• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

My Sculpture + Sketch fanart...

charlycicero

Reaction score
Hey everybody, I didn't know where to share some of my art, so I started this thread. It's just some sculptures of Pokemon I made for fun. Sorry in advance about the image quality, I am a crappy photographer. I hope you like them. I might be posting more if I get the urge to sculpt again (I hope I do since I'd like to assemble photos of some of my main game teams, in sculptures, maybe even in dioramas).

I will also probably post some sketches I've made, which I intend to redo digitally sometime.

My technique is based on a regional artform called alebrijes. It is basically a wire "skeleton", on which I model the figurine with professional modeling clay, and on top of this I place plenty of layers of kraft paper (hardened with a glue made of cooked flour with water), and since it retains the properties of the paper after it dries and hardens, I use common acrylic paint on top. And sometimes a coat of matte lacquer.

I really need to learn more sculpture techniques, especially for the more fine details (hair, faces, hands, paws, etc) and for smaller sculptures.

Last edited:
There we go. First we have a shiny Mega Charizard Y I made for a friend's birthday (as his present) since he told me Charizard is his favorite Pokemon. The colors are kind of funky but I have an excuse since he lives in a different city and I was about to visit him, but I started the sculpture too late and didn't have time to make the mix of colors that resembled more the official art so I used the paints I had as they were. Anyways, here it is...

20200125_172816-1.jpg

Attachments

• 20200125_172820-1.jpg
    20200125_172820-1.jpg
    539.6 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Here are two more, Scizor and Alolan Raichu. Interestingly enough, when I finished painting the Raichu and compared it to the artwork, I realized I inadvertedely made a shiny one (the cropped hands are from a Venom, which I bought, I didn't sculpt it)...
20200329_143350-1.jpg

Here we have Mega Mawile, a Clefairy with weird hands, a Houndoom and a Charmander. I'm particularly proud of the Mawile, although it's the last one I made months ago and I didn't even finish its "horns", they're just attached by wire. I will finish the cutie someday soon.
20200329_143439-1.jpg

Finally, at least for now, we have Gengar, Glaceon and Leafeon. The Gengar I based it more on earlier artwork where it had a smaller face than the 3D model, and it is a bit damaged because I dropped it some time ago. Fortunately, the sculpture was strong enough not to break completely or deform noticeably.

20200329_143448-1.jpg

Oh wow, these are incredible! The charizard and scizor in particular are super impressive. (I'd be fascinated to see WIP shots if you have any; your method of creating these sounds really interesting, but googling "alebrijes" is just giving me stuff about the history of the art form rather than any information about the techniques used.)

Oh wow, these are incredible! The charizard and scizor in particular are super impressive. (I'd be fascinated to see WIP shots if you have any; your method of creating these sounds really interesting, but googling "alebrijes" is just giving me stuff about the history of the art form rather than any information about the techniques used.)

Thanks for the commment., I really appreciate it! Both the Charizard and Scizor were kind of a pain to sculpt, but I do like the end result. I did that Scizor a few months back and I'm still debating with myself whether to coat it with shiny lacquer (to create the metallic look), but I kind of like it as it is.

I did have some WIP shots of the Charizard (and on a Dragonair, which I haven't posted yet, but will soon). Unfortunately as of now, the cell phone I had them in died (battery no longer charges for some reason). If I recover those photos, I'll make sure to post them.

Note: I think the alebrijes are not too popular to have a lot of info on the Web, apparently, but they are all made about the same way. Some use balloons for the bodies and heads when the final sculpt allows it. I don't do that because most Pokemon I like aren't round, but more animal-like.

Hey Pokefans, I'll also be posting some sketches I have of Pokegirls along with their signature Pokemon (and some random crap written all over them... don't mind that please). I mean to digitally colour them sometime, and I realize some things are a bit off (most don't even have feet, some Pokemon are way too small, too large or in a weird position; and I can't for the life of me draw hands, so they all look weird) so I plan to improve those things digitally as well.

I like to draw my girls in a more realistic style (but still anime-ish), rather than the more cartoony style of the official art.

And I plan to do more Pokegirls eventually, such as Prof Juniper, Sonia, the girl admins from Team Aqua and Magma (forgot their names), Plumeria, Melony, Bea and maybe some random girl trainers (like the Furisode girls, they're very cute).

I hope you like them.

P.S. again, sorry for the crappy photos, I still don't have a functioning scanner.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom