• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Name 5 Things You Like About Your Least Favorite Gen

BettyN

Reaction score
The best of the worst, essentially. Can you think of 5 positive things to say about your least favorite Generation?

I'll start:

1. More convenient Box System. Having to constantly save and switch Boxes in Gens 1 and 2 was tedious, and Mew forbid you try to lob a Ball at that Legendary Dog or Shiny Dratini while the Box was full. Glad RSE fixed this.

2. Gender and Shininess no longer based on stats. I like using Female Pokémon, and I also like using Shinies. What I didn't like was how GSC saddled both with sub-par DVs. Also glad RSE fixed this.

3. Some cool Pokémon. After the general mediocrity of Gen 2's starters, Sceptile, Blaziken, and Swampert were all nice upgrades, both design-wise and battle-wise. Milotic, Gardevoir, and the Lati Twins have beautiful designs and neat concepts, and Metagross is just a cool, unique Pokémon (especially by Pseudo-Legendary standards). Tropius and Absol are also pretty neat Pokémon, even if they aren't the best in battle. In general, I like how RSE tried to give a little more diversity to types like Dark and Steel, as well as introduce new combos like Fighting/Psychic.

4. Wally. He was a very adorable little kid and had the potential to be one of the games' strongest, most inspirational characters. I loved the idea of this weak, sickly boy clawing his way up to become one of the strongest trainers, all through the love of his Pokémon. He should've been the sole Rival, if not also the Champion.

5. Wallace. I didn't mind Wallace. He's a pretty guy, and I love his romantic, over-the-top personality. Also, we both love Water Types (especially Milotic), which is always a bonus. If Wally couldn't be the Champion for some reason, then I'm fine with Wallace in the position.​

That would be 5th gen. IDK if I can name 5 things, but here goes:

1. The story. BW1 is hands down the best story ever written in the series, it plays out completely differently from the average Pokemon plot, intertwines with the main badge quest, and has villains with more realistic motives. It's just so fresh, exciting and solid.

2. Sequels. Probably the most innovative thing to ever happen in this entire series, it breathed completely new life into Unova by adding new areas, new Pokemon to the dex, and a new storyline. Definitely raised the bar for future games.

3. A few of the Pokemon. Serperior, Zebstrika, Zoroark, Reuniclus, Galvantula, Haxorus, and Keldeo are good. And Zekrom and Black Kyurem of course.

4. Habitat List. Really useful tool for dex completion.

5. The music. One of the best soundtracks in the series.

Last edited:
For me, Gen 2:
1. Red- While he isn't as cool to me as everyone else says he is, and not even that great of a boss, Red really is a neat addition to the game, a good extra boss for the post-game.
2. The legendaries- Ho-oh and Lugia are awesome Pokémon, they have awesome designs and a nice "sea and sky" theme going on, and one thing HG/SS really improved was (kind-of) integrating them into the story. The other legendaries aren't half bad either (I really like Raikou and Suicune), Gen 2 is the only generation with no legendaries I dislike.
3. Innovation- G/S/C really improved upon the original games by patching up the glitches and graphics, and introducing new features like breeding, the day-and-night-cycle, and shinies.
4. Dark and Steel Types- This one technically falls under "Innovation," but just imagine what Pokémon would be like without Dark-and-Steel-types. Psychic-types and Ghost-types would be over-powered, while there would have been nothing to resist Dragon-type attacks until Fairy-types would be later introduced. Iconic (well, kinda) Pokémon like Umbreon, Absol, Metagross, Jirachi, Lucario, Dialga, Zoroark, Hydreigon, Aeigislash, and Yveltal, and many more, either wouldn't exist or be vastly different.
5. Expanding the Pokedex- Without Gen 2, the franchise would have never gotten past the original 151.

Five good things about Gen IV:

1. In Platinum's case, clever AI. I could get into some tough tangles with random trainers on the road, and Barry astounded me by using his Rapidash to power up my Flash Fire Houndoom by way of Fire Blast. I never saw ingenuity like that outside of battle facilities.

2. Battle music. I think Gen IV has some of the best battle music in the core series, between Cynthia, Giritina (Pt), Cyrus, and Palkia/Dialga. I sometimes play Platinum just to listen to Giritina's theme again.

3. Good villain story. I'd put it on par with Team Flare, and second to Plasma.

4. New evolved forms. While it did churn out some ugly monstrosities like Lickylicky or Tangrowth, it did come up with some nice ones. Weavile was my favorite, being the ultimate glass cannon and all.

5. Giritina. While its Altered Forme looks kind of off-putting, its Origin Forme, signature move (Shadow Force! So cool!), personal reverse dimension, and battle theme from Platinum makes it one of the most memorable box legends of all time... to me, at least.

While it is true I am not the biggest fan of Generation II, there are plenty of things I found good!

1. The music! I LOVE the music in this generation! I love the remixes to the Kanto themes, and the music of Johto's cities are very memorable! My favorite themes in the whole game are the Lake of Rage theme and the music to route 26 and 27.

2. The fact that it is a sequel generation. I read somewhere that these games were originally going to be called Pocket Monsters 2 to tie them in with the storyline of Generation I. There are a few things I wish they could have answered in these games, but I guess the ambiguity leaves us open to our imaginations.

3. I like the fact that the champion is Lance. He may be my favorite champion to date. Iris is a very close second, but Lance comes in first because I just find him more intriguing.

4. As much as I complain about the pacing, I like the Johto region a lot. The towns didn't have wild and crazy names like they do today, and I can actually recall them by heart.

5. The innovation to the Pokemon games. Massive credit where credit is due, this generation introduced a lot of things that made playing these games more personal and fun.

5 Things I Like About My Least Favorite Gen, which is IV

For me least favorite Generation was the Gen IV so here's the list:

1. Most Legendary Pokémon are one of most awesome designed ones compared to the Hoenn, Johto and even Kanto Legendaries (apart from Mewtwo and Articuno, which is just a giant blue Ice bird but whatever) the Pokémon im talking about are Giratina (the form first included in Platinum), Dialga, Palkia and Arceus, while Arceus looks rather weird compared to the other Pokémon found in the Sinnoh region it still has a I don't know like ''look at this ultra rare Pokémon you can get through hacking or an event'' feel.

2. The calculator app, this was quite better than having a physical calculator since well it is a RPG game and in this games there's a lot of mathematical things like the stats and the critical hit ratio.

3. The amount of Pokémon it had/has, the numbers of Pokémon found in these games was pretty larger (it still lacked most of the Hoenn region Pokémon) than most places in the Pokémon games.

4. All three Starter Pokémon are good choices, while I have Empoleon as my first Pokémon in Platinum, the other three choices (Chimchar & Turtwig I think) are not close to being mediocre and which one the player chooses could only be of possibly two thing Type preference or uniquely prefer one these three starters for something else entirely, like choosing Piplup because the player likes penguins etc.

5. A better story than the last Generation's, yes this includes Team Aqua's plan to flood the world, Team Magma's plan to expand the landmass of the planet, Team Rocket's criminal activities in FireRed/LeafGreen, Cipher's (I believe they where called that) plan to ''close shut the hearts'' of Pokémon creating the Shadow Pokémon from Colosseum and XD and Rayquaza stopping the battle between Groudon and Kyogre.

I guess my least favorite generation would be 4, but by which I don't mean 4 in general (given how much I enjoyed HGSS) but the Sinnoh games specifically:

1 - The whole Shinx family. It's about time the games introduced some kind of lion Pokemon, and the fact that you could catch them pretty early was a big plus for the cute little guy.

2 - The Riolu family. I had nothing good to say about the design of Fighting types prior to Gen IV; Riolu was finally a Fighting-type Pokemon I actually liked the aesthetics and design of. Some people think Lucario is overhyped, but if you like it, you like it, and I do.

3 - The Distortion World felt genuinely creepy. The lack of any wild Pokemon encounters helped to reinforce this.

4 - Poketch apps. Not that I used many of them regularly, but checking the friendliness of your Pokemon in real time was unheard of, and the breeding app let you check in on your Daycare in real time. I also often left the Berry app up just for its map of the Sinnoh region.

5 - Segments where you have an NPC tag along with you and they assumed responsibility for healing your team after battles. Made their respective dungeons less of a grind.

Um, I guess my least favorite Gen is the 1st one...

1. Actually has poison types: later gens, VI in particular, do not introduce many poison types. While I am not a fan of that many poison types, I like the type itself for some reason, so the lack of poisons in recent gens is somewhat lame to me. For fucks sake, gen VI introduced more dragons than poisons. Maybe if there were more poisons I'd love more than just two or three bloody lines...

2. Omastar, Jigglypuff, Golbat, Electrode, Snorlax, etc: I don't like very many generation I Pokemon, but there are some I like a lot, such as those I just named.

3. Doesn't go overboard on legends: It nearly has the perfect amount of legends, Gens IV and V introduced significantly too many. I'm tired of all these goddamn legends, though -- much to my delight -- VI introduced an even more perfect amount than I.

4. One of the better rivals: I don't entirely know why, but I like Blue more than most of the other rivals. Maybe the new ones are just too nice, even if I do like Cheren, Barry and Tierno...

5. Has Pokemon Stadium: I never actually played the original, but I played the Gen II version a bit and the series looks like it has a lot of potential. And of course, since it has potential, it had to be killed off, it only makes sense, no?

Last edited:
Gen III for me.

1) Diving.
It was so fun! Wooooo!

2) Wally.
He's cute and I wish he was the rival; he seemed to have some relevance to the story anyway.

3) Some of the Pokemon.
Such as Rayquaza, Jirachi, Mightyena, Flygon, Milotic, Manectric, Kyogre, Grovyle and Blaziken.

4) Some of the music.
I really liked a lot of the battle music such as the legendary theme, regi theme, champion theme and team boss' theme. I also really like the Abandoned Ship's music.

5) The champions.
Both gave me a huge hard time and I loved their designs. The only other champion I struggled against was Cynthia.

Gen 5

• Game Plot- Has an exciting and interesting plot, especially with the whole concept of Team Plasma.
  • Unique Art Designs- That is the Pokemon. The Pokemon were very unique is design and had no traces of older Pokemon's designs. It's very hard to accomplish this.
  • Unique Region Design- Unova, was very, well weird when I first saw it. It looked like a place of fun and mysteries
  • Unique Gyms and Cities- One example was the Striaton Gym, where it had three gym leader and you always had to fight your starter's disadvantage. Nice touch. Example of good cities were Castelia City, were the overhead view completely shock me (it looked so good) and Acamula Town.
  • Good Side Games- Example: Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity

Gen IV:

*Plot. Platinum's story was pretty awesome, and I enjoyed it.

*Following. It was really awesome to have your pokemon following you in HG/SS and Amnity Square

*Red. Because reasons

*Legendaries. Gen 4 had some of my favorite legendaries, like Dialga, Shaymin, Arceus and Giratina

*The Pseudo-Legendary. Garchomp is just awesome. A T. rex/shark/dragon? Yesplz.

Might be difficult, but I'll try. It's Gen 5 for me.

-Had some cool Pokemon like the Purrloin and Oshawott families, which are my favorite of this gen. There are more gen 5 Pokemon I like, but very few out of the entire dex.
-Constantly moving sprites were nice. Added a little bit more excitement to battles.
-Gym music on last Pokemon was great.
-Pokepark 2 was a really fun game. Liked it almost as much the the original. Conquest was also pretty fun.
-Sequels were a nice change from remakes. Though I really didn't care for the remakes either, at least it was a more interesting concept than another 3rd version.

1. Ferrothorn
2. Ferrothorn
3. Ferrothorn
4. Ferrothorn
5. Ferrothorn

For me it's Gen V, which felt too monotone because it only featured one region and no remakes.

1. The plot. I liked the direct sequel aspect and how N made a timely return in B2W2.

2. N. His character to this day intrigues me in every way, and I compare him in many aspects to Red, believe it or not. I wish we would see more of him, like what he was up to inbetween BW1 and BW2 and maybe some of what he did after BW2.

3. The main Legendaries. Reshiram, Zekrom and Kyurem are awesome. I loved Reshiram right away for its graceful yet aggressive appearance, and the way Kyurem can fuse with them makes him an interesting and unique Legendary.

4. PWT. Oh my God, I may rank this post-game 2nd only to Emerald's Battle Frontier. The PWT concept was AMAZING and it should be included in every game. I can't believe they scrapped it for X and Y tbh, they should have implemented it with Gen V characters as well, imagine all the teams if some trainers had MEGA EVOLUTIONS. Well, one can dream. I play my games through like one continuous adventure, my main character in my game's storyline goes from Emerald, to Diamond, to SoulSilver, to White 2, to Y in that order, and in White 2 I had an amazing time battling everyone I had battled in Emerald, Diamond, and SoulSilver, it felt like a genuine rematch, I even used Pokemon transferred from those games to defeat the likes of Steven, Red, and Cynthia.

5. The sprites. They no longer looked like midgets and actually had frickin' legs. To be honest this is a pretty big deal to me and it made the game feel fresh even if it was on the same or a similar engine to Gen IV.

Least favorite is Gen VI

But the best about it are the following:

1. Enhanced breeding system- Destiny Knot, Everstone, HA can be transferred from male parent(but only through Ditto breeding), etc. Not to mention the middle area of Luminous City that are very usable in hatching eggs. On this Gen, they made breeding possible to any kind of players.
2. 3D- of course, the usage of 3D is the reason why most of us played the X/Y version.
3. Biking- I can ride my bike in any angle I want. Cool!
4. Enhanced EV training- as a competitive player, EVs are the most important part of building your line up. And XY made it easier to train my Pokemon's EV through horde battles. Also the introduction of Super Training made it possible to check your Pokemon's EV without using calculator(lol).
5. Kanto starters- Yes, this is one of the greatest thing about Gen VI, accessible Kanto starter with their respective Mega Evolution.

Gen V:

1. Finding Audino in shaking grass. It made training a lot easier, but still not too easy like gen VI did.

2. Roxie. One of my favourite gym leaders.

3. Some pokemon, like Pansage, Gigalith, Hydreigon and Whimsicott.

4. Sequels instead of a third version. It was nice to see what had happened to everyone and I mostly liked that there were two new player characters.

5. Habitat list. Really useful for finding specific pokemon and I thought it was a lot of fun to find all the pokemon for a specific area.

Gen VI (I found the game far too short and easy, the trainers were underleveled and had so few Pokémon. I thought Gen V was more simplified compared to earlier generations, but this was shockingly so. They can't use the excuse that it's for kids because all the other games were as well and they weren't as easy. I really hope the decide to include difficulty levels in the next game. Also the 'rival characters were extremely boring and had almost no personality. They should have put the effort into creating 1-2 good rival characters instead of 4 boring, mediocre ones. And as far as I remember NONE of them had full teams. I was also hoping that I wouldn't sweep the entire Elite 4 first time with no level grinding beforehand. Now I'm worried they have changed the ORAS difficulty curve as well.)

1 - Pokémon-Amie - This is something I've always wanted in a Pokémon game, a cute Nintendogs style mini-game. I really hope they can expand on this in the future (i.e. different toys/foods to cause different effects, having your own or other players' Pokémon meet and interact.)

2 - Character customisation - I was very pleased when I heard about this. I want this greatly expanded next gen as well. (plus Pokémon customisation or colour/marking variations but that's unlikely :( )

3 - Super Training - This streamlined EV training enough for me to actually bother with. Before I didn't care since it usually involved endless running around looking for the right Pokémon and writing everything down meticulously.

4 - Better designed online trading/battling. Actually being able to search for Pokémon you don't already have makes so much more sense.

5 - New Pokémon - Goomy line, Slurpuff, Furfrou, Phantump, Pumpkaboo and quite a few more. And Mega Venusaur of course.

Gen IV:
1. First gen to implement the physical/special split, which should have been in the games since Gen I.

2. Introduced a lot of new moves so that certain types, notably Bug and Flying, had more offensive presence.

3. Introduced a lot of competitively useful abilities, like Adaptability, Mold Breaker, Magic Guard, and Poison Heal.

4. Great soundtrack, probably one of my favorites in the series.

5. Even though some people complain about this, I like how Gen IV gave some older Pokemon new evolutions. It helps keep them relevant, and many of them, like Yanma and Murkrow, needed a boost anyways. The baby Pokemon were pointless though.

Don't murder me in my sleep, but if I had to choose my least favorite, it'd be Gen 3, which I believe is Hoenn. I love all regions but Hoenn's the one I know least about so that's why I chose it.

1. I love some of the Pokémon, the two that come to mind the most are Kyogre and Treeko plus it's evolutions.

2. The fact that it's a Gen that let's us use dive is good enough for me. I love swimming underwater so much.

3. That one Pokémon in the city with the Wind-type gym, you know what I'm talking about. It screwed me up so badly, one of the cleverest things in Pokémon.

4. Kate and Tate. They are the only gym leaders with double battles, with two of my favorite Pokémon Lunatone and Solrock as we'll.

5. That house with the gym who you had to find, then complete a maze while battling trainers to get to the end and receive pokéballs or something. HOWEVER, this is tied with contests. Contests are one of my favorite things in the Pokémon series, next to riding Latias in Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs. Being able to show off your Pokémon to either NPCs or friends is amazing.

And I am done.

5 nice things to say about Gen I - (sorry gen wunners, but it had the worst UI and gameplay mechanics for me)

•Chansey, Snorlax, Jigglypuff, Blastoise, and Gengar - some of my all time favorites, and they were all products of Gen I
•Introduced the series - they were buggy messes, but they kickstarted the series that defined the early stages of my life
•Funniest Anime - Though DP had the best anime series imo, RBG had the funniest XD
•Team Rocket - I found their clichè antics quirky
•Poison Types Existed - lol

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom