• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Mystery Dungeon: Black and White

Would you like a 3rd Mystery Dungeon Series?

• Total voters
[quote="Life Alert]While I loved the guild, what I would love in a sequel is total isolation. Anyone remember how in the original Dungeon, at one point, you and your partner became fugitives? I would love it if you and your partner, after a certain sting of events, would have to overcome dungeons and enemies without the help of anyone else. And you'd have no place to call home. You know, not for the entirety of the game, but for a good portion.[/quote]

I think that this would be an excellent scenario; the fugitive part was one of my favorite parts of the original MD. I also think it would be interesting if the organization that you and your partner worked for (Rescue Team, Explorers' Guild, whatever) was actually evil.

I also think it would be interesting if the organization that you and your partner worked for (Rescue Team, Explorers' Guild, whatever) was actually evil.

It would be pretty stupid to make a Guild or organization evil though, considering their job is to save other Pokemon and discover treasure.

But if there was maybe a misunderstanding type thing (Like in Mystery Dungeon Red/Blue) or probably the whole guild getting brain washed, then the idea might be considered more.

Wait, what about some sort of "shadow guild"? That might be an interesting concept.

I'd get it. I love the PMD games, and would most likely get it as soon as it comes out... Although I hope they keep Riolu and Vulpix as starters. The main reason I got Sky was because my two top favorite Pokemon were playable main characters.

After seeing some of the updates they gave to the battle system in BW, I started thinking about certain things that could happen in a BW MD:

Shimama and Zeburaika get Motor Drive and Lightningrod. Lightningrod now increases special attack when hit with electric attacks. If anything ever tries Discharge near one of those things, they're going to be in for it big time. Actually, anything that tries to Discharge in the presence of a Lightningrod pokemon is going to have it pretty rough, having to face something boosted several levels of Special Attack up.

Earthquake Spiral increases attack when you defeat a foe. If you're the one with the ability, it means more and more and MORE momentum as you keep killing things on the same floor. The ability Contrarian/Perversity works similar to this too.

Shell Break, Gear Change, and Butterfly Dance are all new moves that raise speed. Remember how annoying Agility was in monster houses? Remember how some random pokemon on the other side of the room would use Rock Polish and suddenly get within two tiles of beating you down? I'm willing to bet these new moves are going to be somewhere in the game designers' new tactics to kill us in a dungeon. Oh, and it doesn't help that all those pokemon that get Butterfly Dance probably also have Silver Wind too. Be VERY afraid!

Cursed Body can seal a move if the pokemon with the ability is attacked. It's like an automatic Grudge status, and we all know how evil Grudges were in PMD2... especially Sky...

I'm willing to bet Sturdy is going to be just as annoying in PMD as it will be in the main series. Something that you can't possibly one-shot? Better pack some throwing items... On the flip side, using a Sturdy pokemon means that you yourself can't get OHKO'd, by a random critical or whatever...

Death Gambit. It's like the new Endeavor, but it can actually kill you. Wandering a dark corridor bumping into an Agirudaa that uses its preemptive turn to instantly put you into the red zone is a scary thought indeed... and that's only if you met it at FULL health.

More things get Unburden. There's probably nothing that could get nastier than a Drifblim spamming ominous wind twice in one turn, but two moves a turn is two moves a turn...

There are Dream World abilities now. Does that mean pokemon get 3 abilities at max?

I know there's the possibility that mechanics for PMD will get one or two overhauls in the next gen, but some of this stuff is really interesting to think about.

After seeing some of the updates they gave to the battle system in BW, I started thinking about certain things that could happen in a BW MD:

Shimama and Zeburaika get Motor Drive and Lightningrod. Lightningrod now increases special attack when hit with electric attacks. If anything ever tries Discharge near one of those things, they're going to be in for it big time. Actually, anything that tries to Discharge in the presence of a Lightningrod pokemon is going to have it pretty rough, having to face something boosted several levels of Special Attack up.

Earthquake Spiral increases attack when you defeat a foe. If you're the one with the ability, it means more and more and MORE momentum as you keep killing things on the same floor. The ability Contrarian/Perversity works similar to this too.

Shell Break, Gear Change, and Butterfly Dance are all new moves that raise speed. Remember how annoying Agility was in monster houses? Remember how some random pokemon on the other side of the room would use Rock Polish and suddenly get within two tiles of beating you down? I'm willing to bet these new moves are going to be somewhere in the game designers' new tactics to kill us in a dungeon. Oh, and it doesn't help that all those pokemon that get Butterfly Dance probably also have Silver Wind too. Be VERY afraid!

Cursed Body can seal a move if the pokemon with the ability is attacked. It's like an automatic Grudge status, and we all know how evil Grudges were in PMD2... especially Sky...

I'm willing to bet Sturdy is going to be just as annoying in PMD as it will be in the main series. Something that you can't possibly one-shot? Better pack some throwing items... On the flip side, using a Sturdy pokemon means that you yourself can't get OHKO'd, by a random critical or whatever...

Death Gambit. It's like the new Endeavor, but it can actually kill you. Wandering a dark corridor bumping into an Agirudaa that uses its preemptive turn to instantly put you into the red zone is a scary thought indeed... and that's only if you met it at FULL health.

More things get Unburden. There's probably nothing that could get nastier than a Drifblim spamming ominous wind twice in one turn, but two moves a turn is two moves a turn...

There are Dream World abilities now. Does that mean pokemon get 3 abilities at max?

I know there's the possibility that mechanics for PMD will get one or two overhauls in the next gen, but some of this stuff is really interesting to think about.

Awesome analysis!! Now I'm really ready for this.

--"What Is" Jack

I'm actually thinking if they'll pull something similar to the actual B/W, and only have new Pokemon in it main-story. Although, in my mind, a more rational idea, while still keeping the theme, would be to have all the playable Pokemon/sidekicks/plot important/townsfolk/major bosses be all 5th Gen, while all the old Pokemon would fill out the dungeons. Thus, less of a role than the 5th Gen Pokemon, but they'd still be recruitable. Oh, and you'd still have 5th Gen Pokemon in the dungeons so you could recruit them as well.

Hmm...I'll probably do a more expansive post later with some of my ideas/possible plot.

EDIT: Oh, and as a possible idea, we know the Pokemon MD-universe realizes that humans exists, yet we're never given a reason why they're never seen. I think the human/Pokemon divide could play an interesting part in the game...perhaps the MD Universe is an alternate timeline where N's dream came true. :0

But, rather than focusing on the dragons, maybe use the musketeers as the headliners?

Last edited:
Even if the guild isn't the center of Rescue/Exploration/Whatever, I think it could at least be referenced. Rangers 1 and 3 mentioned the Union in Almia.
Perhaps a cameo of Guildmaster Wigglytuff. I loved the big guy in Time/Dark/Sky
EDIT: Oh, and as a possible idea, we know the Pokemon MD-universe realizes that humans exists, yet we're never given a reason why they're never seen. I think the human/Pokemon divide could play an interesting part in the game...perhaps the MD Universe is an alternate timeline where N's dream came true. :0

Holy... That's awesome!!

1. Of course, plot is first and foremost.

2. Honestly, I'd like it if they had some villain(s) that didn't reform by the end of the game.

3. Would it kill them to acknowledge my gender once in a while? Okay I know it's a petty thing to be irked about but you don't have to address me by my name all the time...'she' and 'her work fine too.

4. I actually loved the guild in T/D/S, having other characters to be friends and work with, and yet weren't with you all the time; I wouldn't mind something like that again.

3. Would it kill them to acknowledge my gender once in a while? Okay I know it's a petty thing to be irked about but you don't have to address me by my name all the time...'she' and 'her work fine too.

Yeah, I wondered why the game had us specify gender if it was just going to refer to us (in third person) as "they" and "it". The only difference was our menu outline color? It doesn't seem like it would take a heck of a lot of coding. Although the only problem with that is that I'd like it if they made partners available in both genders. My "female" Munchlax partner is pretty badass, but is technically male by the game's design :-/

By the way, LOVE your username :ksmile:

--"What Is" Jack

Last edited:
The Dream World Abilities could be initiated by an event (like luminous spring? requires item)... your starters could have them by default.

Actually, one thing that I think they should bring back is make each pokémon have unique quotes like in MD Red and MD Blue.

Or at the very least, make the Legendaries get unique quotes.

They should REALLY make this~ If there is a Mystery Dungeon for Generation V, then I'm really hoping to see Minccino, Yooterri or Dokkora as available starters/partners. I'm also hoping that we'll actually be able to CHOOSE the gender of our partners, too. I mean, was ANYONE annoyed when they wanted their partner Torchic to be a male instead of a female, or their Piplup be a female instead of a male? I also find it slightly unfair that only two of your partners can be female in PMD2 (Chikorita and Torchic). =/

Also, each partner should have different lines depending on their species/gender. I honestly think that would add more replay value to the games since each partner you choose will say something different than the other. (I still remember being all excited when my partner Totodile actually said something different in the opening of PMD1 x3)

They should also make something different than rescue teams or exploration teams. I honestly have NO idea what they could use instead of those, but we'll see what they come up with. :p

And with the plot... There has to be a reason for there to be wild Pokemon attacking you in the dungeons, but using the natural disaster or "time is out of whack" excuse again would be repetitive, so I don't really know what reasoning they could use for there being vicious Pokemon in the dungeons. :x

And the final things that should be in MD3, is BETTER GRAPHICS and real time changes. I'm really not a fan of the graphics in the MD series. They should definitely make it look more 3D-ish, especially considering that MD3 will undoubtedly be released on the 3DS. I mean, MD2 being a DS game, had GBA-like graphics. They could've at least made the graphics slightly better with both MD versions being on the DS.

They should also improve the graphics of the Pokemon sprites by making them look lesss... not-like-their-actual-appearance (Uh, I really didn't have a word for it, lmao).
Bulbasaur looked pretty weird in MD with its face, along with pretty much every other Pokemon. Hopefully, they'll make the Pokemon look more accurate if they make a 3rd MD. And with the real time changes, there's not much I can say about why it should be added, but I think it's a necessity with there being real time changes in the mainstream Pokemon games. =/

So yeah... I would like for there to be another sequel to Mystery Dungeon. :p

I wouldn't turn down getting another Mystery Dungeon game. The plot is the main thing that gets me into them and a lot of the story is pretty emotional. If they do make this then the starters will most likely be partner pokemon or the pokemon you turn into. I hope the monkeys (or at least Yanappu) are choices too =)

Yeah, I wondered why the game had us specify gender if it was just going to refer to us (in third person) as "they" and "it".
Actually, that's more dependant of the language you are playing. For instance, English doesn't have adjectives change depending on gender, but in other languages it does address them correctly.
The frequent and somewhat forced dialogue to avoid pronouns though does seem like being lazy.

Also Chunsoft seems to enjoy making countless Mystery Dungeon variations and releasing out or keeping in japan randomly, so despite the WiiWare titles you probably should expect a PMD for Gen. V.

What I'd like though is more... "traveling". Kind of like the fugitives part in the first game, where you were on a long quest to meet Ninetales.

Also given it's most likely going to be for 3DS (or perhaps DS/3DS like Red/Blue?), I'd like 3D graphics instead... and a few minor changes to how some things work.

I just learned about this spin-off series, and I find the mythology behind it facinating. If they do make a Black & White version of this, I hope the expandon the concept of the original story of the bad Pokemon Trainer cursed by Ninetails.

Given Team Plasma's obsession of freeing Pokemon from their Trainers (Yes, I read the spoilers, because I don't have the cash to get the games myself), it would be interesting if the Pokemon had stories about sucessfully being freed from genuinely bad trainers by Team Plasma. Or not, since there's no real human element in the game outside of the player being once human.

maybey it would befun if you could take up assasin missons ( obivously called something else) where you had to defeat a certain monster.
i hope they do it like md 1 (one one ds and one on gameboy) but instead of having it on gameboy it would be on ds so you had one for ds and 3ds.
my first ever pokemon game was pokemon mystery doungen explores of time. i got the two first ones two.

i love the way yuoul never know what youll be.

got temporil tower to do on md2, gtg bye

The Mystery Dungeon series is one of the most popular spin-off series, and one of the relatively few that have actually expanded beyond the first game, and since then, the series has spanned a sequel, a revamp of that sequel, and three WiiWare editions. The next games in the series would logically feature the new Pokemon from the new Black and White versions.

If these sequels were made, would you purchase them? What kind of improvements would you like to see? Would you like Chunsoft to continue the strong focus on the story, or should the plot take a backseat to the gameplay, which would be revamped in these new installments?
they should relese the WiiWare Games On Wii Or Port It On DS in 1-3 Versions and then relese a 2nd Gen

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom