• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

National Dex in Scarlet and Violet?

My main issue with Dexit this gen is that there are going to be a lot more Pokémon added this time (around 120 apparently) so if the dex is 400-450 Pokémon, only around 1/3 of old Pokémon can come back.

I'm hoping that a NatDex addition would come post-launch if we get it at all. Like, when the DLC starts rolling out drop chunks of Pokémon into the dex via a free update, so you can transfer them from HOME, get them traded in from another player, or catch them yourself in the newly released DLC, somewhat like Sw/Sh did with it's extras but...more, yknow?

I honestly don't think it's happening again but maybe some pokemon will be obtainable again. Who knows? I think by the time we get a new console and those games come out that we will have all pokemon obtainable but I just don't think the National Dex will ever be in a game again unless that's what they do for Gen 10

Sword and Shield made the controversial move of Dexit, completely cutting the National Dex and barring any Pokémon not in the Galar Dex from being transferred into Sword and Shield. The Isle of Armor and Crown Tundra expanded on what could be found in Sword and Shield, but there's still Pokémon trapped in Pokémon Home.

Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl did have a National Dex, but it was the Gen 4 National Dex, meaning the new Pokémon since Unova cannot be obtained in the Sinnoh remakes.

And Legends Arceus, being a game where you complete the first Pokédex in history doesn't have a National Dex.

So there are still a bunch of Pokémon stuck in Pokémon HOME. Do you think Scarlet and Violet could have the National Dex so that you can transfer all your Pokémon to Scarlet and Violet? Would all the Pokémon still stuck at Home end up in Scarlet and Violet's regional Dex? Or will there be Pokémon stuck in the Home app for eternity? I just want Ash-Greninja available in a game for once.
I doubt the switch could even handle it at this point, but i would really hope they allow at least the starters through the purge

Honestly, I've never seen the national dex as a bare minimum and am fine with not really having it. I've been with the series since the beginning and have cherished all the pokemon in all the games but for most of the time, until the 3DS I never was able to transfer pokemon from older games that were not able to be caught in other games. I get some are unhappy and ya, it sucks but, personally, I don't see an issue. I'm still looking forward to the games and I'm still looking forward to being a breeder in those games. No hate for the natdex just didn't have the opportunity to fully use it so I don't miss it. Also, doesn't Home kinda have a natdex?

Honestly, I've never seen the national dex as a bare minimum and am fine with not really having it. I've been with the series since the beginning and have cherished all the pokemon in all the games but for most of the time, until the 3DS I never was able to transfer pokemon from older games that were not able to be caught in other games. I get some are unhappy and ya, it sucks but, personally, I don't see an issue. I'm still looking forward to the games and I'm still looking forward to being a breeder in those games. No hate for the natdex just didn't have the opportunity to fully use it so I don't miss it. Also, doesn't Home kinda have a natdex?
you can transfer pokemon from gen 3 all the way to the present. it's not something new the 3ds introduced.

you can transfer pokemon from gen 3 all the way to the present. it's not something new the 3ds introduced.
I never said it was. I said I never had the opportunity to do it. I didn't have people to help me trade them to newer games and when the DS games came out all my gameboy and gameboy advance pokemon games got stolen by someone I thought was a friend. I never got the opportunity. And I never had the attachment for N64 to use them for the stadium games and never got the attachment for the gamecube and the special disc to sct like storage boxes either. I never said you couldn't I said never had the ability to before the 3DS, as in, I, me personally, could not transfer them over because I, again, me personally, didn't have the means. Hope I made things clearer in this post.

Honesrly, I'd be completely fine without having the whole national dex depending on what Pokémon they decide to cut out. I really don't need to see another Rattata or Pidgey again in my life.

Dexit did not specifically bother me, since I tend to play with the Pokémon that are introduced in the generation of its game. I do not train Pokémon from older generations at all -- that being said, what bothered me a lot back in the SwSh days was how they used the models as excuse for Dexit only to not meet the expectations that they had given off even the slightest. The battles were still as lazy as they could be, and there was no good amount of work being done on it. The approach and the outcome is what bothers me ultimately. They've done a fine job in Legends: Arceus at the very least, but 1 game out of 5 (SwSh, LGPE, BDSP, and assumingly SV) is not really a promising premise either. They could have as well just added the Pokémon models in higher resolutions, and everything would have worked just well.

To me the graphics and models in SwSh were not enough to justify cutting more than half of the Dex, made worse by the fact that the base game was barebones in terms of content (it's about as bare as XY and the DLC arguably didn't add enough to compensate either).

I still stick to my conspiracy theory that SWSH was more of a hold over game, and that they introduced the no nat dex thing there so it deals with the controversy instead of gen 9.

TBF I never really cared about the entire Pokédex being in a game, and I probably won't ever. I don't run around catching all the Pokémon available in a game; instead, I usually catch around 20-30 Pokémon per game and play with them instead. So, the presence of a National Dex is pretty much irrelevant to me.

That being said, I would definitely like to see Pokémon that didn't make the cut for SwSh return in SV. If anything, it would give fans of those Pokémon an opportunity to replay with their old Pokémon on Switch after they have been sitting idle in Pokémon Home for about 3 years.

Letting people put Pokémon into the app or whatever without having a National 'Dex was very irresponsible and frankly quite stupid. They need to either ban putting those Pokémon in if they never plan to bring them back, they need to implement the National 'Dex again, or they need to have these new games have the currently missing Pokémon in them right off of the bat (I'd consider this the laziest option, but it's better than nothing). Regardless of how one feels about the National 'Dex, getting players' Pokémon stuck in one area and having them be unusable was a very poor move. I wouldn't be surprised if it was an oversight that they never bothered to correct because it seems to me quality hasn't been much of an interest for Nintendo and Game Freak these recent years. Whether or not it's on Game Freak that this is happening is a debate for another time. The loss of the National 'Dex is indicative of a problem the games have had for a while now, which is putting out stuff of a lesser quality so they can save money.

For my own personal opinion, I'm never buying another Pokémon game until the National 'Dex makes a return. I care a lot about the quality of the games (the loss of the National 'Dex is one of the indicators that quality is no longer a concern), and I care a lot about what Pokémon was originally about. It was about collecting, taking on the challenge of discovering everything there was to discover. That's just not how it is anymore. The party is over for me personally, and I'll stick with my pre-Switch era games. Now, that doesn't mean I don't hope for a day when I can buy the games again, but I've also lost all expectations I've ever had for newer content. Like, it's over. I was mad about Sword and Shield, and I still am a little bit, but you know, you have to accept that some people eventually get left behind. One of my friends is a huge Fire Emblem fan, and from what I've heard her say, the series left her behind too. They just don't care about selling games to me and people like me. It is what it is.

The National 'Dex probably won't ever make a return. Nintendo and Game Freak see now what they can get away with. They can kill the National 'Dex and even sell DLC that adds more Pokémon. Ones that should've been there for free in my opinion, since the original excuse was that they didn't have the time or manpower to do all the modeling. Clearly they did have the time eventually, but instead they decided to sell a feature that should've been provided for free. People grumble, but what they put out still sells. As I said earlier, the party is over. It's time for me to get up and go home. I'm still in the process of making my peace with that fact, but I'll get there eventually.

It's funny. I used to make fun of people obsessed with saying all the new games are bad, they're trash, Game Freak doesn't care anymore, etc. The irony isn't lost on me that I've also begun to make those complaints. I suppose you either die a fan or live long enough to become the guy who sits in their room playing the same games over and over again.

@DarkMeow another piece of irony is that I wouldn't be mad (or at least AS mad) at Gamefreak if they just never had the app in the first place. The unethical part of removing the national dex is the trying to have their cake and eat it too to the consumers' detriment.

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom