• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

POPULAR: Need a Name Thread

Been doing some brainstorming about Chaos Rising and was thinking of having Celtic explore other kingdoms as part or because of the current arc. As of the current chapter, Celtic has been to the Light Elves' Lumestia Kingdom (back when it was still a kingdom), and is currently in Delgunner Kingdom. Because of Gram he introduced us to the existence of the Flugel Kingdom, and we already know about Shadoria and Wichwoode, the Shadokor and Druid Kingdoms, respectively, but I want to think of some more kingdoms as possible places for Celtic to go to. One idea that I had would be sort of a continuation from Gram's introduction, where Celtic has to go to a desert kingdom to finish what Gram started there, as an unforeseen problem will have cropped up since Gram was last there. So, I need some name ideas for kingdoms, such as the aforementioned desert kingdom. If anyone has any ideas, feel free to lay them out, as I'm kinda coming up blank right now. Thanks in advance.

I just came up with an idea for a phantom thief Vaporeon OC. The only name I can think of for her is Valytra, which doesn't mean anything as far as I know. Does anyone have a better idea?

I just came up with an idea for a phantom thief Vaporeon OC. The only name I can think of for her is Valytra, which doesn't mean anything as far as I know. Does anyone have a better idea?

Valytra is a cute name on its own; I don’t know what further could be added. Perhaps “Pennyweight” could be her nickname? It’s an obscure word for a thief, and what I know of a phantom thief is that they’re polite and charming. A cuter nickname like Pennyweight could fit that, though the name you came up with is still good.

I have a question now for the name of my first Pokemon fanfic character, if you don’t mind. I imagine that he’s the sone of a family of jewelers in a mountain town in Galar region. Given how Galar only has 700 or so humans in game, I’m assuming that it would be larger in actuality due to the Law of Conservation of Detail.

Based on that assumption, the town name I thought of is “Gemston Glen” due to the presence of precious stones. The family name could be “Jueler” which is the Middle English term for a jeweler. Does any of this sound reasonable? (I’m still trying to think of a personal name for the young trainer and his family.)

I'm writing a Pokémon AU story where the characters are all living/messing around in a fictitious city in California, but I don't know what to name the city. I want it to sound like a California city while also making it clear that this is a fake city.

A lot of California cities have Spanish names ("Los Angeles" means "the angels", while "San Francisco" is the Spanish name for Saint Francis), but there are exceptions ("Anaheim" comes from "Ana", from the Santa Ana River, but also includes the German "heim" meaning "home". "Pasadena" means "Crown of the Valley" in the Ojibwe language, and "Oakland" from... well, oak trees and land.)

Last edited:
I have a question now for the name of my first Pokemon fanfic character, if you don’t mind. I imagine that he’s the sone of a family of jewelers in a mountain town in Galar region. Given how Galar only has 700 or so humans in game, I’m assuming that it would be larger in actuality due to the Law of Conservation of Detail.

Based on that assumption, the town name I thought of is “Gemston Glen” due to the presence of precious stones. The family name could be “Jueler” which is the Middle English term for a jeweler. Does any of this sound reasonable? (I’m still trying to think of a personal name for the young trainer and his family.)

Yeah, that sounds pretty reasonable.

What would be some good names for some Team Plasma grunts? I replaced Team Rocket in the Storm Gray version "Dreams by the Yard Full" with a boy and a girl Plasma grunt--and the Trio, Blair, and Whitlea (and eventually Nate and Rosa) will be crossing paths with these grunts a few times, so I felt it would be nice to name them.

What would be some good names for some Team Plasma grunts? I replaced Team Rocket in the Storm Gray version "Dreams by the Yard Full" with a boy and a girl Plasma grunt--and the Trio, Blair, and Whitlea (and eventually Nate and Rosa) will be crossing paths with these grunts a few times, so I felt it would be nice to name them.
Names based on the grayscale (aka shades of the color gray but I don't want to say shades of gray for obvious reasons).

Grey
Gray
Gainsboro
Davy (Davy's gray)
Jet
etc. etc.

More shades:

I'm writing a Pokémon AU story where the characters are all living/messing around in a fictitious city in California, but I don't know what to name the city. I want it to sound like a California city while also making it clear that this is a fake city.

A lot of California cities have Spanish names ("Los Angeles" means "the angels", while "San Francisco" is the Spanish name for Saint Francis), but there are exceptions ("Anaheim" comes from "Ana", from the Santa Ana River, but also includes the German "heim" meaning "home". "Pasadena" means "Crown of the Valley" in the Ojibwe language, and "Oakland" from... well, oak trees and land.)

Update: I think I have a name: El Angel (from "el ángel", meaning "angel" in Spanish. Los Angeles, as previously mentioned, comes from "los ángeles", meaning "the angels". El Angel is supposed to be a nearby city that sort of lives in the shadow of its much larger counterpart.)

Hi, I need a name for a village that'll come up in a later chapter of Chaos Rising. This village is a brewery village famous for its various meads, beers, and wines. I need a name that'll fit the village and its theme. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks in advance.

My immediate thought was to name it after name alcoholic drink:
Brandyburg (brandy)
Port Wine (port wine)
etc. etc.
This feels like a really corny idea, but if you like corny (or if you can be really subtle by naming it after a not so well known drink), go for it.

Last edited:
My immediate thought was to name it after name alcoholic drink:
Brandyburg (brandy)
Port Wine (port wine)
etc. etc.
This feels like a really corny idea, but if you like corny (or if you can be really subtle by naming it after a not so well known drink), go for it.
That's pretty much the idea that I was going for, although a more subtle name would be better, as most location names aren't punny in this world (or at least too punny). And, sadly, I'm not well-versed in alcoholic drinks, so I can't think of any brands or types of booze that would be better. Any other ideas?

That's pretty much the idea that I was going for, although a more subtle name would be better, as most location names aren't punny in this world (or at least too punny). And, sadly, I'm not well-versed in alcoholic drinks, so I can't think of any brands or types of booze that would be better. Any other ideas?
I'm not well versed either; I just look at the Wikipedia article:

This may be a strange request. But I'm looking for a way to describe the people of Orre without using the obvious stuff like Orrean and Orrite (In the lines of Kantonian and Unovan to named a few). I just don't like how either sound which is why I'm looking for an alternative to use (how for example in my fic Orre: The Desert, I used Johtonese instead of something like Johtonian to describe people from Johto since I didn't like how the former sounded off the tongue).

If anyone can think of anything I'll be real grateful and thanks in advance.

This may be a strange request. But I'm looking for a way to describe the people of Orre without using the obvious stuff like Orrean and Orrite (In the lines of Kantonian and Unovan to named a few). I just don't like how either sound which is why I'm looking for an alternative to use (how for example in my fic Orre: The Desert, I used Johtonese instead of something like Johtonian to describe people from Johto since I didn't like how the former sounded off the tongue).

If anyone can think of anything I'll be real grateful and thanks in advance.
The first thing that came to mind was Orrish, but I don't think that fits your criteria. I looked at the Wikipedia page for demonym (which has demonyms listed by their ending if you want to take a look) and looked at some more unusual demonyms (at least, what I would consider unusual); what about Orriard (from Spaniard), Orie (from Okie), Orreisian (from Parisian), or Oreños (from Salvadoreños). Alternatively, maybe you could use the name of a specific type of rock, gemstone, desert formation, etc. as the stem for the demonym, though you'd might have to justify why the people of Orre aren't named after the region.

The first thing that came to mind was Orrish, but I don't think that fits your criteria. I looked at the Wikipedia page for demonym (which has demonyms listed by their ending if you want to take a look) and looked at some more unusual demonyms (at least, what I would consider unusual); what about Orriard (from Spaniard), Orie (from Okie), Orreisian (from Parisian), or Oreños (from Salvadoreños). Alternatively, maybe you could use the name of a specific type of rock, gemstone, desert formation, etc. as the stem for the demonym, though you'd might have to justify why the people of Orre aren't named after the region.
Orreisian is good! I looked at the lists you link to and was considering a "tine" ending like Argentine or Byzantine, but I think Orreisian works better. Thanks!

Got another request. Due to how long Chaos Rising is becoming, I've realized that I'll need to give it a fifth season in order to give it enough time to complete the story, especially since the fourth season will be ending on a big note. However, since I name each season of any and all series I do (it helps keep them organized) I'm at a loss at what to call the fifth season. Obviously, it needs to have the word "Heroes" as part of it, as the other four seasons follow the same pattern (S1: Heroes Rising, S2: Dawn of Heroes, S3: Code of Heroes, S4: Age of Heroes), but I'm coming up with a blank for what to call it. Any ideas would be appreciated, especially since the fifth season will be the last one. Thanks in advance.

Got another request. Due to how long Chaos Rising is becoming, I've realized that I'll need to give it a fifth season in order to give it enough time to complete the story, especially since the fourth season will be ending on a big note. However, since I name each season of any and all series I do (it helps keep them organized) I'm at a loss at what to call the fifth season. Obviously, it needs to have the word "Heroes" as part of it, as the other four seasons follow the same pattern (S1: Heroes Rising, S2: Dawn of Heroes, S3: Code of Heroes, S4: Age of Heroes), but I'm coming up with a blank for what to call it. Any ideas would be appreciated, especially since the fifth season will be the last one. Thanks in advance.
If it's gonna be the last season, how about something like Legacy of Heroes, Heroes' Coda, something to do with endings

If it's gonna be the last season, how about something like Legacy of Heroes, Heroes' Coda, something to do with endings

Legacy of Heroes sounds perfect. Especially since this batch of Heroes have made history in more than one way (and not all of them in a good way chuckles). Thanks! ^_^

Back
Top Bottom