• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Name a bigger downgrade than this.

lordfridge

Welcome Home, Good Hunter
Reaction score

Am I the only one who is unreasonably upset about this, and not just because I was super gay for Archie in Alpha Sapphire?

I was going to suggest that RSE and USUM probably exist in the same dimension, until I remembered the whole Anabel plot. So don't really know what to tell you then.

Honestly the whole "alternate timeline / dimension" thing just over complicates everything and I wish it weren't a thing.

Revisiting an original character/design is never a downgrade because it reinforces that such elements still exist. I'd only find it weird if they did it with Jynx.

Blue->Trace is the biggest downgrade to date. Kris->Lyra isn't far behind, though.
If you mean team-wise, then I give you the reason on Blue and Trace. Otherwise, it's an upgrade for me. Sorry Blue fans, I find him unbearable. Also, even though I have been in the franchise since the start, I don't find Lyra a downgrade for Kris. At first, I did, but now I don't find it bad.
Honestly the whole "alternate timeline / dimension" thing just over complicates everything and I wish it weren't a thing.
If you want to simplify things a bit, just think that every save file is canon and the Rainbow Rocket came from unsold or abandoned games, since I like to think that in those the hero never arrived or was born.

Last edited:
Going from:
Pokémon Emerald ---> 8 (EIGHT!) Battle Facilities, Gym Leader rematches.

To:
Pokémon ORAS ---> only 2 Battle Facilities, no Gym Leader rematches, and to top it all, an epic sign saying: "The BF project has started!".

^ That's a way bigger downgrade, boys.

Last edited:
Going from BW and BW2 to XY.

This. I 100% agree with you. XY was a huge disappointment compared to Gen V and was a enormous downgrade. ORAS was a step in the right direction, but it still paled compared to Gen V. I mean, we went from well-developed characters, great story-telling, an actually threatening villain team, and great lore, right back into an idiot plot, flat characters (and that's the nicest thing you can say about them), laughable villains, and story/lore that was contradicted at every turn. That first step from Gen V to Gen VI was a dozy of a drop, and it hurt.

This. I 100% agree with you. XY was a huge disappointment compared to Gen V and was a enormous downgrade. ORAS was a step in the right direction, but it still paled compared to Gen V. I mean, we went from well-developed characters, great story-telling, an actually threatening villain team, and great lore, right back into an idiot plot, flat characters (and that's the nicest thing you can say about them), laughable villains, and story/lore that was contradicted at every turn. That first step from Gen V to Gen VI was a dozy of a drop, and it hurt.

Hence why I didn't even bother with X/Y.

1999 - 2000 Seriously 2000 was just not as cool sounding a year as 99.

Also going from the Diamond and Pearl anime to Best Wishes and going from the sprites of Typhlosion to the 3D model.

I honestly don't know why people found XY so disappointing. I personally enjoyed it a lot more than S/M, which I found to be downright infuriating.

So I guess I'll say then that X/Y to S/M felt like a downgrade. To me at least.

Going from N/Ghetsis to Lysandre.

Going from Serena and Calem to Selene and Elio.

I would want to say from Cynthia to Alder but I really love Alder so I'll settle for going from Alder to Iris as Champion.

Going from N/Ghetsis to Lysandre.

Going from Serena and Calem to Selene and Elio.

I would want to say from Cynthia to Alder but I really love Alder so I'll settle for going from Alder to Iris as Champion.
I will add another one now that you mentioned Cynthia: Going from Cynthia to Diantha. Iris is alright in my opinion and it can be a hard battle, but I have never had any problems against Diantha.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom