• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

National Dex in Scarlet and Violet?

We are at 900+ Pokémon. Are there really still people who want them to bring back the National Dex and code in every Pokémon? If they did, the quality of the models would suffer due to how many. Like, Seviper would not have a scaly look to it if all 900+ Pokémon were in the game.

i understand why people are pissed that their mons are stuck in home, but i'd personally dislike it if there wasn't somewhere i could store all of my livingdex. especially with the removal of the national dex, being able to bring everything into home is kinda a must-have for players like me who still want to catch them all. keeping all 900+ pokemon in the games forever wasn't doable, so there's really no way they could have pleased everyone. though i guess they could have done something like include a warning when transferring that certain pokemon would not be able to be brought into SwSh.

We are at 900+ Pokémon. Are there really still people who want them to bring back the National Dex and code in every Pokémon? If they did, the quality of the models would suffer due to how many. Like, Seviper would not have a scaly look to it if all 900+ Pokémon were in the game.
They could have all pokemon in the code and have specific textures for various pokemon if the gaps between games were bigger than one single year. In fact, we got three games in one year which is completely insane.

But of course they aren't gonna widen the gap between releases (everyone that says that the extra time wouldn't make a difference have no clue on what goes into game development) because the games sell well regardless of quality. BDSP was a clear rush job and that still sold well.

I legit would love to wait like at least four full years between releases (like many franchises do like God of War) if it meant it would actually led to fantastic, incredibly polished games (even the best that came out recently could have been far better and certainly a lot more polished).

Last edited:
If you mean in general and not just between gens. that would make generations be like... 8 Years long. The anime and competitive scene cant survive 8 Years between big changes (New pokemon and a new reigon respectively). And thats not counting any legends like games thrown in which would extend that.
What i think you mean is a 4 year development time, of which pokemon aleady gets 3 so it wouldn't be as large a gap as "4 years between releases"

If you mean in general and not just between gens. that would make generations be like... 8 Years long.
I think the whole generation thing should have died ages ago or not exist at all. It greatly limits the amount of time the games get worked because they have to be funneled into this strict gap to justify something being called a generation.

The anime and competitive scene cant survive 8 Years between big changes (New pokemon and a new reigon respectively).
They can survive just fine because many others do. The games should be the one dictating the pace and not the other way around. In Yu-Gi-Oh the card game is the one dictating the pace and not the anime and the merch.

And it's not like you can't update competitve and add smaller content between releases to be used in the anime. You know, DLC?

of which pokemon aleady gets 3 so it wouldn't be as large a gap as "4 years between releases"
I don't count pre-development years where not very much gets actually developed and then the actual development of the game is most likely like a year, which is the only explanation why the games are just getting shorter, easier and with less and less content because that's quicker to develop. Plus there's the fact that the team tends to split on multiple projects and makes me wonder if maybe one of those projects could be a lot of better if everyone was actually involved.

I genuinely mean you release a mainline game and then release only other mainline title four years later, maybe more. In between you can have other companies do the smaller scaled spin-offs and do your DLC, but no mainline titles in between. No cranking out a mainline title every year which they have been doing for many years now with very few exceptions. Of course i make this wish with the assumption that it would lead to better made games which is, well, an assumption.

Last edited:
They had a whole ass major megacorporation that did very little except modeling for other Pokémon projects including gamefreak's

@Articfoxgamez Competitive smash bros players have been playing the same game since 2001. When Singles, doubles, rotation, and triple battles and hundreds of Pokemon exist there are endless possibilities how they can make new rulesets whenever they want. VGC is relatively tiny in terms of viewership.

They had a whole ass major megacorporation that did very little except modeling for other Pokémon projects including gamefreak's

@Articfoxgamez Competitive smash bros players have been playing the same game since 2001. When Singles, doubles, rotation, and triple battles and hundreds of Pokemon exist there are endless possibilities how they can make new rulesets whenever they want. VGC is relatively tiny in terms of viewership.
Was that not only for taking care of the transition to 3D and not maintained after? Or am I misremembering? Because I understand it as them only having had that for the transition to Gen 6 with the models being made future-proofed so that all GF would need to do is update the textures (which is also a detailed process to get right). But like... even still, even if we ignore the modeling issue-game balance is a massive concern. Imagine if Shedinja was in ScaVi. Air Balloon Electric Tera Shedinja would be really common forcing Hail and Sand teams to be necessary just to stop it. And, let's be honest, they're already struggling with competitive balance given Houndstone with Last Respects having 300 Base Power in 6v6 or 200 BP in VGC... before STAB and Terastalyzation. Honestly... I don't want to give them more to have to think about. Especially since Power Creep is a Double-Edged Honedge. But that's just me.

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom