• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Mythical Pokemon Rewriting

TechSkylander1518

Reaction score
Got inspired by a recent discussion in the Legends Arceus section- there's a general feeling that mythicals aren't really making use of any lore in-game, instead just being a direct "Here you go! A mythical Pokemon!" So I wanted to have a thread to discuss ideas for how that could be improved!

What sort of sidequests would you want to follow to get these Pokemon? Should they stay in the games they were introduced in, or do you want to make new connections for them? Maybe there's another region, game plot, character, etc. you think they'd connect better to?

Some rewrites I would personally do -

Manaphy and Phione should have debuted in GSC. The egg and breeding gimmick for them would be a lot more interesting if it happened when those mechanics were actually introduced, instead of two generations after breeding's been a thing.

But the whole Ranger transfer thing is still fun, so why not give that role to Shaymin? Saving a flower Pokemon fits nicely with the rangers' environmentalism, and there's a little more gratitude in "Hey, thanks for this Pokemon!" "Well, thank you for caring for it!" as opposed to just writing a name on a rock.

I also think Magearna would have been way better off debuting in Gen 6, with an event involving Team Flare. This was a Pokemon built by a scientist for royalty, and it collects life energy from other Pokemon- it's practically begging for a connection there. And since "it will try as hard as it can to save injured Pokémon [due to its ability to feel other's pain]", it'd be easy to have something where Team Flare takes Magearna for their own purposes, the player helps it escape, and it joins you because it appreciates your heroism!

Now that we have dlc, we can have more elaborate stories centered around extra pokemon. This would be good going forward, but as for going back and making scenarios for mythicals that don't have one, come to think of it, the original, Mew, is done in an entirely different way. The lore exists as a regular part of the game, but is not available in it. This was a different circumstance, though, and the others were planned as not being known until they release it.

Anyway, yeah, Magearna seems like it was more meant for Kalos, and many have brought up that Volcanion should've had something to do with the inaccessible geothermal plant. The rest, I am not that familiar with, nor can I think of a way to more relate them to places in the game.

• Mew: No changes, since I don't think games have advanced enough to make the Guyana story justice. However, I'd give Mr. Fuji a speech about how he wants to reconnect with an old friend he harmed to show more of their relationship.
  • Celebi: No changes, a visit to old Johto would be cool but it's not necessary.
  • Jirachi: Every July 7th there's a Jirachi festival on Mosdeep that tells you things about it. I'd probably keep it gift-only since it would be a contrived coincidence that the only time in 1000 years it woke up happens on your lifetime.
  • Deoxys: Delta Episode is fine, so no changes.
  • Phione: It takes Manaphy's place as the egg you have to rescue, the reasons below. Transferring the egg gives you the chance to meet Manaphy's kingdom.
  • Manaphy: I'll keep it in Sinnoh as Hoenn already has Kyogre to protect them. It's lore would be about it's the king and queen (wait a little) of many marine Pokemon communities, as well as a symbol of love and good heart. It gets a gender as well as gender differences, so it can breed Phione with another member of the species, making them a royal family.
  • Darkrai: Stays the same, but either it becomes a legendary or Cresselia becomes a mythical.
  • Shaymin: I'd give Gracideas a bigger role in the game, they would be in important places like Celestic, Floaroma and the league and people would highlight their value and their air cleaning powers. Shaymin itself is fine.
  • Arceus: Legends, surprise us.
  • Victini: It would appear only after you'd completed the League rematch as until then you should be worthy of its champion powers. Also, some characters would do the V symbol as a good omen, and it would become the mascot of the region.
  • Keldeo: The event is cute, but it probably is better as a legendary.
  • Meloetta: Relocate it to Kalos or Galar, where it appears in a very very old theatre, and shows up to battle you after you use certain sound or dance-based moves in a certain order. Its lore would be the same as the muses in Greek mythology, creatures that inspired different kinds of art.
  • Genesect: Add an event where it actually wakes up, and you have to team up with Colress and stopping from collecting all the drives which are scattered around the region. I don't know whether that's enough to make it a mythical instead of a legendary, though.
  • Diancie: Inspired by this video, add an event where Team Flare rebels do illegal mining (arguing that they are pretty things that should be preserved), and when you stop them Diancie bonds with you. Also, add some references to how Kalos' gemstones are of great quality, which helped on the creation of Megastones.
  • Hoopa: Not a new quest, but a modification of the Legendaries quest from ORAS. A mysterious character (ideas about their identity are welcomed) helps you on that quest, and after you complete them, they give you the Prison Bottle, and help you locate Hoopa, when you do it, it transforms into its Unbound Form and a very hard boss battle ensues. On Alola, some dialogue commenting on the differences between Ultra Wormholes and Hoopa's portals is added.
  • Volcanion: No ideas lol. If I get something I'll edit the post, but in the meantime it'd probably better if it was a minor legendary.
  • Magearna: It would be better in Kalos, It would be a gift in a castle where they explain their story of being both a maid and a dangerous weapon.
  • Marshadow: As it's vaguely hinted on its Z-move, it would be the master of Z-moves and the first user of them. Their lore would be that they are the protectors of Alola, and fight in groups like an army. After obtaining all Z-crystals, you could find one in a field at night, and it's battle would consist on it spamming the SOS mechanic 9 times to call another Marshadow and all 10 Marshadow being Z-move capable.
  • Zeraora aka Zero Lore: As they have given us nothing to work with, I'll make it a malicious and short-tempered Pokemon that likes to cause thunderstorms in Alola, and Marshadow's main rival. Also, I'd give it its own flying cloud like Goku's. It's even could be about finding out that it's the responsible behind Po Town's rain.
  • Meltan/Melmetal: I feel the Mythical here would be the Gigantamax form, being described as an ancient titan made of weird metals. Meltan would be "a piece belonging to the titan" and Melmetal would be "a very unpolished version of the titan".
  • Zarude: I'd make Dyna Tree into a whole forest, and Zarude would live there as its protector. Also, its battles with the Bird trio is what caused them to become that way (probably doesn't make sense typing-wise, but it's better than what we have now). Its event just replaces the Greedent one.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom