• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Name a bigger downgrade than this.

The biggest downgrade is devaluing third legendaries, oh wait, Gen 6 did that! So we went from a generation in which the third legendary (Kyurem) got two great versions to a generation where the third legend (Zygarde) got nothing in its own generation and instead had to wait until Gen 7 to get anything at all. That reminds me, Kyurem had a reason to get the forms he got and were very well explained within the plot of the games. For Zygarde? Nah, let's just dump him and his forms in a region that's completely separate from Xerneas and Yveltal, the two legends in which Zygarde was tasked to watch in the first place!

The biggest downgrade is devaluing third legendaries, oh wait, Gen 6 did that! So we went from a generation in which the third legendary (Kyurem) got two great versions to a generation where the third legend (Zygarde) got nothing in its own generation and instead had to wait until Gen 7 to get anything at all. That reminds me, Kyurem had a reason to get the forms he got and were very well explained within the plot of the games. For Zygarde? Nah, let's just dump him and his forms in a region that's completely separate from Xerneas and Yveltal, the two legends in which Zygarde was tasked to watch in the first place!
At least Zygarde got an anime arc; Xerneas and Yveltal are still waiting for something after they were relegated to glorified extras in their own games.

Going from Cheren and Bianca to Hugh. I don't think a character that is a jerk to everyone but the protagonist is a good move in this case.

If I may extend on this: going from Hugh to Calem/Serena, Trevor, and Tierno. Shauna was decent (especially compared to her peers), but she was also a step down from Hugh, but at least it wasn't as sharp of a drop as the others.

In my humble opinion, after buying Pokemon Let's Go Eevee, then playing Pokemon FireRed on an Emulator, I can say that Let's Go is quite the downgrade. Sure, I like Let's Go, I think it's a decent game. But it's not as good of a package as FireRed and LeafGreen. Let's Go didn't have anything much to do after you beat the Elite Four. Sure, you can Hunt for the Legendary Birds, get a Meltan, Try to catch Mewtwo. And that's about it. FRLG on the other hand, had the Trainer Tower, that one item that allowed you to battle trainers you have fought before, you're able to catch Johto Pokemon, etc. etc.
At least Sword and Shield looks promising...

Man, yeah. One of the things that made me saltiest about Let's Go was that it was basically just a fancy remake of Pokemon Yellow. No Sevii Islands or anything else that was new to the Kanto experience that keeps me wanting to attempt another nuzlocke of FR/LG.

Just the unwanted love child of a gen 1 game and Pokemon Go.

Man, yeah. One of the things that made me saltiest about Let's Go was that it was basically just a fancy remake of Pokemon Yellow. No Sevii Islands or anything else that was new to the Kanto experience that keeps me wanting to attempt another nuzlocke of FR/LG.

Just the unwanted love child of a gen 1 game and Pokemon Go.

Amen to that, my pink fox friend. While I never got to play FRLG, I can see it as the superior version of Kanto (and coming from me, that's saying something). I ended up with a used copy of Let's Go Eevee from a relative and it was every bit as bad as I thought it would be, and quickly traded it in for store credit for other games like CTR. I mean, it brought virtually nothing new to the table, barring Meltan, and was just one big old dumb love letter to Yellow and Gen 1 as a whole. As if Gen 1 hasn't had ENOUGH love letters to it lately (Kalos, Mega Evo, Alola, Alolan Formes, and now Let's Go). It's gotten to the point where the Gen 1 love is well overstaying its welcome. Hopefully Gen 8 fixes that, as Galar looks promising, but I'm not holding my breath.

This one might be a bit unfair and potentially out-of-context, but if Mons are allowed in this conversation, then Staraptor to Unfezant. Shame, really, as the Pidove line had a lot going for it prior to release, plus it's grown on me a lot over time (and I tend to end up with a lot of shiny Pidoves for some reason). But, in the end, the Pidove line was a huge letdown compared to the Starly line's awesomeness.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom