• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

POPULAR: Need a Name Thread

Weird request.

I'm trying to name an app that trainers use to get rid of pokemon they don't want anymore (either because a new capture puts them above six, or they're downsizing after their journey's over to save on food bills), and then sells those pokemon to people who can't or don't want to go out and capture them. Stuck on ideas because I'm not good with one to two syllable catchy things.

Weird request.

I'm trying to name an app that trainers use to get rid of pokemon they don't want anymore (either because a new capture puts them above six, or they're downsizing after their journey's over to save on food bills), and then sells those pokemon to people who can't or don't want to go out and capture them. Stuck on ideas because I'm not good with one to two syllable catchy things.

Couple ideas I thought of:
  • Auto Pokénamer
  • Pokéname Generator

Last edited:
Weird request.

PokéXchange/Pokexchange? PokéSwap?
Couple ideas I thought of:
  • Auto Pokénamer
  • Pokéname Generator
That's not what this thread is for. Welcome to the forums, though.

Weird request.

RocketBAY?

I'm on the hunt for corporation names. I'm writing a scene where the POV character is in the stands of a Pokémon stadium, and I want them bombarded with ads. But rather than explicitly write out advertisements, I want the ads to be subtler, definitely present but lighter on the wordcount. "The So-and-So Instant Replay" and such.

While the corporations could deal in any business, I do have some established worldbuilding involving already-existing companies:

• Silph Co. and any other Poké Ball manufacturer/R&D hub is off-limits due to a plot-relevant monopoly.
• Pokémarts exist as an independent franchise; each Pokémart is a franchisee, like a fast food chain.
• In general, the tech level's slightly higher than typical Pokémon. Hovercars that skid over the ground both exist and are mass produced, for instance. No tech that doesn't exist somewhere in canon, but the cutting-edge stuff is more widely available.
• And in general, I'm going for a light cyberpunk vibe. The more subtle and more propagandistic the company name, the better.

Example I came up with is Neighborhood Investment Team. Plays off hometown pride while not actually being from your hometown, plus promoting brand loyalty/credibility by calling itself a "team". Subliminal stuff like that would be perfect, but I need a lot of it. As much as possible.

Why not Lysandre Labs Or the Aether Foundation. They seem like the kinds that would advertise themselves at sports stadiums.
Good idea. Unfortunately, there's been a significant time skip; if these organizations still exist after the events of their games, they'd need some serious rebranding. And long story short, the Aether Foundation's underwater.

(I also checked Bulbapedia's core series timeline, and it seems anything directly from canon is out. Without giving too much away, I'm playing with the multiverse theory; I'd need original names for internal consistency.)

Neighborhood Investment Team
I like where you're going with "Team" but it's not a legitimate legal entity type for a registered company in our world. It may be in your dystopian world with reduced corporate regulation, but it reads oddly to my eye. You might wish to consider calling them "Neighborhood Investments LLP" and adding a friendly marketing slogan. Just a thought — takes me forever to come up with satisfactory names myself.

I like where you're going with "Team" but it's not a legitimate legal entity type for a registered company in our world. It may be in your dystopian world with reduced corporate regulation, but it reads oddly to my eye. You might wish to consider calling them "Neighborhood Investments LLP" and adding a friendly marketing slogan. Just a thought — takes me forever to come up with satisfactory names myself.
Good point! Hmm...perhaps what I need is brand names, instead. Most advertisements I see (in the US, at least) use brand names with copyright/trademark disclaimers in small-but-legal print. The ™, ©, and ® symbols in particular; © for copyright, ® for officially register copyrights, and ™ for trademarks. For instance, you don't see an advertisment for "Nintendo of America LLC": you see a Nintendo trademark or slogan, or a copyrighted Nintendo product with some tiny print at the bottom. Since this is a stadium, I'd probably need to use brand names instead of full company names to decorate the scene, similar to an actual sports stadium.

@Snuggle Tier List
I came up with a few, although I'm not sure how cyberpunk-y they sound since I used Pokemon moves/abilities as inspiration for them. Stick on (TM)s, (C)s and (R)s as you wish.

Wellwish Labs (from the term "wellwisher")
Sigma Software
Sweetnature Corp.
Healbell Investments
Omniseer A.I. Studio (from omni + seer, seeing all)
Wideguard Software
Sunnyside Foundation

You could probably make good ones by using {name of locality} + Corp./Inc./Foundation if you want them to be linked to areas in your world.

A bunch of people commented within minutes of each other at the exact same time my power went out, so to keep this brief/avoid using all my mobile data: thank you everyone! I think I might modify some suggestions to better suit the world, but my brain gears are definitely now spinning.

I need a short, even abrupt name for a golett. I chose "Gil" only to become irritated by the alliteration when said together. "Gil" is genderless, and an unerringly polite go-fer bot.

Name story with my luxio, Luca. I'd like something straightforward and not especially feminine that also doesn't sound so close to "luxio." "Luca" is female and highly independent, living a solitary life out of town.

Back
Top Bottom