• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

name changes from japanese black and white to english black and white

Bikini Miltank said:
But just because an English phrase sounds good to a Japanese audience, that doesn't mean it will sound equally good to an English audience. You only need to look at Pokémon like Jolteon (Thunders), Articuno (Freezer), Zapdos (Thunder) and Moltres (Fire). All English words, but while they may sound cool and exotic to the Japanese, to English speakers they're very literal and dull.

But then you have names like Seel or Ditto, which are also very literal and dull. And then there are tons - tons - of names that are just regular words that have been misspelled (Koffing, Unown, like half the Generation V names).

Though I think the main issue with the names you listed is that NOA needs to choose words that can be copyrighted. You can't really copyright the word "Fire," can you? :p

Ryuutakeshi said:
They want to make sure that they get the full effect and realize most players won't understand the Japanese puns.

That's understandable for a name like Fushigidane. Changing Beequeen to Vespiquen? Not so much.

Last edited:
But then you have names like Seel or Ditto, which are also very literal and dull. And then there are tons - tons - of names that are just regular words that have been misspelled (Koffing, Unown, like half the Generation V names).

Though I think the main issue with the names you listed is that NOA needs to choose words that can be copyrighted. You can't really copyright the word "Fire," can you? :p

That's understandable for a name like Fushigidane. Changing Beequeen to Vespiquen? Not so much.

Maybe they thought Beequeen sounded too simple?

Oh well, as long as they don't come up with Foongus Amoongus again

I'm ok....

I definitely think that say, for the species of Pokémon, name changes are necessary. For example, Umbreon. We don't want someone to get the wrong idea when they hear a kid shout "Here, I'll give you this Blacky" or "Yeah, I knocked out that Blacky!". Jynx caused enough problems as it is.

Maybe they thought Beequeen sounded too simple?

Oh well, as long as they don't come up with Foongus Amoongus again

I'm ok....
I actually liked Foongus and Amoonguss.

But yeah, you know X-Transeiver was stupid when the game has to tell you how to pronounce it.

Last edited:
No one mentioned the names of legendaries. I wouldn't mind the extra 'i' in Cobalion (even though it doesn't look like one), Tornelos being Tornadus (possibly to be closer to the word "Tornado") and Landlos to Landorus (Jap. name sounds like "land loss"). But was it really necessary to change Voltolos to Thundurus? (Guess they did not want Voltolus...). At least they kept the possible reference to Aeolus...

Yeah, I also think the change to Xtransceiver was senseless and unnecessary. What was the X (cross) part for anyway?

Some of the changes were indeed stupid. I have taken to naming all my emolga Emonga, for example.

But they do have to make this easier for the original target audience, most of which (in the countries that are not Japan anyway) do not speak Japanese or have the slightest idea of how to pronounce anything that is based on Japanese... though the tv lessons are kind of nice for that. Speaking of which, certain names really don't help (it took someone saying it to have the slightest clue for how to pronounce Axew for example because in the word axe you do not pronounce the w).

But I love that we translate species names for a more important reason. Sure when you get something from Japan (or any other country that uses something other than the alphabet we use) the name looks different but if you get say, an axew from France (which I am using as my example because I got one earlier), it will be named Coupenotte. If we kept the names the same as they are in Japan and just Romanized them, France would have the same name as us for everything. What fun is that? Even more fun when you get something that won't evolve. :3

Though I do agree that changing the names for certain other things was rather stupid. Poke Transfer is one of those things that bothered me, Poke Shift sounded so much cooler. >:

This is simple, because Beequeen sounds absolutely stupid to most English speaking ears. It's like how Sega (or Sonic Team, or whoever makes these translation decisions) decided to go with the Japanese name of the man I had called Dr Robotnik my whole life. Eggman may sound interesting if you didn't grow up speaking English but if you did it sounds completely moronic. I would put Beequeen in the same category.

The difference between that and Ditto is that a ditto is not actually a thing. I do agree that Seel was a dumb name though.

It's like how Sega (or Sonic Team, or whoever makes these translation decisions) decided to go with the Japanese name of the man I had called Dr Robotnik my whole life. Eggman may sound interesting if you didn't grow up speaking English but if you did it sounds completely moronic. I would put Beequeen in the same category.
I dunno about that. Beequeen and Eggman are both very straightforward, but at least 'Eggman' can be bought as sly reference to the Beatles song, what with his walrus-like appearence and all. Given how very 'western' the Sonic games were from the start, I don't think it's too unreasonable to assume that's where they might have got the idea from.
Beequeen, on the other hand, doesn't have that luxuary. There's no way you can get anything out of that other than the fact that..well...it's a bee queen.

I thought that Beequeen, for such a simple name, was pretty fine...

I understand changing names like Tamategate Tamagetake (holy fudge, I thought I got that one down), but what's so special about "Emolga" that they had to change "Emonga"?

Wouldn't it be weird if Purin was a 5th gen Pokemon and we got to witness it being changed to "Jigglypuff"? Mahahahahaha..... what?

This is simple, because Beequeen sounds absolutely stupid to most English speaking ears.

But that same gen they used "licky licky"...

No one mentioned the names of legendaries. I wouldn't mind the extra 'i' in Cobalion (even though it doesn't look like one),

Yeah, I also think the change to Xtransceiver was senseless and unnecessary. What was the X (cross) part for anyway?
Either Cobalion was going to be Cobalion, or Virizion and Terrakion were going to be Virizon and Terrakon. The "lion" part is likely for its noble heart, since that's what lions are associated with.

Cross-transceiver, to intersect transmissions. An X has four points, just like you're able to have up to four people in a voice chat thing. Not hard to figure out.

So how about Lillipup? Its Japanese name is Yorterrie, from "Yorkshire Terrier." There's no untranslatable Japanese pun there, but it got changed anyway.

Pendra got changed to Scolipede. Both are based Scolopendra, the scientific name for a centipede. Again, no Japanese puns here, but it got changed anyway.

Elphoon is a combination of the words "elf" and "typhoon." It got changed to Whimsicott.

There are lots more like these.

I can understand, to an extent, changing a really Japanese sounding name to an English name. I may not agree with it, but I understand the rationale behind it, at least. Names like these, though...I just don't get.

thetifftiff said:
The difference between that and Ditto is that a ditto is not actually a thing.

Ditto is a real word you can find in the dictionary, though.

I would just like to say that Nitro Charge did not need to be renamed. Given the effect of the move, it makes way more sense than Flame Charge. Also, it just sounds cooler.

Ditto is a real word you can find in the dictionary, though.

Ditto is a word but not an object. It's not like anyone who has never played a Pokemon game associates the word ditto with a cute purple blob or transformation.

They should have an option to have the names in Japanese or English. :p

Get all your Pokemon from the GTS and looks specifically for Japanese names, problem solved. P: And if you want them to have the Romanized versions of the name, nickname them. That's what I've been doing when catching Emolga...

Get all your Pokemon from the GTS and looks specifically for Japanese names, problem solved. P: And if you want them to have the Romanized versions of the name, nickname them. That's what I've been doing when catching Emolga...

This. So far, I've renamed Cofagrigus, Heatmor, Durant and Mienshao to Desukan, Kuitaran, Aianto and Kojondo, respectively. I plan on renaming Bisharp to Kirikizan when I get one.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom