasaur should have evolved, and that Kanto wasn't the end-all, be-all in quality. :p Thankfully, it picks up after they get to Cinnabar, although the conclusion to the Pokémon League itself was horribly written, even if it was a great idea.

Hope you have fun catching up to the here and now. It's kind of fun because in retrospect you can pretend it all forms some kind of planned-out mythology. And no, I wouldn't call 54 episodes in a couple weeks slow.

Well I understand that I could probably skip the first nine seasons or w/e and just start with d/p. Heck I could just start with one of the current eps. But I just really have an issue with watching tv shows without watching previous seasons/episodes.

Take House m.d. for example (great show!). I watched one of the current episodes a while back, and I just HAD to watch the whole series from the beginning. I don't like missing certain storylines, like misty's farewell (which i'm not really looking forward to...) and may/dawn's introduction into the series.

I did the same thing with Lost, The Office, and even South Park (now there's a show where a series rewatch is completely unnecessary). There's other tv shows too, but those are just the first ones that popped in my head.

Btw, I'm in the middle of watching ep 54 right now. It's the one about the police academy that trains Growlithe. The man with the gun really surprised me, especially since The Legend of Dratini was never shown because of it. It probably had to do with the gun actually being pointed at the twerps in that episode (yes, i did watch the subbed version.)

I've had a similar experience. I got into the show with DP and wanted to catch up on all I'd missed. I started with the first episode and am now in the 70s of AG. It's fun seeing how things changed overtime, and Lil Brother is correct in that it does feel like some planned-out mythology.

I'm going to start updating this thread whenever I finish a few episodes so I can post my feeling for each one.

I just finished the Growlithe ep. and wow... Ash with a high-pitched voice really just made this episode for me. I was rolling during this episode, especially Brock at the end when starts complimenting himself using the Officer Jenny's voice thru the Megaphone. And wtf was up with Jigglypuff just randomly walking in, singing a little tiny bit, then just walking away. I guess this is might hint at her returning after being absent for so long.

Don't forget to watch the movies, each saga has its own movie.

Watch the Mewtwo movie while Ash is training for the league after the 8th badge.

Don't forget to watch the movies, each saga has its own movie.

Watch the Mewtwo movie while Ash is training for the league after the 8th badge.

Oh I was planning on it, don't worry. ;D

Btw, I was planning on updating again tomorrow, but the last two episodes I just watched were just too amazing.

Pokemon Paparazzi, I'm sure you all know this ep as being the one that introduced Snap, from Pokemon Snap. Having an homage to the game like this was really cool. I mean, I knew he was in the anime, I had just never seen it before now. :D

The Ultimate Test was another great episode as well. I'm not sure whether this would be considered filler since Ash is offered another way into the pokemon league other than gym battles, (I tend to consider anything other than gym battles and rival battles filler anyway) but its still a fantastic ep. Especially since the surprise of Snap joining the group caught me completely off guard. I doubt he stays long but its just too awesome having someone new tag along.

Anyways, tell me if you remember these episodes and what you thought of them. They were a much needed turn around for me. I also could use a second opinion on what's considered filler lol.

Edit: Omg... the next episode seems to be introducing two new TR members, Butch & Cassidy. FINALLY, someone besides JJ&M from TR. It's like the pokemon gods have answered my prayers (well... 10 years ago i guess). I cant believe after 25 episodes of nothing but filler (I dont have a problem with filler, just when there's too much of it in a row lol), all of sudden I get 3 awesome in a row.

Here's hoping for a 4th....

Last edited:
Yay, you're watching season one of Pokemon! =D

Thank you for making this thread, TheLetherHed! ^^

Anyways, tell me if you remember these episodes and what you thought of them. They were a much needed turn around for me. I also could use a second opinion on what's considered filler lol.
Oh yeah! I remember these episodes well! ^_^

I actually have a photographic memory when it comes to episodes of the 4Kids dub. And I believe this comes from the fact that, I watched Pokemon every single time it aired on KidsWB. Hehe. XD

Huge fan of the 4Kids dub here. ;-)

Anyway, here are my thoughts on some of the episodes you've seen so far.

First of all, I aboslutely loved the first episode of Pokemon. "Pokemon I Choose You" is, in my opinion, one of the best episodes ever. I love how the Pokemon anime started out with an amazing episode, right from the start! The ending is so great, with Ash being so brave and letting the flock of Spearow attack him, so he can save Pikachu. And the music made that scene even more awesome! <3333

Let's see, I also like the 3 episodes where Ash gets Bulbasaur, Charmander, and Squirtle. Those are some of my favorite episodes from season 1, because I really like how Ash got all three starter Pokemon.

Hmm, what else...

"Bulbasaur's Mysterious Garden" - Oh yes, I loved that episode too! I agree it was a bit of a letdown, that Bulbasaur chose not to evolve. But hey, this just proves that in the anime, a Pokemon doesn't have to evolve to reach its full potential. Even unevolved Pokemon can still be strong. Personally, I've always liked that message. ^^

And of course, I liked the part in that episode, when Pikachu came and woke Ash up in the middle of the night, hehe. That was funny! XD

"The Case of the K9 Caper" - Ooh, I love this episode too! Very good episode overall. This whole episode was hilarious! I like how Ash and Pikachu did the Growlithe training, hehe. That was pretty funny!! XD And of course, the best part was when Team Rocket appeared and changed everyones' voices. :lol:

Anyway, those are all my comments for now. I've gotta say, you're very lucky to have missed most of the old episodes! The reason I say that, is because I've seen every episode of season 1 through 8. But now, I'm wishing that I had missed a few episodes (so that they would be brand new to me nowadays). XD

The 4Kids dub of Pokemon is so nostalgic! I remember how much fun and excitement I had watching Pokemon every afternoon when I came home from school! And of course, waking up every Saturday morning to watch the new episodes was absolutely amazing!! :-D

Man, I sure miss those days... <3333

I mean, I still watch the new episodes of Pokemon today. But, for me, the show's just not the same as it used to be. =/ And if you wanna know why I feel that way, you can send me a PM or visitor message.

By the way, on the subject of watching filler episodes, those don't bother me at all. Personally, I have no problem with watching episodes that serve no important purpose in the anime, but are just there to "fill" up the season. I actually enjoy watching every single episode of season 1 (well, season 1 through 8, technically). I enjoy each episode a lot!! I know this might be hard for some people to believe, but to be honest, there is nothing about the 4Kids dub of Pokemon that I don't like. Yes, I love the show that much! And no matter which episode I'm watching, Pokemon always makes me happy! :ksmile:

I really can't describe how fun and exciting watching season 1 (or any of the old seasons) is, because it's just that awesome!! :crush:

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 15 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom