• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

POPULAR: Need a Name Thread

As for a question about that: My universe has a certain question mark on that. You see, mon can be civilized alongside human beings, although wild mon exist aplenty too. Would you think that would discourage such names? For humans, mostly, but also for species that aren't of the one their name refers to.

In the real world, there are surnames and names that are shared with countries and ethnic groups.

Take for instance, Berber. It's most well known as the name of an ethnic group from Northern Africa. But it's also the surname of a few people: Berber - Wikipedia.

Now it could be argued that the Berber example is mere coincidence. But I highly doubt the city of Amsterdam and the people (Amsterdam (disambiguation) - Wikipedia) with the surname fall under the same category.

As for offense to the civilized 'mons, it's entirely possible that some of the more proud ones might take offense to it.

"Moore" and variants is a similar case, also referring to North African Muslims at one time and now a not-uncommon surname.

Don't forget it has been relatively common to have surnames just be the job the family traditionally does. A lot of Western names have this origin. Thus, you can have six people with the last name Smith and none of them related to each other.

Hello, anyone got a good sobriquet/pseudonym for an individual that doesn't think of themself an actual living being? Like, someone who considers themself as a doll and/or a being without a physical body?

For a doll? Pinocchio, Golem.

Without a physical body? Geist.

Anyone fancy contributing some ideas for pokémorph names to Different Eyes? Specifically, the characters that make up the bulk of the cast are pokémon who've been hybridised with human DNA. Some may have had names given to them by trainers, some may have "names" which they can translate into spoken human languages, some may never have had a name at all and need to choose one.

I used to have quite a stockpile of names but I'm more and more unhappy with my older ideas and I'm becoming eager for suggestions.

So far I've introduced the following names. These are very unlikely to change.
  • Salem, purrloin-morph, f. Name given by human companion.
  • Church, gogoat-morph, m. Name adopted in honour of deceased human companion.
  • Alisha, zoroark-morph, f. Name taken from human genetic donor.

Soon to come are these guys. I'm open to alternatives, here.
  • Dusk, sneasel-morph, f. Name is an abbreviated approximate equivalent of tribal name given by other sneasel. Sarcastic, ambitious, egotistical.
  • Andrea, gallade-morph, f. Name given by former trainer. Introspective, disciplined, wistful.
  • Verity, skarmory-morph, f. Name chosen by herself for its meaning, i.e. "truth, particularly an important principle or belief". Callous, manipulative, logical.
  • Sunny, eevee-morph, m. Nickname given by another morph in reference to disposition. Later adopts the name "Solace" for its meaning, i.e. "comfort in a time of distress." Anxious, compassionate, thoughtful.
  • Raphael, blaziken-morph, m. Name given by former trainer. Protective, short-tempered, cynical.
  • ???, absol-morph, m. Ageing prematurely, fatalistic, utilitarian.

I have other morphs that will turn up that I don't have names for at this time, and I'm always happy to hear suggestions for morphs I haven't even thought of yet. Rather than give away all my (very fluid) plans, I'll just leave the board wide open.

@unrepentantAuthor What's your primary concern? Do you want the names to be believable? Symbolic? Awesome? Maybe a mix of things?

For instance, I did a google of "Rapheal" and the first page of results are all Raphael the Renaissance painter. I've also heard he's a pretty famous ninja turtle. Would that symbolism make sense for your character? Or would you rather a name that makes your fic more internally consistant (he's named by a former trainer; in the canon of your work, how do trainers name Pokémon?) Or are you totally OK with stupid names that make no sense, but they're cool, so who cares?

Sorry for answering a question with more questions. Just wanted to hone in on what you're looking for before I start spitballing, get you some suggestions you'll like.

@Snuggle Tier List - it's a good question.

Honestly, trainers can and do name their charges all sorts of things. Kids might name them after a cartoon character or a food. Older trainers might use a virtue name, or a nature name, or a human name.

Morphs who weren't named by trainers or who don't want to keep their old names might pick a word they like, or a description of themselves, or even just use their species name if they're comfortable with it.

I'd actually like the name roster to be fairly diverse.

In tonight's discussion with off-forum friends, I've adopted the following names:
  • Veracity, for the skarmory. It's essentially the same, but also not just a human name.
  • Whiskey, for the absol. It's via the NATO phonetic alphabet, essentially a codename, with the fun bonus of having a maritime meaning of "I need medical assistance." Which he does. He's dying.
Not sure about a better name for "Raphael," but his deal is that he was obtained as a combusken by his kid trainer, by overprotective parents who wanted the biggest, strongest pokémon to look after their precious baby. He then proceeded to not take orders, get his ass kicked due to inexperience, and inadvertently let the kid seriously injure himself, prematurely ending the adventure for both of them. He still thinks of himself as everyone's overprotective big brother and his only conflict resolution method is beating people up to become Big Boss Chicken. Pecking order!

Raph's name should be legit for a preteen boy to choose. I originally picked it independently of the painter or the turtle, but a preteen boy would definitely name his aggressive big hero pokémon after the angry red "ninja squirtle," sure.

The phrase "ninja squirtle" is now permanently etched into my brain. This is a good thing.

So we got a preteen boy that wants something that sounds big and scary. I'm think something harsh-sounding, with bonus points for referencing birds. How about Roc?

Also, I noticed a female Gallade in there. Not sure if that's a plot point, though Fighting/Steel type combined with sum of adjectives combined with bucking gender norms made me think Mochizuki. Though it might be too obscure depending on her original trainer.

I'm making some assumptions about culture crossover into your canon, so I'll see how these float before tossing out some more.

EDIT: Idea. If literal references are too plot hole-y, perhaps a distortion on the name? For instance, "Mochizuki" into "Zuki"? That way, you could plausibility write off the inspirations as coincidences, while still keeping the name association.

Also, if you ever have an Zangoose or Seviper-morph, then Zangoose-morph is "Rikki" and Seviper-morph is "Nag/Nagaina", or I'm writing an angry letter to my congressional representative.

Last edited:
The culture in my fic is British. It was going to be pokebritain before Galar was announced. Now I'm stuck wondering if I should just hang tight and set the damn thing in Galar.

Ouch. That's a crap coincidence. Perhaps something medieval, then? Maybe Knight for gallade-morph?

Gallade is the only one who absolutely has to have a human name, I think. Gender doesn't matter too much but unisex names are better. Her being female is not so much a plot point as it is me disregarding the canon gender restriction entirely.

Gallade is the only one who absolutely has to have a human name, I think. Gender doesn't matter too much but unisex names are better. Her being female is not so much a plot point as it is me disregarding the canon gender restriction entirely.
Knee-jerk reaction is to use a name from the Knights of the Round Table. Of Wikipedia's list, Tristan popped out at me, though I'm not familiar with their story.

(I'm reminded of a comment on a fanfic which said that Pikachu was always female, so they should've made a male character a Raichu instead. How do you even end up thinking that...?)

I thought Raphael sounded fine, but I also think Roc sounds fine. Why does the Gallade need to have a human name?

Gallade is pushing harder than any other character to be recognised as an equal to humans. Her former trainer told her something that made it clear she was on the level of an animal, despite her intelligence and emotional capacity, so everything she does now is to be as close to human as possible. She makes the point regularly that becoming a hybrid barely changed her, in fact.

The culture in my fic is British. It was going to be pokebritain before Galar was announced. Now I'm stuck wondering if I should just hang tight and set the damn thing in Galar.

So far as I can tell you're unlikely to need to do much retrofitting to make it work. But, speaking as one who has been writing a Johto blended with British culture for years, there's also the option of ignoring it completely. I'm quite sure Galar will be British culture filtered through a very Japanese eye, so there'll still be room for highly authentic Britishness in fanfiction

Honestly, by the time it matters in the fic, Gen IX will probably be out.

I'd like to have some Galar species show up if I do go for that, mind. I'll probably do some edits to refer to some of the new mon in the pre-morph chapters.

Back
Top Bottom