• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Myanmar (aka Burma) seeking nukes too?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicoleta01

Reaction score
BANGKOK - Documents smuggled out of Myanmar by an army defector indicate its military regime is trying to develop nuclear weapons and long-range missiles, and North Korea is probably assisting the program, an expatriate media group said Friday.

The Norway-based Democratic Voice of Burma said the defector had been involved in the nuclear program and smuggled out extensive files and photographs describing experiments with uranium and specialized equipment needed to build a nuclear reactor and develop enrichment capabilities.

But the group concluded in a report that Myanmar is still far from producing a nuclear weapon.

On Thursday, U.S. Sen. Jim Webb announced he was postponing a trip to Myanmar because of new allegations that it was collaborating with North Korea to develop a nuclear program.

Webb, chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Subcommittee on East Asia and Pacific Affairs, referred to documents provided by a Myanmar army defector.

Myanmar's military government has denied similar allegations in the past, but suspicions have mounted recently that the impoverished Southeast Asian nation has embarked on a nuclear program.

Myanmar's junta, which has been condemned worldwide for its human rights abuses, has no hostile neighbors. The military's prime concern is suppressing dissidents at home and battling several small-scaled insurgencies.

Full article here: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37503806/ns/technology_and_science-tech_and_gadgets

So, if this is true, the question I'm seeking is why? Few countries pay any attention to Burma, much less threaten it. So do they plan on nuking their own country where the insurgencies are? o_O I find the whole thing to be plain old odd...

Thwap them upside the head. If they're doing this, give them a good one-two.

Where will they get the experts that will service this? And keeping nuclear weapons aren't cheap you know. :O

I'd rather have Pakistan, the volatile state that it is, keeping nukes, than Myanmar. Myanmar is a powderkeg waiting to blow.

lol, I could just see a Darwin Award being given to a whole country. I say we let them do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom