• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

POPULAR: Need a Name Thread

Okay, anyone got a good suggestions for an Omniscient Council of Vagueness that is themed around dimensions? It has to sound at least neutral-ish, if you get what I mean.

By dimensions do you mean alternate dimensions?

Personally, I would name such an organisation after an inspiration of some kind. For example, the first credited reference to parallel universes (of a sort) is Plato ("Platonism") so something like the Plato Corporation, Plato Council, Plato Group, or Plato Committee. Additionally, through some quick googling I have learned that "The Greek word Antichthon (Greek: Ἀντίχθων) means "Counter-Earth", so that may also be an option.

I need a title for this oneshot I'm working on. It's about a serial killer (gee I wonder which one) stuck in a recurring dream or is it... of being locked up in a mental asylum. Most of the story takes place inside his cell, an all white cube with one bed and a glass wall facing a hallway... you know, the stereotypical stuff. Accompanying him is a big ol' angry wolf monster sometimes. Atmosphere is unsettling due to inconsistent reality and rude nurses.

Have thought of something like or containing vivarium or enclosure, but the former's definition seems to imply the environment to be at least sort of mimicking a natural habitat and the latter one isn't as catchy. Thoughtsies?

I need a title for this oneshot I'm working on. It's about a serial killer (gee I wonder which one) stuck in a recurring dream or is it... of being locked up in a mental asylum. Most of the story takes place inside his cell, an all white cube with one bed and a glass wall facing a hallway... you know, the stereotypical stuff. Accompanying him is a big ol' angry wolf monster sometimes. Atmosphere is unsettling due to inconsistent reality and rude nurses.

Have thought of something like or containing vivarium or enclosure, but the former's definition seems to imply the environment to be at least sort of mimicking a natural habitat and the latter one isn't as catchy. Thoughtsies?

Well, knowing the character you're talking about, the word "vivarium" implying a "natural habit" kinda has an ironic meaning. He may not think it's his natural habitat, but he knows society sure thinks it is. Don't have any other ideas at this very moment, but I thought I'd say that. xD

Insanatorium? (a word mingle of insane and sanatorium, of course)

Hmm.. might end up going with Vivarium after all, then. I tried how the title would look on a banner I made and it grew on me.

Need (nick)names for two brothers who are part of a gang in which all members have nicknames based on some identifiable characteristic (appearance, personality, achievements, or personal history). The older brother is strong, silent type, and very physically strong. The younger brother is basically the exact opposite. They're both teenagers.

Need (nick)names for two brothers who are part of a gang in which all members have nicknames based on some identifiable characteristic (appearance, personality, achievements, or personal history). The older brother is strong, silent type, and very physically strong. The younger brother is basically the exact opposite. They're both teenagers.

Pokemon nicknames are always a good choice. Strong can be something like Ursaring, Blastoise or Nidoking, weak and talkative can be something like Chatot or Pikachu. If you're not writing a pokefic, just replace Pokemon with animals and you have about the same effect. For strength, there are also mountains and sturdy trees.

Diablo
Doom
Cobra
Kraken
Gunner
Knuckles

Names like that for the older brother...?

@canisares I like that idea, however I'm a bit worried it'll end up getting confusing. I took a related strategy with the older brother and went with the name "Tank", partially based off the metagame strategy.

@diamondpearl876 Thanks for those suggestions - they're exactly the kind of thing I had in mind. As you can see, I've actually already settled on a name by now (sorry I didn't mention earlier) but Kraken and Gunner in particular are names I think I will keep on the shelf for future names for gang members that I will inevitably end up needing.

Thank you both!

Looking for the name of a female dratini (calm nature, somewhat vain in game speak).

Trainer kind of has a mythology and spirituality thing, with a Christian emphasis (but not exclusivity). Trainer is from the mainland United States, lives in Alola for language purposes.

Looking for the name of a female dratini (calm nature, somewhat vain in game speak).

Trainer kind of has a mythology and spirituality thing, with a Christian emphasis (but not exclusivity). Trainer is from the mainland United States, lives in Alola for language purposes.

Time to put that Bible study knowledge to good use.

-Mary (obvious)
-Rachel (wife of mother of dream-seer Joseph, means "ewe", sheep are a symbol of meekness)
-Sarah (wife of Abraham, means "princess/noblewoman", beautiful, the one who laughed at being told she would still have a child in her old age)
-Theresa (after Mother Theresa)

Non-Biblical names (Finnish mythology in this case):

-Ilmatar (air goddess, important figure in the creation of the world, name is a feminine derivative of ilma, "air")
-Aino (a woman in Finnish mythology promised to the great wizard Väinämöinen as a wife, but didn't want to marry an old coot so drowned herself, some myths say she continued to live under the sea)
-Vellamo (goddess of water, lakes and seas, wears a blue dress made from seafoam)
-Kuutar (goddess of the moon in, you guessed it, Finnish mythology)

Allanna
Chesna
Minika
Nalanie (means "the calm sky", re: our convo on lizard birbs)

So, I need a little help coming up with a title for my story. It's basically your classic journey fic taking a lot of story beats from Black and White. Any suggestions or just some general advice for story naming would be greatly appreciated.

So, I need a little help coming up with a title for my story. It's basically your classic journey fic taking a lot of story beats from Black and White. Any suggestions or just some general advice for story naming would be greatly appreciated.

well, you can ask yourself what makes your story unique, and then utilize that in the name. if that's not enough, you can borrow from the themes of black and white - either the games themselves or the duality of the two colors in general. hard to give more specific advice with so little detail given

I need to come up with a name for my upcoming Agápe rewrite. It's about a guy out to ruin a pop star's career because she's too distracting for his pet god. Thinking of using something with the word "siren". Thoughts?

You don't want to use your original title?

That's fair - and using the word siren in the title isn't a bad idea. I notice both words have a Greek origin, perhaps you could go somewhere with that, such as having the title be Hellenicised.

You don't want to use your original title?

Nah, thinking back on it, it didn't have that much to do with the actual story to begin with. This, and I don't want people to think this rewrite is just a slight revision - the plot changes quite a bit.

That's fair - and using the word siren in the title isn't a bad idea. I notice both words have a Greek origin, perhaps you could go somewhere with that, such as having the title be Hellenicised.

Neat, I didn't even think about how sirens had to do with Greek too. So far I'm leaning on stuff like "slaying the siren" or so, though. Fits how the main character tends to be melodramatic at times.

Thinking of a name for a canalside pub, strongly reminiscent of English pub names. A few candidates I've already got: The Red Fox, The Weepinbell, The Navigation, The Iron Angel.

Red Fox and Weepinbell have the virtue of being pokémon-related. The Iron Angel is appropriate to the setting, which does strengthen the worldbuilding. The Navigation is a typical name for pubs alongside canals or railways. None of these seem quite right to me

Back
Top Bottom