• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Speculation Mystery Pokemon Poll

What do you think the mysterious Pokemon on the box art will be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Wishy-Washy

Reaction score
upload_2017-10-15_14-37-3.png
A mysterious Pokemon that seems to look like nothing we have seen before is on the Ultra Sun/Moon box art which means that it probably has some significance to the story, I'm curious what everyone thinks it could be so I created this poll to see what people think the most likely possibility is.

I'm not sure why everyone is so sure this is a pokemon. It looks nothing like a Pokemon, not even alien ones like UBs
but since the official site seems to suggest there is still a third form of Necrozma I think maybe it does have another form even if its not this thing depicted in the box.

On the other hand, if it turns out it has other forms I think that the number of new forms for third legendaries is getting out of hand (Rayquaza 0 new forms, Giratina 1, Kyurem 2, Zygarde 2 as well, Necrozma 3? 4? 5? ugh)

Last edited:
I think it’s pretty obviously a Necrozma form in some way. Rainbow eyes, and it’s in the same shape as the star on Necrozma’s back, so...

Maybe it is Necrozma final forms, especially Necrozma have it's signature move, taking control of Solgaleo/Lunaala with New exclusive Z-Crystal. I think Necrozma have enough special treatment, but If he did have a final form, I hope it have secondary typing.

I think it could be one of the following:
  1. A new plot-relevant Ultra Beast.
  2. Necrozma's pre-evo (giving Necrozma a further parallel with Cosmog evolving into Solgaleo/Lunala)
  3. The boss of the existing Tapu.
  4. A foreshadowing for new formes of Solgaleo and Lunala born from one of them taking part of Necrozma's body as payback for Necrozma taking their body.
  5. A story-only OP Necrozma forme that we aren't meant to use, mostly because having that forme be accessible to the players would render Dusk Mane and Dawn Wings useless and unnecessary cash-grab gimmicks.
I'm thinking #4 would be interesting scenario since having Necrozma's power inadvertently strengthen Solgaleo/Lunala after powering itself up would make the Solgaleo-Lunala-Necrozma the most unique box legendary triad to date and sounds like the kind of twist Game Freak might be up for. However, #2 and #5 are the safest bets despite me thinking #4 might come true as a nice surprise.

Last edited:
I think it could be one of the following:
  1. A new plot-relevant Ultra Beast.
  2. Necrozma's pre-evo (giving Necrozma a further parallel with Cosmog evolving into Solgaleo/Lunala)
  3. The boss of the existing Tapu.
  4. A foreshadowing for new formes of Solgaleo and Lunala born from one of them taking part of Necrozma's body as payback for Necrozma taking their body.
  5. A story-only OP Necrozma forme that we aren't meant to use, mostly because having that forme be accessible to the players would render Dusk Mane and Dawn Wings useless and unnecessary cash-grab gimmicks.
I'm thinking #4 would be interesting scenario since having Necrozma's power inadvertently strengthen Solgaleo/Lunala after powering itself up would make the Solgaleo-Lunala-Necrozma the most unique box legendary triad to date and sounds like the kind of twist Game Freak might be up for. However, #2 and #5 are the safest bets despite me thinking #4 might come true as a nice surprise.
Since the site says Necrozma appears to hold even more power, I doubt the form is a pre evolution. It would most likely be stronger than other Necrozma forms. Also it is featured on the box art and thus I think it is safe to say it is Necrozma and not a new UB. Unless of course GF decides to put 2 pokemon on the box art.

now it doesnt look like a pokemon, we need to wait till game realease, but if necrozma has 2 forms, why a third? maybe its a true form of magearna?

If its it true form without its rock typing maybe psychic/fairy?

This explanation looks rather muddled but I'll try to clarify it further if anyone has doubts.

After rewatching the latest trailer several times, I think I've come up with a more 'concrete' speculation.
In the end of the trailer, Necrozma 'holds' a ball of light with its claws. The animation of holding the ball of light is identical to the animation of when Solgaleo/Lunala merges with Necrozma, just replace the ball of light with Solgaleo/Lunala.

Necrozma manages to 'destroy' the ball of light and it (the light ball) rises in the air, and the trailer ends, with
View attachment 105432
this. While the trailer is ending, the ball of light rises and goes inside, the mystery Pokemon we're discussing.

So my theory is that the mystery Pokemon is an UB made of pure light, which Necrozma tries to 'possess' just like Solgaleo/Lunala, but fails. The ball of light is its dormant state (like Cosmoem to Solgaleo/Lunala) but it 'awakens' to reveal its true form (the Pokemon on the boxart) when Necrozma [fails to] possesses it.

This explanation looks rather muddled but I'll try to clarify it further if anyone has doubts.

After rewatching the latest trailer several times, I think I've come up with a more 'concrete' speculation.
In the end of the trailer, Necrozma 'holds' a ball of light with its claws. The animation of holding the ball of light is identical to the animation of when Solgaleo/Lunala merges with Necrozma, just replace the ball of light with Solgaleo/Lunala.

Necrozma manages to 'destroy' the ball of light and it (the light ball) rises in the air, and the trailer ends, with
View attachment 105432
this. While the trailer is ending, the ball of light rises and goes inside, the mystery Pokemon we're discussing.

So my theory is that the mystery Pokemon is an UB made of pure light, which Necrozma tries to 'possess' just like Solgaleo/Lunala, but fails. The ball of light is its dormant state (like Cosmoem to Solgaleo/Lunala) but it 'awakens' to reveal its true form (the Pokemon on the boxart) when Necrozma [fails to] possesses it.
So, what you are saying is that Necrozma's absorption backfired this new UB (who I shall refer to as UB Boxart for now). That's an intriguing idea. Given that UB Boxart has Necrozma's eyes, is it safe to say that not only did Necrozma fail, but that UB Boxart managed to take something from our black prism parasite as well?

If anything either you or I just said comes true, then this may actually be the first time any Pokémon game has two mascots in the same version (Dusk Mane Necrozma with UB Boxart for Ultra Sun; Dawn Wings Necrozma with UB Boxart for Ultra Moon). That may in fact be the most clever thing Game Freak has ever done. If we're right, then good job Game Freak! *claps*

So, what you are saying is that Necrozma's absorption backfired this new UB (who I shall refer to as UB Boxart for now). That's an intriguing idea. Given that UB Boxart has Necrozma's eyes, is it safe to say that not only did Necrozma fail, but that UB Boxart managed to take something from our black prism parasite as well?

If anything either you or I just said comes true, then this may actually be the first time any Pokémon game has two mascots in the same version (Dusk Mane Necrozma with UB Boxart for Ultra Sun; Dawn Wings Necrozma with UB Boxart for Ultra Moon). That may in fact be the most clever thing Game Freak has ever done. If we're right, then good job Game Freak! *claps*

That's what I meant to say. Thanks for simplifying! I think this is the case since the 'possession' animations for Solgaleo, Lunala, and the ball of light (which will be now referred to as UB Ball) are the same.

Necrozma finds out that the infant UB Ball is a source of light, and tries to absorb it, but UB Ball resists the capture, (possibly absorbing some energy from Necrozma as well) and transforms/evolves into UB Boxart, it’s adult state.
Ultra Recon squad may be searching for/trying to create UB Ball/Boxart becuase they believe it might bring light back to Ultra Megalopolis.
And I think Dusk Mane/Dawn Wings Necrozma might be involved in the birth of UB Ball. At the 0:46 mark of the video below, light radiates from what is possibly Dusk Mane Necrozma, the light balls look basically like tiny versions of UB Ball. The balls also appear at the 0:50 mark, which might be the same scene.

Personally, I think the light Necrozma stole from Ultra Megalopolis, and the Nebby-Necrozma when combined will create UB Ball. Ultra Recon Squad probably want to get their hands on UB Boxart to get their light back, and take revenge on Necrozma at the same time.

If my theory is correct, in this video, UB Ball arrives at the 1:08 mark, with Necrozma trying to absorb it.

So, my vote for this poll is a new Ultra Beast.

That's what I meant to say. Thanks for simplifying! I think this is the case since the 'possession' animations for Solgaleo, Lunala, and the ball of light (which will be now referred to as UB Ball) are the same.

Necrozma finds out that the infant UB Ball is a source of light, and tries to absorb it, but UB Ball resists the capture, (possibly absorbing some energy from Necrozma as well) and transforms/evolves into UB Boxart, it’s adult state.
Ultra Recon squad may be searching for/trying to create UB Ball/Boxart becuase they believe it might bring light back to Ultra Megalopolis.
And I think Dusk Mane/Dawn Wings Necrozma might be involved in the birth of UB Ball. At the 0:46 mark of the video below, light radiates from what is possibly Dusk Mane Necrozma, the light balls look basically like tiny versions of UB Ball. The balls also appear at the 0:50 mark, which might be the same scene.

Personally, I think the light Necrozma stole from Ultra Megalopolis, and the Nebby-Necrozma when combined will create UB Ball. Ultra Recon Squad probably want to get their hands on UB Boxart to get their light back, and take revenge on Necrozma at the same time.

If my theory is correct, in this video, UB Ball arrives at the 1:08 mark, with Necrozma trying to absorb it.

So, my vote for this poll is a new Ultra Beast.

I’m glad that I was able to help you craft a solid and interesting theory. This needs to happen now. I shall promptly change my vote from Solgaleo/Lunala after Necrozma took their body to New Ultra Beast.

what could be better then Prism Armor, rock/psychic?
light? could it get secondary fairy typing instead of rock?
light: electric, fire?

I wouldn't mind a new form of Necrozma that isn't reliant on Solgaleo & Lunala.

Maybe a "true" Necrozma that makes it look more whole. When you look at Necrozma from the rear, it kinda looks like part of it is just...missing.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom