• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

My retired gym team

Lacquer Head

In the flesh
Reaction score
In my old clan, before becoming an Elite 4 member (that team still being my best), I was the steel type gym leader...and I have to say, I did pretty well. Had a pretty good win/loss ratio. I had a fairly unorthodox style with all my teams, usually my favorite thing is to do something unique and different...and make it work. It backfires on occasion, but it's still pretty fun. Let's get started!

Forretress (M) @ Custap Berry
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 128 HP / 128 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Toxic Spikes
- Gyro Ball
- Explosion
- Stealth Rock

One thing different about this team is that I usually pick anti-leads to prevent any kind of set up the opponent may have in mind. But with a steel team, spikes, stealth rock and poison spikes are pretty negligible, so I this set...which is actually pretty run of the mill for Forretress. A little setting up, absorb some bullshit, if I get hit with a fire move, bam, custap explosion. Once he gets his rocks and stuff up, he becomes a pokemon shield, more or less.

Scizor (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Bullet Punch
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Bug Bite

A lot of people crap their pants over this set, the general consensus for a Scizor is choice band + bullet punch, but I tried this out to great affect. Scizor might be horrible against fire, which is pretty common...but he has no other weakness. I added 252 to HP to bulk him out a bit since speed is kinda pointless on a Scizor. I will admit, I never did any of the math to see if more HP was any better than defense investment...but I doubt the difference is huge. Pretty straight forward attacker, Roost and Swords Dance actually work better than you might expect, especially with leftovers thrown in.

Metagross @ Leftovers
Trait: Clear Body
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def
- Bullet Punch
- Meteor Mash
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake

Veeeery straight forward tank. Super high defensive, two weaknesses, great types, great attacks. GREEEAT dragon killer. Ice Punch followed by a bullet punch can turn most dragons into dust, even multiscale dragonite, unless it has about 3 DDs in, Metagross SHOULD absorb an Earthquake.

Heatran (M) @ Air Balloon
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 128 HP / 252 SAtk / 128 SDef
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Earth Power
- Lava Plume
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Substitute

Another tank, this time with a special attack specialty. Heatran is pillar of this team, fire attacks are hell for a steel team, but Heatran turns that completely around. Air Balloon also helps with the pesky ground types. Some people find Substitute silly on a Heatran, but it works when you switch in on a fire type or something that is forced to switch. Set up a sub and you're fairly protected. Though a substitute getting hit breaks the balloon, not all no ground attacks will break the sub, so two free turns is pretty common if you read your opponent correctly. Sometimes I will switch Substitute for Roar for silly baton passers.

Registeel @ Leftovers
Trait: Clear Body
EVs: 252 Def / 252 SDef
- Thunder Wave
- Seismic Toss
- Iron Head
- Counter

SUUUUUUUUUCH an underrated pokemon. 399 in both defense slots. Complete wall. Take an EQ/Close Combat? 55% damage...then the ole counter. Paralysis is the most crippling status effect in my opinion, paralyze a fast pokemon and it's days are numbered. Seismic toss works for a decent set damage attack and Iron Head is just an alternative in case of ghosts or what have you. A nice 30% chance of flinching + 25% chance of full paralysis isn't too shabby either.

Empoleon (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Torrent
EVs: 12 HP / 244 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Ice Beam
- Scald
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Grass Knot

This set...even I'm skeptical of it...but it actually works. Choice Scarf has surprised sooooo many people. Pretty much my other Fire/Dragon/Ground killer...though he can't stand up to the pressure for long. Just a whole lot of unexpected goodness.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom