• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Name (only) origins?

ainohuyuah

Reaction score
Should the title now given as 'Name origin' be changed to something more suitable considering the paragraph now describes the actual origin of the character's design as well as the origin of their name?

I notice that as well, however, I have no suggestions for an alternative heading. Also, more often than not, the name describes the design origin as well.

Often that is the case and that's what I try to do when I'm writing the name origins but some other authors are going back and editing the name origin not to change anything I've written but to add one last sentence to say what the Pokemon is based on if I haven't already referenced it. Shouldn't the inspiration for the Pokemon be placed in the first paragraph? The Pokemon articles aren't balanced in that repect eg. compare Bulbasaur to Clamperl - surely it would be far more appropriate to try and beef up some articles by moving the origin of the Pokemon's design to some where else other than the origin of their name.

I don't think that too many people will be bothered (or even notice) that what each Pokemon is based on is listed under the Name origin category. Of course, those of us who are actually writing the articles will notice, but your average infoseeker isn't going to be looking for things like that. My opinion is unless there is a bot or some other easy way to change "Name origin" to simply "Origin" or something else on a mass scale, leave it alone. Of course, it could also work if whoever writes the main article on a particular Pokemon would just cut-and-paste the text in question into the main part at the time of the article's writing.

Please note: The thread is from 19 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom