• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

My slightly-Pokemon-obsessed child has gone crazy...

TapLover

Reaction score
In previous times, he was only allowed to watch the show (the SM anime, at least) at GM's house cause if he does here we'll tell him to turn it off. Now it's gone wilder as he's borrowed a few random Pokemon DVDs he won't watch from the library, PLUS the 8th volume of the XY manga for some really strange reason and now my mum's digged out the old Nintendo 64 and he's now playing Pokemon Snap quite oftenly (he'll finish it, it's easy AF cause it focus on "A" button spam). Is this a good way to introduce him to the franchise or not? And I've seen Oliver playing Charmander (as in Snap) yesterday.

Snap is a VERY easy game, so it makes sense (despite being 20 years old and a nostalgic fan-favourite). Also, don't tell him about Black Jynx (although that could be a good YT video topic, focusing on Holiday Hi-Jynx, the "Politically-Inorrect Pokemon" article about the writer's Pokemon-obessed child and her afterthoughts on Jynx's design (after viewing Holiday Hi-Jynx) and then some)

Why aren't you allowing your kid to watch pokemon at home? Why's it strange they're interested in the manga? This doesn't really sound like a kid being crazy. Just sounds like a kid finding something they're interested in.

I've got a *lot* of pokemon things. At least 30 plushies are sitting on my bed right now. I have a pile of figures nearby. And those are just the new ones. I have a ton of gen 1 figures under my bed in a bag. I have quite a few of the pokemon megablock figures on my desk. I still have a baseball cap with pokemon on it from when I was a child, and the cute pokemon nightgown I had as a kid (thinking about finding a way to turn it into a pillow case or something). I bought some pokemon socks near the start of the month. As a kid my mother completely pokemon'd my brother and I's bedroom. Poster. Clock. Sheets, pillows, blankets. I have all my pokemon cards from my childhood. If I could I would totally buy all the DvDs to watch. I have at least one game from every main generation. I have Pokemon Snap, Pokemon Stadium, Hey you Pikachu, Pokemon Colosseum, Pokmeon Channel, Pokemon Pinball, and pokemon rumble blast off the top of my head. My girlfriend and I used to roleplay pokemon and have our own little universe with characters and things. Your kid's nowhere near going crazy yet lol.

You kid's fine and they're just getting into something that caught their interest. It sounds like they've already introduced themselves to pokemon. If you're talking about the main games, I'd probably suggest one of the Sun/Moon/Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon games. A lot of people complain about it being hand-holdy and tutorial heavy (I was fine with it personally) so I'd think that'd help a young kid just getting into playing a 'regular' pokemon game instead of just pokemon snap. As long as they have decent reading comprehension anyway.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom