• Another exciting episode of Bulbacast has been uploaded to YouTube. Watch it here.
  • Grookey, Scorbunny or Sobble, which one do you love most? Want to show your support with a cool banner, check out the info here!

Name a bigger downgrade than this.

Blockhead Pippi

Previously known as 'Isamu Akai'
Reaction score
I was going to suggest that RSE and USUM probably exist in the same dimension, until I remembered the whole Anabel plot. So don't really know what to tell you then.

Honestly the whole "alternate timeline / dimension" thing just over complicates everything and I wish it weren't a thing.

Unown Seer

Silktree?
Reaction score
Revisiting an original character/design is never a downgrade because it reinforces that such elements still exist. I'd only find it weird if they did it with Jynx.

Blue->Trace is the biggest downgrade to date. Kris->Lyra isn't far behind, though.

prog rocker

Reaction score
Revisiting an original character/design is never a downgrade because it reinforces that such elements still exist. I'd only find it weird if they did it with Jynx.

Blue->Trace is the biggest downgrade to date. Kris->Lyra isn't far behind, though.
If you mean team-wise, then I give you the reason on Blue and Trace. Otherwise, it's an upgrade for me. Sorry Blue fans, I find him unbearable. Also, even though I have been in the franchise since the start, I don't find Lyra a downgrade for Kris. At first, I did, but now I don't find it bad.
Honestly the whole "alternate timeline / dimension" thing just over complicates everything and I wish it weren't a thing.
If you want to simplify things a bit, just think that every save file is canon and the Rainbow Rocket came from unsold or abandoned games, since I like to think that in those the hero never arrived or was born.

Last edited:

Meta Boss

Gym Leader
Reaction score
Going from:
Pokémon Emerald ---> 8 (EIGHT!) Battle Facilities, Gym Leader rematches.

To:
Pokémon ORAS ---> only 2 Battle Facilities, no Gym Leader rematches, and to top it all, an epic sign saying: "The BF project has started!".

^ That's a way bigger downgrade, boys.

Last edited:

CynthiaLover

Geek of the Games
Reaction score
Going from BW and BW2 to XY.
This. I 100% agree with you. XY was a huge disappointment compared to Gen V and was a enormous downgrade. ORAS was a step in the right direction, but it still paled compared to Gen V. I mean, we went from well-developed characters, great story-telling, an actually threatening villain team, and great lore, right back into an idiot plot, flat characters (and that's the nicest thing you can say about them), laughable villains, and story/lore that was contradicted at every turn. That first step from Gen V to Gen VI was a dozy of a drop, and it hurt.

lordfridge

Good Hunter
Reaction score
This. I 100% agree with you. XY was a huge disappointment compared to Gen V and was a enormous downgrade. ORAS was a step in the right direction, but it still paled compared to Gen V. I mean, we went from well-developed characters, great story-telling, an actually threatening villain team, and great lore, right back into an idiot plot, flat characters (and that's the nicest thing you can say about them), laughable villains, and story/lore that was contradicted at every turn. That first step from Gen V to Gen VI was a dozy of a drop, and it hurt.
Hence why I didn't even bother with X/Y.

prog rocker

Reaction score
DS Games > 3DS Games

I don't know what's going on over there, but gen 6 onward has felt lacklustre.
I agree with it. XY was a massive disappointed after B2W2. I did enjoy SM, but it is still inferior from the DS games.

Exegguidor

Reaction score
Gen V to Gen VI/Gen VII, hands down.

Also, using clickbait on forums. ;-)

Eliza

Reaction score
1999 - 2000 Seriously 2000 was just not as cool sounding a year as 99.

Also going from the Diamond and Pearl anime to Best Wishes and going from the sprites of Typhlosion to the 3D model.

Karamazov

The Unbelievable
Reaction score
The majority of the "remastered" Unova cries are downgrades. Special shoutout to Stoutland, Musharna, the Tympole line, Gothitelle, Ducklett, Volcarona, and Reshiram.

Blockhead Pippi

Previously known as 'Isamu Akai'
Reaction score
I honestly don't know why people found XY so disappointing. I personally enjoyed it a lot more than S/M, which I found to be downright infuriating.

So I guess I'll say then that X/Y to S/M felt like a downgrade. To me at least.

Arcanine10

Reaction score
Going from N/Ghetsis to Lysandre.

Going from Serena and Calem to Selene and Elio.

I would want to say from Cynthia to Alder but I really love Alder so I'll settle for going from Alder to Iris as Champion.

prog rocker

Reaction score
Going from N/Ghetsis to Lysandre.

Going from Serena and Calem to Selene and Elio.

I would want to say from Cynthia to Alder but I really love Alder so I'll settle for going from Alder to Iris as Champion.
I will add another one now that you mentioned Cynthia: Going from Cynthia to Diantha. Iris is alright in my opinion and it can be a hard battle, but I have never had any problems against Diantha.

Camille

Call of Fate
Reaction score
Hoenn and Sinnoh>>>Unova and the regions after it in terms of region design.
The Gym Leaders and Elite Four having smaller teams (sometimes with incomplete movesets) are a pretty major downgrade, too.