• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

National Dex in Scarlet and Violet?

SeanWheeler

Reaction score
Sword and Shield made the controversial move of Dexit, completely cutting the National Dex and barring any Pokémon not in the Galar Dex from being transferred into Sword and Shield. The Isle of Armor and Crown Tundra expanded on what could be found in Sword and Shield, but there's still Pokémon trapped in Pokémon Home.

Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl did have a National Dex, but it was the Gen 4 National Dex, meaning the new Pokémon since Unova cannot be obtained in the Sinnoh remakes.

And Legends Arceus, being a game where you complete the first Pokédex in history doesn't have a National Dex.

So there are still a bunch of Pokémon stuck in Pokémon HOME. Do you think Scarlet and Violet could have the National Dex so that you can transfer all your Pokémon to Scarlet and Violet? Would all the Pokémon still stuck at Home end up in Scarlet and Violet's regional Dex? Or will there be Pokémon stuck in the Home app for eternity? I just want Ash-Greninja available in a game for once.

Hoppip's in Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl's post-game along with all the original 493 Pokémon. Hoppip is not a good example. The ones still trapped in Pokémon Home are Unova, Kalos and Alola Pokémon.

Hoppip's in Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl's post-game along with all the original 493 Pokémon. Hoppip is not a good example. The ones still trapped in Pokémon Home are Unova, Kalos and Alola Pokémon.
I know they don't operate this way when it comes to choosing what Pokémon should be included in what dex, but I'm hoping the majority of the returning 'mons are mostly derived from these 3 regions.

I know they don't operate this way when it comes to choosing what Pokémon should be included in what dex, but I'm hoping the majority of the returning 'mons are mostly derived from these 3 regions.
As long as those Pokémon trapped at Home is included in the Spanish-inspired region's Pokédex, it's fine.

Well so far all revealed Pokemon in the region were available in some form in Gen 8.

Serebii says Flabebe was in the trailer - I didn't see it. Was that available or not in Isle of Armour/Crown Tundra?

Otherwise these are the outstanding Pokemon lines:

Snivy
Tepig
Patrat
Pansage
Pansear
Panpour
Blitzle
Sewaddle
Ducklett

Deerling
Alomomola
Tynamo

Meloetta
Chespin
Fennekin
Froakie
Scatterbug
Litleo
Flabebe
Skiddo

Furfrou
Hoopa
Pikipek
Yungoos
Crabrawler
Oricorio

Minior
Komala
Bruxish

I think ones in bold fit the region at the very least - not that that really plays a role since Galar was full of random mons and the Wild Area was a joke.

Gen 5 should get remakes in Gen 9 so those should all be available if they fail to make it to Spain. And then technically since Gen 6 is France, those could be just like special trades or something - but once again, why would they implement that besides getting these Pokemon onto the Switch.

That just leaves Yungoos, Minior and Komala. The last of which won't really fit in any region anyway but Australia lol.

Considering the pattern of remakes getting released in even numbered generations that are doubled from their original generations (with the exception of FRLG), I would expect the Black and White remakes in Generation X.

Considering the pattern of remakes getting released in even numbered generations that are doubled from their original generations (with the exception of FRLG), I would expect the Black and White remakes in Generation X.
Eh, if they wanna revisit Unova this gen I doubt that’ll be the thing that stops them. Don’t forget LGPE too, that followed no patterns at all lmao

I think the real pattern is one remake per console*, so I don't think we're getting Unova until the Switch successor.

* With Let's Go being kind of its own thing**

** But still generally following the pattern of revisiting the oldest (Kanto remakes having come after Hoenn, so Kanto re-remakes after Hoenn remakes), which is why I kind of think Johto is due for something and suspect we could get Legends Celebi*** after the inevitable SV DLC****, though that's certainly getting ahead of ourselves.

*** Celebi is also a time traveler, to maintain the isekai nature of Legends, so we have a method of our character being pulled into the past.

**** I can't think of any more colors that end in -let or that would be appropriate to name the DLC after like how Armor/Crown went with SwSh. Hm, there's gotta be something that fits.

Yes this post was fun to compose, why do you ask

Last edited:
Well so far all revealed Pokemon in the region were available in some form in Gen 8.

Serebii says Flabebe was in the trailer - I didn't see it. Was that available or not in Isle of Armour/Crown Tundra?

There appear to be a few of them sitting in the grass by the player's house.

Check 2:14 in the trailer. They're really tiny (but that's accurate scaling, as the dex says they're only 4 in/0.1 m tall), but they seem to be there.

Last edited:
I think at this point the national dex is a thing of the past. No skin off my nose, though. For the longest time pokemon was the odd one out in having every mon avaliable to be brought into the game via trade and stuff if it wasn't native to the region. Monster Rancher and Digimon always had some mons that didn't appear in one game or another.

As long as the actual region's pokedex is diverse enough that I don't run into the same common mon 9 out of 10 times over whatever counts as the equivalent of routes in these games I'll be fine. Well. That and there being like 6 legendairies at most. All I need is a themed trio and a box legends + 1 trio. And if we MUST, like only 1 mythical would be fantastic because I already loathe the existence of those limited edition limited release status mons anyway.

I've said it before and I'll say it again that I don't care too much about the games not including the national dex. I accidentally deleted the save file that had all of my Pokemon and since I did that I've kept every Pokemon to their own generation and treat each game as more standalone - so I don't do any transfer. I've also expected this since 1,000 Pokemon is a lot to model and animate especially if they want to include new features like we had with the campsite feature or Pokemon following you.

I understand that most people don't care but it used to be the bare minimum and they had Home and Bank Subscriptions to pay for it from those who do care.

But apparently the bare minimum is too much to ask for in 2022

It's gone people. I was mad too, trust me I have a living dex, all forms, 300 something shiny pokemon and a ton of event pokemon. But I think it makes sense for a few reasons

1. The pokemon who do make it in get more attention, this includes new move, model fixes, and better animations (PLA as my example not swsh, which I feel was likely a very rushed game that may have started on the 3ds)

2. Competitive. The seasons for Competitive were varied with each series, and it let some niche pokemon like Vileplume of all things do well (until venusaur returned)

3. Do we really need 1000 pokemon all in one game? When was the last time you used more than 20 in a single playthrough? Even in 5 playthroughs where you use 6 unique pokemon every time you only use 30 (plus evolutions)

I get that some people want to take their favorites with them into every game but this also means you get to branch out and find new favorites, also when your favorite comes back it'll mean more than if it was in every team you use.

That said I do want my favorite, scorbunny, to return and hopefully atleast as a transfer only pokemon, but if it doesn't that's fine too. There's 80-100 new pokemon to use and plenty of old ones, I can live.

3. Do we really need 1000 pokemon all in one game? When was the last time you used more than 20 in a single playthrough?
Do we? No. When have I ever? Never.

I'm here for the chaos put em all in and watch everything go crazy!! I don't really care either way, so long as I don't see the same three pokemon for half the game because the regional dex is too limited. There's a reason I've heavily considered just never playing Leaf Green again. ...Well besides the fact the game slogs for a bit between mount moon and fighting the rival at nugget bridge especially in a nuzlocke.

I'm the kind of person who would try to find a way to have 50 wild pokemon chasing me and would just cackle like a drunk witch as the framerate dies.

fully on board with this
gen v pokemon have really grown on me

3. Do we really need 1000 pokemon all in one game? When was the last time you used more than 20 in a single playthrough? Even in 5 playthroughs where you use 6 unique pokemon every time you only use 30 (plus evolutions)
Well -

A. I'm sure there are people who would like to be able to have a living dex in each game, and

B. If I do happen to want a specific Pokemon to fill a role on my team, and it's one of the ones cut, obviously I'm gonna be annoyed. Why should I have to make do with a "good enough" substitute? I can understand that logic.

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom