• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Mystery Dungeon, RB vs TDS

Which games were better?

• Total voters

Piemonade

Man of Many Accelgor
Reaction score
Since Mystery Dungeon Black/White are inevitably going to be released, I've been thinking about the previous Mystery Dungeon games. I always liked the Mystery Dungeon series and it's unique gameplay.

I remember back in 2006 getting Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Red, I was a Machop with my partner Cyndaquil, we would go on adventures, destroying everything in our path. I spent so much time playing this game, that once I got a DS, it was permanently in the GBA slot.

Then, in 2008, I heard that Mystery Dungeon was going to get a sequel, Time and Darkness. I was overjoyed, now that one of my favourite games was going to be better. I also loved the game, going through weird worlds, defeating enemies in your path.

After I had finished both games, I was wondering. Which one was better?

I initially thought Red was better, because I thought it had a more enjoyable storyline, no guild, and the post-game was just epic. I also loved the early evolution, as opposed to TDS where you have to wait to defeat Palkia. I also liked the rival team a lot better. Team Meanies was a lot more devious than the disgusting team Skull. Plus Machop and Cubone were available as starters.

But then I thought, hang on, TDS has more Pokemon, longer storyline and more types of missions, so I didn't know which one I liked more.

So my question is to the people of Bulbagarden.

RB VS TDS

TDS was better by far, absolutely dazzling plot and I jsut liked the characters more.

Of course another thing I hated was the stupid HM mechanic PMD 1, it was even more annoying than in the main games because you could lose HMs and have togo through the dungeon to get it again.

Red and Blue

I loved the storyline, I thought it was much "darker". I mean all your friends turned on you and tried to kill you because they thought you were the source of their problems...the storyline was just better to me.

I love the other one as well for all the reasons listed by the OP, so it was hard to pick

PMD1. It's better when you have a GB Player and a cube troller, it has a better control system, while looking better.

Explorers of Time/Darkness/Sky by several hundred miles. ...if only because I haven't played Red/Blue Rescue Team yet, so I can't really make a fair comparison. 8U But I love the music of EOD/T/S, the dark story, the vast character development of almost all the important characters, especially your partner. Shocking plot twist was also very shocking. o3o

It is a great game, with a compelling plot, wonderful music, and delightful characters. I don't know if Red/Blue can match up, but I look forward to comparing the two games when I get my hands on Blue one day.

I must say that Time and Darkness was the better game for me. Even though it had little things wrong with it, the storyline was absolutely beautiful, and the graphics were far superior IMO. I remember playing time for hours the day I got it.

I find the second set of games, especially Explorers of Sky, to be a better set than the first set. Must be because I play RPGs, but usually for the story and the gameplay, and it fits the first part well. Who would have thought that it could? The music is also pretty... amazing, for lack of a better word. I also find myself being able to actually finish it.

I enjoyed TDS more than R+B...
I liked the new pokes to play as (particually Shinx, Discharge is so broken~), though I missed Cubone...
I liked the guild a lot, and liked everyone in it. The after story was great fun too. Never got around to R+B after story though...defeated Rayquaza, and that was all...maybe I should play it again to play in the after story...
The music hit everywhere, from pure will to win, to tearful melodies, and it was awesome.
But they were both awesome.

TDS is the better game hands down. It has the better story and takes it deeper than its predecessor, going to great lengths to involve the player at a personal level.

... but.

Red Rescue Team changed my life drastically.

While TDS made some powerful points, specially in the often overlooked Darkrai arc, and was a more involving experience... I will never forget my experience with Red Rescue Team.

Though I still liked TDS more.

I'm not a big fan of old games, so Time, Darkness, and Sky by far.

The way Red and Blue played felt more rough to me, with mechanics here and there not fitting in right, or seeming broken. With Time and Darkness, and moreso in Sky, they got to smooth out the edges and make noticeable tweaks in the experience. It gets better as it goes along.

I know nothing about that trio of Wiiware games...

TDS. I really liked how Pokemon other than your partner talked to you like they were your friend, instead of repeating the same line over and over again. I also liked how every Pokemon had a portrait pic. What I didn't like about RB was that after the game ended, it seemed like you and your partner didn't even know each other anymore.

easy. red and blue. here are my reasons

1. the story line was way better.
2. the enemies where much more devious. team meanines where pure evi while team skull... well farted on you
3. the friend area idea was awesome. unlocking a new area feels so epic!!!!!!!!!

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom