• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Name a bigger downgrade than this.

Going from the sprites to the models.

The sprites always gave Pokémon some neat personalities and quirks where as the 3d models are literally the most generic of generic models for a lot of Pokémon and the colours are really washed out, opposed to the popping colours of the sprites.

I think one of the biggest downgrades is the gen 7 Pokedex to gen 8 Pokedex in terms of functionality.

You lose the ability to search for Pokemon, view Edit: Gmax Pokemon at an angle, zoom in and out, view idle animations, view more than two attacking animations, and listen to the Pokemon's cry and view animations independently. The gen 8 Pokedex is frustratingly a huge step backwards.

Edit: So apparently you can look at Pokemon at an angle, as long as they you are not looking at a Gmax form.

Last edited:
View attachment 117635View attachment 117636
Am I the only one who is unreasonably upset about this, and not just because I was super gay for Archie in Alpha Sapphire?

I think the old design makes him look more like a Giovanni type of villain. Having him wear a suit makes him look more like a corrupt business man.

The older design worked better with the storyline they gave him in the Pokémon Special/Adventures manga since he was the head of the TV station and spread propaganda.

Maybe they thought that the old design worked better with Rainbow Rocket since it's lead by Giovanni. It's a shame we never found out if the evil team that Maxie and Archie used to be a part of was Team Rocket or not.

New Archie looks more like he honestly believes in his own message which makes more sense if we take his goal into consideration.

It's a shame we never found out if the evil team that Maxie and Archie used to be a part of was Team Rocket or not.
I'm pretty certain they were a part of their respective teams, but I could be wrong.

Edit: I misinterpreted what they said. Just ignore this comment.

Last edited:
I'm pretty certain they were a part of their respective teams, but I could be wrong.
They're implied to be on the same team, so that's unlikely.

I assumed the Rainbow Rocket episode took the team leaders from the respective game realities where they won, so Archie and Maxie would have already established their different teams.
Right, but Emelie is wondering about this team referenced by the Grunt, which came before they established them.

Going from the sprites to the models.

The sprites always gave Pokémon some neat personalities and quirks where as the 3d models are literally the most generic of generic models for a lot of Pokémon and the colours are really washed out, opposed to the popping colours of the sprites.
Some Shiny Pokémon models in 3DS games were pretty much washed out compared to DS games' sprites. Shiny Pichu is a notable victim of this.

Right, but Emelie is wondering about this team referenced by the Grunt, which came before they established them.

Yeah, I was wondering if they chose the old version of Archie since he has a similar suit to Giovanni and if this might have been a hint that they had some kind of backstory together. Might have been a little bit of a stretch though. :p

Either way I think it was a missed opportunity to not expand on this backstory in USUM when all the evil teams were gathered. The idea of Maxie and Archie being on the same team despite their opposing ideals sounded very interesting. It means that they must have some common ground even if Maxie doesn't agree with Archie's beliefs about the environment/sea.

I think Team Rocket seems like the most likely candidate since Giovanni doesn't seem to have any hidden agenda or political opinions that might clash with the Gen 3 villains' ideals.

It would have made the USUM storyline a little more interesting since it was otherwise a huge downgrade from the SM storyline.

Last edited:
While the menu sprites have gotten far better as the generations have gone by, the fact that the gen 6+ menu sprites no longer have individual animations, instead just bobbing up and down, is a very minor, but still sad, downgrade.
Ani303MS.png
303.png
303.png

Ani468MS.png
468.png
468.png

Ani563MS.png
563.png
563.png
Imagine if we could have SwSh/LGPE quality sprites with their own little animations. While most animated menu sprites pretty much swayed side-to-side, it was still cute. And considering that the Switch sprites are far more detailed, that could mean more complex animations than just swaying side-to-side.

For me one of the worst downgrades in the series is all the filters and other garbage they put on pokemon cries starting in gen 6. It ruined so many cries that sounded so good before the change imo

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom