• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

name changes from japanese black and white to english black and white

katey

i am awesumo
Reaction score
well as i have heard from so of my friends apparently some of the peoples names in the japanese black and white have changed in the english version and i just wanted to put the idea out to all you pokemon fans do yopu think they sholud keep the names the same in both the japanese games and the english one?

but... they always change them

i would like it, depending on the name though...

Hachiku - No, GTFO

well maybe for once it would be nice if the names were all the same

Some name changes was okay but some I dislike. I wish they keep boiling, Narttorei and others.

At the very least, they should keep the stuff that's already in English the same. What's the point of changing "Live Caster" to "Xtransceiver," "Tri Badge" to "Trio Badge," or "Shell Blade" to "Razor Blade?"

Not even that is a new issue though. For example, the move Crush Claw, which debuted with the R/S games, has the Japanese name of Break Claw.

At the very least, they should keep the stuff that's already in English the same. What's the point of changing "Live Caster" to "Xtransceiver," "Tri Badge" to "Trio Badge," or "Shell Blade" to "Razor Blade?"
Not to mention their habit of changing Japanese names to other Japanese names >.>

...or "Shell Blade" to "Razor Blade?"

'Shell Blade' to 'Razor Shell' is one of the dumbest, most unnecessary attack name changes I think we've ever gotten. It stands right up there with 'Nitro Charge' becoming 'Flame Charge'.

Who else thinks that if Treehouse had still been doing the in-game translations those two names would have been left alone?

'Shell Blade' to 'Razor Shell' is one of the dumbest, most unnecessary attack name changes I think we've ever gotten. It stands right up there with 'Nitro Charge' becoming 'Flame Charge'.

Who else thinks that if Treehouse had still been doing the in-game translations those two names would have been left alone?
I don't know, why don't we look at all the other useless name changes Treehouse themselves have made, or you know missing references to other canons, and worst of all Charine. Then there's TPCi's more accurate translation of Bell Tower, which unbelievably people complained about because they chose one translation over another.

Last edited:

This^
They also could have kept the japanese pokemon names that were easy to pronounce, like Pokabu...

well at least they should of keep some of the names and they sound better in japanese

They should cange stuff. Especially the names of the pokemon since they make extensive use of puns. If the pun is in english already then there is no point in changing it but if they do, I couldn't care all that much.

Hilda and Hilbert are horrible names. They should have kept it as Whitlea and Blair. It'll be even better if they kept it as Touko and Touya.

Yep. Same thing with most of the Gym Leaders in my eyes, although I understand why they really had to westernise this time.

Still. Skyla? When I hear that name I think of a tacky American tween, not a respectable gym leader.

Hilda is an old lady name, as well. I honestly wish they'd just called them Black and White.

I disagree with this, at least up to a point.

The examples you give, I might be inclined to agree with you on. But just because an English phrase sounds good to a Japanese audience, that doesn't mean it will sound equally good to an English audience. You only need to look at Pokémon like Jolteon (Thunders), Articuno (Freezer), Zapdos (Thunder) and Moltres (Fire). All English words, but while they may sound cool and exotic to the Japanese, to English speakers they're very literal and dull.

We are, of course, both arguing at the extreme ends of the issue - you're pointing out "English" names that would work perfectly well in the English versions, while I'm pointing out ones that would sound silly. I suppose what I'm arguing is that you can't just leave everything that was in English unchanged. Keep in mind that a lot of the English names that pop up in the Japanese versions are there because they have a pleasing sound to them. There may have been several possibilities before GF settled on "Shell Blade", for example. So if the Japanese can take aesthetics into account when choosing names, why not the translators too?

[size=-2]Though I agree that Xtransceiver is bloody stupid.[/size]

Masuda has already said they change it because they feel it's more appropriate for the westerners. They want to make sure that they get the full effect and realize most players won't understand the Japanese puns.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom