• Another scrumptious episode of Bulbacast has been uploaded to YouTube. Watch it here. I hope you don't feel desserted after watching this one.
  • As we are still looking for enthusiastic new mods, we're extending the Bulbagarden Staff Drive by a week! See details here.
  • Grookey, Scorbunny or Sobble, which one do you love most? Want to show your support with a cool banner, check out the info here!

Name a bigger downgrade than this.

Boruto

Yᵒᵘ Oᶰˡʸ Lᶤᵛᵉ Oᴺcᴱ
Reaction score
I never understand all the bawling over the lack of the BF in OR/AS given that the games were always hyped as R/S remakes foremost, meaning that Emerald features weren't gonna be the priority to begin with.

That said, ever since last year I've considered Let's Go Pikachu & Eevee to be the biggest downgrades as far as remakes are concerned. Those games are essentially a big scam.

CynthiaLover

Geek of the Games
Reaction score
I never understand all the bawling over the lack of the BF in OR/AS given that the games were always hyped as R/S remakes foremost, meaning that Emerald features weren't gonna be the priority to begin with.

That said, ever since last year I've considered Let's Go Pikachu & Eevee to be the biggest downgrades as far as remakes are concerned. Those games are essentially a big scam.
I think the reason why people were so upset about that is because HGSS included elements of Crystal, despite being billed as GS remakes. So, naturally, most people felt that ORAS would get the same treatment, which, obviously, didn't happen. That's what got everyone so uppity over it.

Arcanine10

Reaction score
I think the reason why people were so upset about that is because HGSS included elements of Crystal, despite being billed as GS remakes. So, naturally, most people felt that ORAS would get the same treatment, which, obviously, didn't happen. That's what got everyone so uppity over it.
To be fair, that's more a problem of the expectations of those people that they created themselves, opposed to the expectations GameFreak gave them.

Last edited:

CynthiaLover

Geek of the Games
Reaction score
To be fair, that's more a problem of the expectations of those people that they created themselves, opposed to the expectations GameFreak gave them.
I can agree with that. I feel that people can get really spoiled over certain things in games and expect the same results on every game that follows. Breath of the Wild, for example, has everyone raving it to be the golden standard for Switch games, which lead to some initial disappointment when Sword/Shield got revealed, because BotW spoiled everyone's expectation on what all future Switch games should look like. Granted, in that case, we only know the bare minimum of Sword/Shield, so it may not be the most fair example, but the point stands. Another example would be the DexNav not getting redone in a new incarnation after ORAS, as, likewise, it was popular and thus people got spoiled on it, expecting things like Rotom Dex to do the same, but, obviously, it didn't. So, that tends to be a problem, as, while having expectations is natural, using past examples doesn't always mean it'll happen again (especially since this is GameFreak we're talkin' 'bout), which is why people get so ruffled over it. Frankly, I feel it's just best to take it as it comes and appreciate what it does have over what it doesn't have, but that's just me.

FlashFire926

Reaction score
Generation 4 and 5 ------> generation 6.

In terms of..... everything. You name it. Story, region, OST, difficulty, post-game facilities, amount of new pokemon, etc. I would even say graphics, because I'll take the 2d pixel sprites over horrible chibi heads, and some of the pokemon models were a big downgrade) Thank god Sun/Moon at least took out the horrible chibi style.

Gen 7 was a big improvement on gen 6, but had it's own flaws that make it pale in comparison to gen 4/5.

Meta Boss

Hardcore Pokéfan
Reaction score
Crystal to BW2 was the Golden Age of Pokémon. All successive games have been a downgrade imo.

Last edited:

Dieter

Dieter
Reaction score
@CynthiaLover and @Arcanine10, I get the salt though. People certainly overhyped themselves, and while ORAS is definitely not lacking in content, the way they implemented the post-game battle facility leaves something to be desired. I mean, the Battle Maison doesn't just feel out of place, they also tease what is supposed to come after the Battle Chatelaines depart for Kalos. And I'm not someone who is particularly into battling, but I see why people might be upset.

And yeah, previous remakes have taken from third instalments, but they usually also take from the current generation. And there's no pattern in what gets used and what doesn't. So people shouldn't get their hopes up because a third instalment had certain features (so the remake must too). ORAS did take plot elements from Emerald after all, with focus on Rayquaza in the post-game, and its role as a protector (with even some similarities to the first PMD instalments). But ORAS also made quite a departure from the originals in general, so it's not like it had to strictly adhere to Ruby and Sapphire. But instead, we didn't even get the Battle Tower, which I think is a far more reasonable expectation than the entire frontier.

Boruto

Yᵒᵘ Oᶰˡʸ Lᶤᵛᵉ Oᴺcᴱ
Reaction score
People praise Gen 7 as an improvement over Gen 6, yet I don't see why that is given Gen 7's endless cut-scenes and lack of D-pad walking function. The latter was a huge downgrade.

prog rocker

Reaction score
People praise Gen 7 as an improvement over Gen 6, yet I don't see why that is given Gen 7's endless cut-scenes and lack of D-pad walking function. The latter was a huge downgrade.
Using a D-Pad in Gen VII is uncomfortable. Believe me, I tried doing that in Citra and is not that good.

Poke Dragon

The boundary between opposites.
Reaction score
Honestly, I prefer not to be held down by grid movement, which is one of the things that Gen 7 did right, getting rid of it entirely.

prog rocker

Reaction score
Honestly, I prefer not to be held down by grid movement, which is one of the things that Gen 7 did right, getting rid of it entirely.
Yeah, this is exactly why the D-Pad was awkward to use in SM. It was completely stiff.

Poke Dragon

The boundary between opposites.
Reaction score
Yeah, this is exactly why the D-Pad was awkward to use in SM. It was completely stiff.
I mean, Pokemon X and Y should've already had a gridless movement as every game in a 3D world should have, simply upgrading a 4-direction to an 8-direction grid movement isn't enough to justify a game going 3D.

FlashFire926

Reaction score
Disagree, I thought getting rid of the grid was a huge improvement. Gen 6 still having a grid based system and square based routes with 90 degree corners everywhere didn't even particularly feel like 3D, felt like 2D with a fresh coat of paint. Half-assed 3D.

IncineROAR

Darth Ignis
Reaction score
Going from ORAS and a ton of Mega Evolutions and an epic post-game episode, to SM and z-moves and pathetic post-game content.

ShinyShizuka

Shiny Invisible Baby
Reaction score
I honestly love all the games and I don't really pay attention to the negatives. The only thing I'm kinda concerned about is why they halved shiny chances to 1/4096 in Gen 5 and onwards, which makes me think they want players to find shinies easier...

maysontyreese

Reaction score
So I guess I'll say then that X/Y to S/M felt like a downgrade. To me at least.

Last edited by a moderator: