• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Name a bigger downgrade than this.

In my opinion:

Johto = Hoenn = Unova > Kanto > Sinnoh > Alola > Kalos

In my case, it would be as followed:

Unova > Hoenn > Sinnoh > Alola > Johto > Kalos > Kanto

I would say that Unova and Hoenn are about equal, but it took Hoenn until Gen VI to really shine in terms of story and lore, while Unova had all that, plus more, right out of the starting gate, so that's why Unova ranks higher than Hoenn.

I haven't played a lot of Pokemon, so I don't have too many things I can think of that were a downgrade, and a couple of them have been mentioned. Mine doesn't even compare to what they did to Archie. ORAS Archie was so cool why they have to bring RSE Archie back. Heck, same with Maxie frankly.

Hugh (BW2) > Calem/Serena and the other friends (XY). Hugh had more personality and character than all four of those rivals combined. I haven't even completed BW2 (and I won't for awhile cuz I lost my cartridge and I'm not buying another one). I don't even consider Hugh to be my favorite rival, or even close to my favorite rival. But the friends from X and Y were just a downgrade.

^ Unova is better than Sinnoh, imo. At least BW2 Unova certainly is.

IMO not. BW1 Unova was stream-lined A to B main game, most routes look generic almost the same, not many optional areas, small etc. BW2 may fixed some things, but coming from Sinnoh, Unova fells cheap.

The only thing Unova did better was the desert.

Hugh (BW2) > Calem/Serena and the other friends (XY). Hugh had more personality and character than all four of those rivals combined. I haven't even completed BW2 (and I won't for awhile cuz I lost my cartridge and I'm not buying another one). I don't even consider Hugh to be my favorite rival, or even close to my favorite rival. But the friends from X and Y were just a downgrade.
Wow... that's harsh... and I agree with it. Barely. Although I find his quest for Purrloin and how he's an asshole to everyone annoying, at least he's not guilt-tripping me every time I beat him (Calem/Serena) or bein' largely irrelevant to the adventure (Shauna/Tiern:bulbaWave:Trevor). Shauna, Tierno and Trevor are even easier than some of the NPCs that are found in the same areas as them.

EDIT: And greeting Bulbasaur strikes again...

Going from this...

dexnavnational.jpg

To this...

rotomdexmap.jpg

Completely destroyed years of excellent Dual-Screen functionality. Rest in pieces...

Last edited:
The rotom dex was a load of rubbish. I could’ve forgiven it if it was actually a usable rotom form. But instead it’s an annoying and pointless feature. All the bottom screen ever needed was DexNav, some of the counting features from DPP and a one click button to get online to the PSS.

"Hey there! I'm here to give you advice you don't want/need and have heard me say 1000 times before! Also you can't use your map until I'm finished talking. If you interrupt me by opening menus or something I'm probably just gonna start talking immediately again!!"

All my hateeeeee

"Hey there! I'm here to give you advice you don't want/need and have heard me say 1000 times before! Also you can't use your map until I'm finished talking. If you interrupt me by opening menus or something I'm probably just gonna start talking immediately again!!"

All my hateeeeee
Like I said before in another thread, he's more or less the Clippy of Pokémon.

Going from ANY main series game OST, to XY's unmemorable OST.

It is the first and sofar only OST that I find unfitting for a Pokémon game. XY's OST feels more fitting for a guided tour around a Museum, than for a a Pokémon trainer going on an adventure.

Last edited:
Unova starters are a bigger downgrade from previous-gen starters, even though the rest of Gen-V Pokémon (like Sawk, Audino, or even Vanniluxe) have great potential. Even in terms of later fully-evolved starters, the newer-gen Greninja and Primarina beat Samurott in overall battling capabilities for Water-types.

Though Minccino / Cinccino was planned to be a Pikachu / Raichu replacement, the absence of Pichu / Pikachu / Raichu in B2W2 Unova Dex puzzled me quite. Other than that, B2W2 is one of the best Pokémon games I've ever played.

BONUS Z-POWERED COMPLAINT: Master Trainers in LGPE are a MASSIVE DOWNGRADE from Eevee Users in SM/USUM.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom