• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Natures, the Bane of My Life

Frenzy Plant

Grass-type fanatic
Reaction score
Natures. I hate 'em. I love 'em at the same time. I didn't bother with natures until Diamond and Pearl were released.

Now I soft-reset at the start of each game so my starter has the right nature; I can't have a Pokémon on my team unless I catch it with the desired nature or I waste hours breeding the Pokémon for the perfect nature on another game; soft-resetting to before the egg hatches, then trading the egg over and hatching it on the game it's meant for.

I know in the story mode, natures make little difference; but I can't help myself. I think I'm OCD about it. When I sit down to play the game now I get quickly put off because I spend ages breeding for the right nature rather than just enjoying it!

Anyone else suffering like me? :p

I'm in the same boat as you. I didn't really care about natures at first, but starting with DP, it really bothered me if I got a bad nature for a Pokemon on my team. Granted, a Pokemon doesn't need the best nature for me to use it (storyline-wise), but I couldn't use a Modest Beldum, for example. No way.

I'm pretty much like that as well. When I first played Sapphire, I thought Natures were just a cool flavor text, but when I learned that it affects things like your stats, that's when I became anal about getting one that boosts ones greatest stats. Of course, I don't go as wild for my in-game team, basically if someone has good Special Attack, I don't mind it getting a Rash or Mild Nature, but if it's my competitive one, that's where I aim for things like Modest.

I really could not give two shits about natures. I just build my Pokémon's movepools around whatever stats they have - if one's higher or lower than another, I'll just give them moves that reflect that.

^^^ I'm the same way as above. The only time I have ever payed attention to a Pokemon's nature was the Riolu egg I got in my latest Pearl file. I prefer the Special attacking Lucario, but I got a Jolly egg, so now its a Physical attacker. First time I have ever cared about a nature since my Sapphire way back when.

I remember getting on the Perfect Nature craze when I got my Ruby. I had like, 2 Boxes full of "imperfect" Heracross.

I don't care about getting the perfect nature for Pokémon I will be using, however I don't want a nature that will affect it negatively.

I have never cared about Natures...and I don't think I ever will. I play the game, you know, like a normal person. Just play it. :/

I don't EV train...though I do infect my Pokemon with PKRS just because of the vry slight bonus it brings, but I don't go nuts with it.
I don't soft reset to get the right nature. When I catch a legendary, I don't check its nature; I just go "COOL! I CAUGHT [such and such]!! WOO!"
Then I just get them to lv100...

I have this same problem. It was while playing my Diamond game that I first started looking into online Pokémon resources and discovered the extent to which you can control a Pokémon's stats, which I had previously thought were pretty random and didn't bother myself much about. Now I EV train obsessively (in fact, EV training has become my favorite part of the game) and I can't stand using a Pokémon whose nature is completely unsuited to it.

I haven't been able to properly enjoy the story mode since I discovered the meaning of natures and EVs; I do use Pokémon with bad natures while playing through the game for the first time because I can't be bothered to spend time catching dozens of Hoothoot before heading into the first gym, but as soon as I've reached a point in the game where I can conveniently start crafting my Pokémon's stats, I dump my original team in the PC and break out the Everstones for nature breeding.

I draw the line at IVs, though. Can't be bothered to be constantly noting down stat values and plugging them into IV calculators, plus I'd probably go crazy before I found any Pokémon I was willing to train.

I have this same problem. It was while playing my Diamond game that I first started looking into online Pokémon resources and discovered the extent to which you can control a Pokémon's stats, which I had previously thought were pretty random and didn't bother myself much about. Now I EV train obsessively (in fact, EV training has become my favorite part of the game) and I can't stand using a Pokémon whose nature is completely unsuited to it.

I haven't been able to properly enjoy the story mode since I discovered the meaning of natures and EVs; I do use Pokémon with bad natures while playing through the game for the first time because I can't be bothered to spend time catching dozens of Hoothoot before heading into the first gym, but as soon as I've reached a point in the game where I can conveniently start crafting my Pokémon's stats, I dump my original team in the PC and break out the Everstones for nature breeding.

I draw the line at IVs, though. Can't be bothered to be constantly noting down stat values and plugging them into IV calculators, plus I'd probably go crazy before I found any Pokémon I was willing to train.

I totally agree mate, IV's are a big no no for me. I enjoy having a life, I can't be bothered tryng to work out the perfect IV stats. Though I do give my pokemon perfect natures and then EV train them, but thats as far as it goes.

I am EXACTLY, to the letter, the same as you.

For in-game teams, I like to have natures that don't hinder the Pokémon's good stats, but competitively, the right nature is necessary.

I have never cared about Natures...and I don't think I ever will. I play the game, you know, like a normal person. Just play it. :/

I don't EV train...though I do infect my Pokemon with PKRS just because of the vry slight bonus it brings, but I don't go nuts with it.
I don't soft reset to get the right nature. When I catch a legendary, I don't check its nature; I just go "COOL! I CAUGHT [such and such]!! WOO!"
Then I just get them to lv100...

Someone with common sence! *High Fives*

I don't care about getting the perfect nature for Pokémon I will be using, however I don't want a nature that will affect it negatively.
This, at least in-game. Unless it's the absolutely worst Nature for that Pokémon in particular (Impish Abra, for example), I'll settle with what I get, even if it isn't the best. It's only when I focus on properly training a Pokémon that I look out for what I think is the best for them.

Once I found out that they affected stats I've been obsessive about getting good natures, no matter how long it takes.

I only want my Pokémon's natures to be decent at worst. I'm OK with my docile Weavile, but I wouldn't want a modest Weavile.

Natures don't matter for me. I train my mon's around their stats, not forcing them to be a certain way. I like my Pokemon the way they are. My Serious Poochyena and Bold Typhlosion might take offense to you trying to change their personalities. I love my Pokemon like they're my animals, and I don't care if you guys think that's messed up.

I'm not fussed about natures while I play the story, but when the story is done, I'm a nature freak, breeding for days sometimes just to find that perfect nature, often I chainbreed for moves as well (for example breed Medicham with Ice Punch with Buneary, breed Buneary with Ice Punch with Sneasel, then spend hours breeding to get an adamant/jolly Sneasel with Ice Punch)

I'm not an OCD person but when the story is done...

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom