• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

National Dex in Scarlet and Violet?

i don't recall separate iterations of Bank. from what i remember, you could use all versions of bank with all gen 6 or 7 games except LGPE, but once a pokemon had been in a gen 7 game, they could not go back to a gen 6 game
That’s kind of what I was talking about with the whole “separate iterations of Pokémon Bank” thing. With the price increase from Bank’s $5 per generation to Home’s $30 and the fact that not every Pokémon will get a game in any given generation, it would be bad PR to jump on the “separate one-way service transfer that makes you pay each iteration separately” when the wound Dexit left in the community is still somewhat fresh.

I doubt they can support the same iteration of Home indefinitely, but the least TPC can do in order to not immediately fan the flames for Gen 9 is to hold off on one-way transfers until Nintendo’s next console iteration. As for the argument of potentially losing out on more money, they could just up the price of the existing service to $35 and add in a few more boxes to justify it. All of this would not only be avoiding more anti-consumer PR, but it would also make Pokémon Home more enticing in terms of drawing in more customers.

That’s kind of what I was talking about with the whole “separate iterations of Pokémon Bank” thing. With the price increase from Bank’s $5 per generation to Home’s $30 and the fact that not every Pokémon will get a game in any given generation, it would be bad PR to jump on the “separate one-way service transfer that makes you pay each iteration separately” when the wound Dexit left in the community is still somewhat fresh.

I doubt they can support the same iteration of Home indefinitely, but the least TPC can do in order to not immediately fan the flames for Gen 9 is to hold off on one-way transfers until Nintendo’s next console iteration. As for the argument of potentially losing out on more money, they could just up the price of the existing service to $35 and add in a few more boxes to justify it. All of this would not only be avoiding more anti-consumer PR, but it would also make Pokémon Home more enticing in terms of drawing in more customers.
I agree with this. At this point, there’s no reason to not let a Pokémon that’s been to Scarlet and Violet come back to SwSh, BDSP, or PLA if that species is in the game unless it has a move or something that isn’t coded in. If they’re native to gen 9 then fine since the origin mark won’t exist in those games, but a Galar-born Pikachu should be able to go to SV and back.

Actually, now that I bring up the origin mark thing, are they not gonna let BDSP or PLA Pokémon go to SwSh for that reason once Home compatibility is finally a thing? That would be dirty

How old is Pokemon Home now? 3 years old? It's still quite pathetic.

They don't need to have every Pokemon available in the games, but then they should be available somewhere else. Wasn't Home supposed to allow battling or act like those previous features (didn't play those games) like a park or nursery or whatever.

Because once that is done, then they can really actually be true to the "regional Pokemon" and not have the guaranteed Charizard, Pikachu, Gardevoir, Lucario etc. in every dex.

And we're also seeing SwSh and BDSP. It's a false premise to assume that eliminating the National Dex automatically translates to bigger or better games.

- Yes, personally, I missed a greater diversity of Pokemons in Legends, especially in the late/post game. As for SwSh and BDSP, the large number and variety of Pokémon seems to be enough.

I don't understand why people still bring up competitive balance when it comes to the dexcut. The native to Kalos marker was a thing. Just blanket ban Pokémon instead of not programming into the games. Not hard

I don't understand why people still bring up competitive balance when it comes to the dexcut. The native to Kalos marker was a thing. Just blanket ban Pokémon instead of not programming into the games. Not hard
the native Kalos marker could be gotten by breeding a pokemon not native to the region though. but yeah, for competitive play, they might as well have blanket banned certain mons.

Honestly, it they brought back National Dex, that would be really, really nice.
But I've made peace with the fact that they most likely won't.

Still hoping that they'll found a solid solution that'll satisfy most people tho.

They most likely won't, if we are to be realistic. I had hoped SwSh would be patched after BDSP and PLA, but it sadly wasn't. Regular Dex-updates would've been nice.

Especially because the competitive scene is as dead as a doornail.

I feel the same way I did with SwSh. Which is that it doesn't affect the way I play through the game since I always use new Pokemon anyway and never transfer my Pokemon between games.

I think a solution which could work for battling at least is a game along the lines of Battle Revolution or Stadium which is just for Pokemon battles. That way they don't need to do extra animations for features such as camping and walking but it's still possible to transfer in any Pokemon to battle competitively.

At the moment Home is a joke. We pay for a service that doesn't even update its clients for any news on delays.
Alola didn't have a national dex but at least it had the mons.
Cutting pokémon for me is kinda of dumb, specially if they cut the ones that were already in PLA, because they're already 100% animated and functional.
We are trying to justify them cutting some monsters because it makes the game more interesting. It doesn't. Pokémon was built in the motto "Gotta catch them all", and at this point in time, that isn't possible.
When something loses its identity decline in quality is the more usual end

They most likely won't, if we are to be realistic. I had hoped SwSh would be patched after BDSP and PLA, but it sadly wasn't. Regular Dex-updates would've been nice.

Especially because the competitive scene is as dead as a doornail.
Maybe Gamefreak stoking resentment between the competitive scene and hard-core collectors was a bad idea. Cutting the dex didn't turn Pokémon into an e sport and thinking that it might later down the line is foolish.

TPC should do one the following:
A) just accept that VGC is unpopular
B) Pull the plug at least temporarily
C) Make better and shorter animations to make it more interesting to watch
D) Just market it better
E) Change the rules. Go from bring 6 choose 4 doubles to bring 30 choose 6 triples or something

Yeah I know VGC players won't like some of these suggestions but they would be a vocal minority just like the higher profile vgc players mocked bbnd for being. The point is VGC could use the good PR of not being blamed for the dexcut if the dexcut was done away with

We are trying to justify them cutting some monsters because it makes the game more interesting. It doesn't. Pokémon was built in the motto "Gotta catch them all", and at this point in time, that isn't possible.
When something loses its identity decline in quality is the more usual end
Regardless of opinions on the dex policy change, it wasn't. That's only the english/international motto, so it's not what Pokémon was built on.

Has Gotta Catch 'em all literally ever been possible though Excluding gen 1? Maybe if the motto was "Gotta catch and/or transfer in from bank/home 'em all!"

Has Gotta Catch 'em all literally ever been possible though Excluding gen 1? Maybe if the motto was "Gotta catch and/or transfer in from bank/home 'em all!"
it was possible in gen 3 and 6. would have been possible in gen 4 if the regis were available without event.

also, i really don't get what VGC has to do with the Dexit

I don’t think I’ll be able to do that…

Attachments

• 97F6FECE-00C4-460A-B732-6EA20D6D4B15.gif
    97F6FECE-00C4-460A-B732-6EA20D6D4B15.gif
    860.7 KB · Views: 70
Growing up during the height of GOTTA CATCH 'EM ALL (pokemon!) fever, kid me never took the phrase literally. I mean, Ash in no way tried to catch every pokemon and he was the star of the anime. And they didn't have toys of EVERY pokemon, nor was every pokemon in a single version of the game. Kid me saw it as a catchy tagline. Like Frosted Flakes being "grrrrrrrrrrrrreat!" They were and still are edible at best.

Then again I am a weird brain person so that could just be me.

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom