• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Name a bigger downgrade than this.

I never understand all the bawling over the lack of the BF in OR/AS given that the games were always hyped as R/S remakes foremost, meaning that Emerald features weren't gonna be the priority to begin with.

That said, ever since last year I've considered Let's Go Pikachu & Eevee to be the biggest downgrades as far as remakes are concerned. Those games are essentially a big scam.

I never understand all the bawling over the lack of the BF in OR/AS given that the games were always hyped as R/S remakes foremost, meaning that Emerald features weren't gonna be the priority to begin with.

That said, ever since last year I've considered Let's Go Pikachu & Eevee to be the biggest downgrades as far as remakes are concerned. Those games are essentially a big scam.

I think the reason why people were so upset about that is because HGSS included elements of Crystal, despite being billed as GS remakes. So, naturally, most people felt that ORAS would get the same treatment, which, obviously, didn't happen. That's what got everyone so uppity over it.

I think the reason why people were so upset about that is because HGSS included elements of Crystal, despite being billed as GS remakes. So, naturally, most people felt that ORAS would get the same treatment, which, obviously, didn't happen. That's what got everyone so uppity over it.

To be fair, that's more a problem of the expectations of those people that they created themselves, opposed to the expectations GameFreak gave them.

Last edited:
To be fair, that's more a problem of the expectations of those people that they created themselves, opposed to the expectations GameFreak gave them.

I can agree with that. I feel that people can get really spoiled over certain things in games and expect the same results on every game that follows. Breath of the Wild, for example, has everyone raving it to be the golden standard for Switch games, which lead to some initial disappointment when Sword/Shield got revealed, because BotW spoiled everyone's expectation on what all future Switch games should look like. Granted, in that case, we only know the bare minimum of Sword/Shield, so it may not be the most fair example, but the point stands. Another example would be the DexNav not getting redone in a new incarnation after ORAS, as, likewise, it was popular and thus people got spoiled on it, expecting things like Rotom Dex to do the same, but, obviously, it didn't. So, that tends to be a problem, as, while having expectations is natural, using past examples doesn't always mean it'll happen again (especially since this is GameFreak we're talkin' 'bout), which is why people get so ruffled over it. Frankly, I feel it's just best to take it as it comes and appreciate what it does have over what it doesn't have, but that's just me.

Generation 4 and 5 ------> generation 6.

In terms of..... everything. You name it. Story, region, OST, difficulty, post-game facilities, amount of new pokemon, etc. I would even say graphics, because I'll take the 2d pixel sprites over horrible chibi heads, and some of the pokemon models were a big downgrade) Thank god Sun/Moon at least took out the horrible chibi style.

Gen 7 was a big improvement on gen 6, but had it's own flaws that make it pale in comparison to gen 4/5.

Crystal to BW2 was the Golden Age of Pokémon. All successive games have been a downgrade imo.

Last edited:
@CynthiaLover and @Arcanine10, I get the salt though. People certainly overhyped themselves, and while ORAS is definitely not lacking in content, the way they implemented the post-game battle facility leaves something to be desired. I mean, the Battle Maison doesn't just feel out of place, they also tease what is supposed to come after the Battle Chatelaines depart for Kalos. And I'm not someone who is particularly into battling, but I see why people might be upset.

And yeah, previous remakes have taken from third instalments, but they usually also take from the current generation. And there's no pattern in what gets used and what doesn't. So people shouldn't get their hopes up because a third instalment had certain features (so the remake must too). ORAS did take plot elements from Emerald after all, with focus on Rayquaza in the post-game, and its role as a protector (with even some similarities to the first PMD instalments). But ORAS also made quite a departure from the originals in general, so it's not like it had to strictly adhere to Ruby and Sapphire. But instead, we didn't even get the Battle Tower, which I think is a far more reasonable expectation than the entire frontier.

People praise Gen 7 as an improvement over Gen 6, yet I don't see why that is given Gen 7's endless cut-scenes and lack of D-pad walking function. The latter was a huge downgrade.

Honestly, I prefer not to be held down by grid movement, which is one of the things that Gen 7 did right, getting rid of it entirely.

Yeah, this is exactly why the D-Pad was awkward to use in SM. It was completely stiff.
I mean, Pokemon X and Y should've already had a gridless movement as every game in a 3D world should have, simply upgrading a 4-direction to an 8-direction grid movement isn't enough to justify a game going 3D.

Disagree, I thought getting rid of the grid was a huge improvement. Gen 6 still having a grid based system and square based routes with 90 degree corners everywhere didn't even particularly feel like 3D, felt like 2D with a fresh coat of paint. Half-assed 3D.

I honestly love all the games and I don't really pay attention to the negatives. The only thing I'm kinda concerned about is why they halved shiny chances to 1/4096 in Gen 5 and onwards, which makes me think they want players to find shinies easier...

BW2 >>>> XY - Grinding

Black and White 2 have great ways of grinding where you earn your items compared to XY where you beat an easy gym, get a make game easier card, beat other easy gyms easier and beat easy elite four. The EXP Share is great early game for keeping levels similar, but for specifics, whoo boy. EVs are harder to get, and the worse thing is it affects everyone, not just select ones. So you train everyone at once making a similar level grinding harder.

The cool thing about this thread is that almost everyone here is lying. (Not the italicizing of almost. That means I'm putting emphasis on it so that nobody can say I'm wrong about them.)

I remember every part of gen 5 (though I didn't play the games) and I specifically remember the pokemon fandom deriding them relentlessly.

This isn't even mentioning how I went back to some older games, do not stand the test of time. Sorry, but your nostalgia was wrong.

I agree that XY amd ORAS have some lackluster elements but they're still an upgrade from the previous generations. (Also the battle frontier is a lackluster postgame. I only tell the truth.)

Long story short, biggest downgrade: Pre-Gen 6 Pokemon Fandom >>>>>>> Post-Gen 6 Pokemon fandom.

Oh, by the way, this applies to every other generation too. I'm not singling out specifically people who compare gen 6 to gen 5. Also those people who compared gen 5 to gen 4, gen 4 to gen 3, and so on.

Take off your nostalgia glasses and quit changing your tune the moment you need to justify hating a new generation.

That's all I have to say on the matter. Now, don't even try arguing. It's 8:30 and I am way to tired to come up with a proper response.

I really hope they make some retro-style 2D pokemon game with high quality sprites. I wouldn't mind if it was a mobile only game like the Dragon Quest Monsters one as long as the battle system is the same of the main games and even had compatibility with the new titles.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom