• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

NASA : "Yes, we found water" (on the moon)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fig

Reaction score
http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/space/11/13/water.moon.nasa/index.html

(CNN) -- NASA said Friday it had discovered water on the moon, opening "a new chapter" that could allow for the development of a lunar space station.

The discovery was announced by project scientist Anthony Colaprete at a midday news conference. "Indeed, yes, we found water," he said.

The find is based on preliminary data collected when the Lunar Crater Observation and Sensing Satellite, or LCROSS, intentionally crashed October 9 into the permanently shadowed region of Cabeus crater near the moon's south pole.

After the satellite struck, a rocket flew through the debris cloud, measuring the amount of water and providing a host of other data, Colaprete said.

The project team concentrated on data from the satellite's spectrometers, which provide the best information about the presence of water, Colaprete said. A spectrometer helps identify the composition of materials by examining light they emit or absorb.

Although the goal of the $79 million mission was to determine whether there is water on the moon, discoveries in other areas are expected as studies progress, Colaprete and other scientists said at the briefing at NASA's Ames Research Center at Moffett Field near San Francisco, California.

"The discovery opens a new chapter in our understanding of the moon," the space agency said in a written statement shortly after the briefing began.

Michael Wargo, chief lunar scientist at NASA headquarters in Washington, said the latest discovery also could unlock the mysteries of the solar system.

He listed several options as sources for the water, including solar winds, comets, giant molecular clouds or even the moon itself through some kind of internal activity. The Earth also may have a role, Wargo said.

"If the water that was formed or deposited is billions of years old, these polar cold traps could hold a key to the history and evolution of the solar system, much as an ice core sample taken on Earth reveals ancient data," NASA said in its statement.

"In addition, water and other compounds represent potential resources that could sustain future lunar exploration."

Wow, I wasn't expecting much out of that after we didn't get the spectacle that was expected last month. XD

Still that's nice for the future settlement issue. :p

Yay! We found water. We blew it up BUT WE FOUND WATER!

Wow, I wasn't expecting much out of that after we didn't get the spectacle that was expected last month. XD

Still that's nice for the future settlement issue. :p

Maybe what happened isn't what we expected, but it's precisely what NASA expected.

Yay! We found water. We blew it up BUT WE FOUND WATER!
Not only did we blow it up but I think we activated its defence systems with mysterious perfectly round holes popping up on its surface.

I wonder what it'll taste like? Filtering it is gonna be a bear, though...

I wonder what it'll taste like? Filtering it is gonna be a bear, though...

How does filtering relate to a bear? *grizzly bear roars*
JK. :p
But water on the moon would be good for NASA... when we send more people to the moon. Taste to Astronauts is irrelevant. Contemplate what they have recycled into water again and I doubt their are many complaints.

If that isn't proof Clefable came from the moon, I don't know what is. Now all we need to do is find an underground burger stall, and extraterestrial life can be proven once and for all.

The first creature will be four foot tall pink fairies.

Next they'll have to change the Doctor Who episode from 'The Waters of Mars' to 'The Water On the Moon'.

I didn't expect that much!

How does filtering relate to a bear? *grizzly bear roars*
JK. :p
But water on the moon would be good for NASA... when we send more people to the moon. Taste to Astronauts is irrelevant. Contemplate what they have recycled into water again and I doubt their are many complaints.

If you mean their piss, then no. They just throw that out into space.

Since traces of water have been found, there is a change that such bacteria as extremophiles (the original inhabitants of the Earth, and can live in extreme conditions) may possibly have lived there.

If extremeophiles can survive the boiling, explosive beginning years of the Earth, they can probably survive the climate of the moon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom