• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

My Starter Pokemon Tier List

yudgefudge

KAMALA KHAN, QUEEN OF THE MCU
Reaction score
Hello! I made up a starter Pokemon tier list and I'd like to see yours!

As you can see, there are seven tiers. Ranking is based on personal preference.
Make your own tier list at tiermaker.com!
What do you think?

Last edited:
What's the ranking based on?

I can't sign up with Tiermaker because I don't have a Twitter account so I'm going to make a tier on here. It's based on personal preference which in my case is all about design and not stats.

SS - Sceptile, Delphox, Greninja
S - Meganium, Blaziken, Serperior, Decidueye
A - none
B- Venusaur, Charizard, Feraligatr, Torterra, Infernape, Empoleon, Emboar
C - none
D - Blastoise, Typhlosion, Swampert
E - none
F- Samurott, Chesnaught, Incineror, Primarina

Explanation:
SS - Exactly my type of design and one of my top 20 favourite Pokemon (and in the case of Delphox top 5)
S - Like them a lot but not as much as SS and are not among my top 20 favorite Pokemon
B - Like them but not super excited about them.
D - There are things that I like and dislike about them and in the case of Blastoise I simple don't care for it.
F - Chesnaught is extremely boring looking and the rest I dislike.

Trends I notice:
  • The SS tier has one of each type.
  • Grass starters, which are my favourite type of the three, are mostly concentrated in the top tiers.

Last edited:
Anyone else want to add explanations to their tier?

S: Swampert, Samurott, Torterra (all three have cool yet not over-the-top designs)
A: Serperior (has a poor movepool), Primarina (a bit overdesigned), Typhlosion (its special movepool is sadly shallow), Greninja (a bit overexposed)
B: Empoleon (wish it had a better special movepool), Decidueye (it looks rather ragged), Feraligatr, Sceptile (again, its special movepool isn't good)
C: Charizard (I like its Megas much better), Venusaur (has a poor attacking movepool), Blastoise (can't hit hard in its base form), Chesnaught
D: Meganium (boring), Infernape, Emboar (both look overdesigned)
F: Delphox, Blaziken. Incineroar (they just look ugly)

Last edited:
S: Sceptile, Samurott, Empoleon, Torterra, Serperior, Decideye, Greninja

A: Meganium, Typlosion, Feraligatr, Swampert, Chesnaught, Charizard, Blastoise

B: Primarina, Blazekin, Infernape, Emboar

C: Venusaur, Delphox

D: Incineroar

S - I think all of these Pokémon have fantastic designs. They’re just so cool looking. One of them, Sceptile, is in my top ten favorite Pokémon. This tier has no Fire types, which is unsurprising since I rank the Fire type as the worst member of the trio except for gens 1, 2, and (currently) 8.

A - These Pokémon have great designs but they aren’t as good as the ones above.

B - These Pokémon have good designs, but they aren’t stellar.

C - These Pokémon I’m neutral on. They’re not terrible, but they’re not good either design wise.

D - I just don’t like Incineroar... its proportions are off and it just has an ugly design overall in my opinion.

Edit: Bumped Greninja up a tier

Last edited:
Me: Sees charizard in D Tier Smiles
Me: sees serperior in C Tier Still smiling, but a tear falls from my eye

Me: I'm glad Delphox is not in everyone's bottom tier....and someone actually has it in his top one.

Last edited:
based on my favorites
top SS -
Delphox first
Incineroar second
Serperior third
Primarina fourth
Greninja fifth
Decidueye 6th

EEE3IhcUYAAIImt

I love listing things by preference! (Counting Eevee and Pikachu because, technically, they're starters too) Though the list is usually subject to change. I could end up liking a starter more after using one in a Nuzlocke or something.

S- Delphox, Incineroar
A- Eevee, Sceptile, Infernape, Chesnaught
B- Venusaur, Meganium, Typhlosion, Decidueye, Primarina
C- Charizard, Feraligatr, Blaziken, Emboar
D- Torterra
E- Blastoise, Swampert, Serperior
F- Pikachu, Empoleon, Samurott, Greninja
Limbo: The Galar Starters. Until I know their full lines, I can't comment on them properly.

Feel free to ask why someone's somewhere. I like explaining myself. :p Even if the reason is simple and or dumb.

My Tier list (i'm too much of a skrub to get a tier list making account thing)

Perfection- Swampert
Literally Everything Else
Spawn of the Dome, DO NOT TRUST-
Eevee
UhHhHhH- Galar Starters
Bad- The Favorite Starter of everyone who doubted Swampert goes here.

I might make a more elaborate tier list but I'm writing this on my Phone.

With the official reveal of the Galar starters' final evolutions, I'd like to update my tier list.

S: Sceptile, Swampert, Torterra, Empoleon, Serperior, Samurott, Chesnaught, Greninja, Decideye

A: Charizard, Blastoise, Meganium, Typlosion, Feraligatr

B: Blazekin, Infernape, Emboar, Cinderace

C: Venusaur, Delphox, Primarina

D: Rillaboom, Inteleon

F: Incineroar

S - I think all of these Pokémon have fantastic designs. They’re just so cool looking. One of them, Sceptile, is in my top ten favorite Pokémon. This tier has no Fire types, which is unsurprising since I rank the Fire type as the worst member of the trio except for gens 1, 2, and 8.

A - These Pokémon have great designs but they aren’t as good as the ones above.

B - These Pokémon have good designs, but they aren’t stellar.

C - These Pokémon I’m neutral on. They’re not terrible, but they’re not good either design wise in my opinion.

D - These Pokémon are in between outright dislike and neutral. They're like a C- but I didn't want to include only one minus grade so I just bumped them down to a D.

F - I just don't like Incineroar... its proportions are off and it just has an ugly design overall in my opinion.
Favorite
  • Starter overall: Sceptile
  • Grass starter: Sceptile
  • Fire starter: Typlosion
  • Water starter: Samurott
  • Trios: Gen 3, 4, and 5
Least favorite
  • Starter overall: Incineroar
  • Grass starter: Rillaboom
  • Fire starter: Incineroar
  • Water starter: Inteleon
  • Trio: Gen 8

S: Sceptile, Decidueye, Cinderace
A: Typhlosion, Feraligatr, Empoleon, Inteleon
B: Venusaur, Blastoise, Swampert, Blaziken, Infernape, Greninja, Chesnaught. Incineroar, Primarina, Rillaboom
C: Charizard, Meganium, Emboar, Delphox
D: Serperior, Samurott, Torterra

S and A tier Pokemon are my favorites among starters. I used most of them and they've all been great Pokemon to me. Decidueye is absolutely amazing in terms of design and it was a strong asset for my team in Ultra Moon. Cinderace is just very cool and so cute at the same time, and Sceptile is just awesome period. B tier is Pokemon I don't have any strong positive or negative opinions about. They're alright to me. C tier I'm just kinda ehhh about, especially when it comes to Charizard because its starting to get shoved down our throats too much, making me dislike it more. D tier...Yeah I just don't like them much. Serperior isn't that great of a Pokemon, I hate how Samurott went from a bipedal otter to a quadrupedal sea lion, and I just don't like Torterra.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom